New York DPT 2019-2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I also just received an interview invite for LIU Brooklyn! However, I am not sure yet if I will be attending.

Same! The tuition is more than my goal range and its pretty far from me. Why are you considering not attending?

Members don't see this ad.

Same! The tuition is more than my goal range and its pretty far from me. Why are you considering not attending?
Tuition is also deterring me a bit. Their website says that they offer some merit-based aid, graduate assistant-ships and work study, to offset the cost, but those things only help so much. I've already been accepted elsewhere and before even receiving any aid the tuition for that program is $70,000 cheaper. I'm considering cost of living as well, especially with me wanting to get a one bedroom apartment.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone have any details on Stony Brook’s interview process??

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard back from Hunter?

Applied to NYMC early decision, was invited to attend their open house and meet with their faculty next week as well as a formal interview in the first week of October
Do you mind sharing how was the interview process was like for NYMC? :)

Do you mind sharing how was the interview process was like for NYMC? :)
Yeah of course. It was extremely laid back. We arrived and had an overview of the program from the department chair, then split into small groups for interviews. Its a 30 minute one-on-one interview with a faculty member. They rotate through three stations (interview, break, and PBL observation), so your interview time depends on where you are in that rotation. The other station, the PBL observation, just consists of sitting in a room with a group of second year students and watching them work through a patient case for a half an hour. Then you go to lunch with second year students, have a short tour of the campus, have a financial aid and housing presentation, and head on home. Hope that helps!

Just got a call from NYU for an interview! I thought they don't do interviews haha

Got an interview at NYU! I guess during the interview process we have to meet with a panel for a 30 minute interview and then write an essay before touring with current students. Does anyone know anything more about this process/know anyone who has done it? Specifically the essay and panel interview portion?

Anyone know anything about the interview process at SUNY Upstate?

Anyone know anything about the interview process at SUNY Upstate?
I interviewed at Upstate a few days ago. They do an MMI format, so essentially like speed dating. You get five questions and two minutes to prepare for each, and answer each question with a different person (faculty, student, etc.) You also write a seven minute “essay”. It’s somewhat nerve wracking, especially if it’s your first MMI interview, but everyone I interviewed with was very responsive and relatable and made the atmosphere very comfortable. Hope this helps!

Just got a call from NYU for an interview! I thought they don't do interviews haha
Got an interview at NYU! I guess during the interview process we have to meet with a panel for a 30 minute interview and then write an essay before touring with current students. Does anyone know anything more about this process/know anyone who has done it? Specifically the essay and panel interview portion?

Congrats guys! When did you guys submit? I submitted mine a week after the soft ddl so I'm kinda worried that might squeeze me off the list...

Congrats! Would you mind sharing your stats? I have an interview at Columbia in 2 weeks and am really hoping it goes well!

Hey! so sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I haven't checked the forum in a while.

cGPA: 3.75
pGPA: 3.7ish depending on the school
GRE: 155 V, 163Q, 4.5W
Hours: 200+ (Outpatient, Inpatient (hospital), Performing Arts outpatient, pediatrics)
LOR: 2 Profs, 2 PTs

Best of luck!! :)

When did you submit your app to NYU?

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard from Hunter or CSI for an interview yet?

Just received an interview at Hunter for November 25th. Is there anyone that has attended an interview at hunter that can share their experience and how the interview process is?

Reactions: 1 users
Just received an interview at Hunter for November 25th. Is there anyone that has attended an interview at hunter that can share their experience and how the interview process is?
Congratulation on your interview and good luck.
Do you mind sharing your stats?

Congratulation on your interview and good luck.
Do you mind sharing your stats?
Thank you so much! I actually posted my stats a couple times throughout this post. I think it is in the first 10 posts on this thread.

Thank you so much! I actually posted my stats a couple times throughout this post. I think it is in the first 10 posts on this thread.
I found it. Thank you. Let me know how it goes.

I’m interviewing at Stony Brook this week, and also just got invited to interview at LIU. Does anyone have any tips and info on the interviews? Thank you!

I’m interviewing at Stony Brook this week, and also just got invited to interview at LIU. Does anyone have any tips and info on the interviews? Thank you!
When is your LIU interview, if you don’t mind me asking?

That’s good to know. I have an interview with them on 12/6, but Kean just offered me an interview on that same day as well. My top choice is Kean > LIU, but it is good to hear that there are other dates available in case LIU is the one I need to postpone

Undergrad: Virginia Tech
Major: Human Nutrition, Foods and Exercise
GPA: 3.23
GRE: 163 V, 155 Q, 4.5 W
Hours: about 500 outpatient/75 inpatient
Extracurricular: Dance Company member/social director, nutrition program volunteer, athletic training aide, undergrad teaching assistant, exercise physiologist experience, etc.

Applied: Stony Brook, NYU, Touro, LIU, NYIT, Kean University
Interviews: Stony Brook and Kean
Rejected: NYIT, LIU, NYU
Accepted/attending: Stony Brook!!!

Super excited for upcoming interviews!! If anyone has any tips or info about SB/Kean’s interview process I would love to hear it!

Last edited:
Undergrad: Binghamton
Major: Psychology
GPA: 3.4
GRE: V151 Q149 4.0
Hours: 300 in and out patient- four settings

Applied: Stony Brook, NYU, Touro, LIU, NYIT, NYMC, Upstate Medical College, Hunter, Columbia
Interviews: LIU, Upstate Medical College
Rejected: NYIT
Accepted: Touro!!

if anyone has any interview advice for LIU or Upstate medical college let me know!! also if anyone know when Columbia and Stony Brook finish giving out interviews also let me know!

Does anyone know if Stony Brook interviews are group interviews? I think they only have one interview day this year so there will be many students at the interview.

Applied: Stony Brook, NYU, Touro, LIU, NYIT, NYMC, Upstate Medical College, Hunter, Columbia

if anyone has any interview advice for LIU or Upstate medical college let me know!! also if anyone know when Columbia and Stony Brook finish giving out interviews also let me know!
Congratulations! Touro NY or Nevada?

First year LIU student here. The interview process when I interviewed was a group based interview. 4 people with 2 faculty members. It was very laid back. They ask you a few questions like why LIU, why PT in general and they give you a specific question about your life and what you learned from it. Mine had to do with a time in my life where I was in a difficult situation and what I learned from it. We do have a new chairperson now so not too sure if they changed anything this year. They are going for more of a holistic approach now so they will be looking at the person in general not just your grades.

Hi everyone!
Had my interview last Saturday at NYU and found out Thursday evening I got accepted! Such a dream come true!
Anyone else get accepted to NYU yet? I also interviewed at Hunter and Columbia this week.

Last edited:
Hi everyone!
Had my interview last Saturday at NYU and found out Thursday evening I got accepted! Such a dream come true!
Anyone else get accepted to NYU yet? I also interviewed at Hunter and Columbia this week.

Undergrad: University of Arizona
Major: Japanese Studies
GPA: 3.9 Science Prereq GPA: 4.0
GRE: V162 Q153 4.5
Hours: 150 in patient and 150 out patient- five settings

Applied: NYU, Touro, LIU, Hunter, Columbia, CSI, SUNY
Interviews: NYU, Hunter, Columbia
Rejected: N/A
Accepted: NYU!!
Thats amazing, Congrats!! How was the interview at Hunter like? I heard there is an essay that you have to write. Are the questions different for everyone and does it relate to PT?

Thats amazing, Congrats!! How was the interview at Hunter like? I heard there is an essay that you have to write. Are the questions different for everyone and does it relate to PT?

Thank you! The interview at Hunter was honestly a little uncomfortable. Both NYU and Columbia made me feel very welcome and comfortable to be myself. They knew about my background and were interested in my "story". They were also very organized and well coordinated. At Hunter they didn't seem very interested in anything about me personally. There were also no current students to talk to like at other schools.
When you arrive you must navigate to the physical therapy department by walking down a long hallway and following signs down the stairs to the basement where the department is located.
Find the secretary Maureen's office (she is a wonderful person!) and check in with her. Then you will be given an essay to write for 30 min. The topics are different for each person. Mine was about "something I once knew 'for sure' but have since learned to question my judgement about" or something like that. A friend of mine had something on the topic of empathy.
After the essay I was led to a faculty member's office and interviewed with a professor and an alumni of the program. They read questions off of a list and did not seem interested in having a conversation. They didn't really smile during the interview either, which gave it a forced and uncomfortable feeling. Then it was a quick good-bye and I saw myself out of the office while they remained at the desk.
I've heard great things about the program and the graduates, but that is what my interview experience was like.
Hope that gives you an idea what to expect! Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you! The interview at Hunter was honestly a little uncomfortable. Both NYU and Columbia made me feel very welcome and comfortable to be myself. They knew about my background and were interested in my "story". They were also very organized and well coordinated. At Hunter they didn't seem very interested in anything about me personally. There were also no current students to talk to like at other schools.
When you arrive you must navigate to the physical therapy department by walking down a long hallway and following signs down the stairs to the basement where the department is located.
Find the secretary Maureen's office (she is a wonderful person!) and check in with her. Then you will be given an essay to write for 30 min. The topics are different for each person. Mine was about "something I once knew 'for sure' but have since learned to question my judgement about" or something like that. A friend of mine had something on the topic of empathy.
After the essay I was led to a faculty member's office and interviewed with a professor and an alumni of the program. They read questions off of a list and did not seem interested in having a conversation. They didn't really smile during the interview either, which gave it a forced and uncomfortable feeling. Then it was a quick good-bye and I saw myself out of the office while they remained at the desk.
I've heard great things about the program and the graduates, but that is what my interview experience was like.
Thank you so much for sharing. I was not expecting the interview process at Hunter to be like that! Do you remember the kind of questions that they asked during the interview? any tricky to look out for?

Thank you so much for sharing. I was not expecting the interview process at Hunter to be like that! Do you remember the kind of questions that they asked during the interview? any tricky to look out for?
I had the same experience for my Hunter interview except it was just myself and the chairperson of the department. Didn't ask typical PT interview questions and barely let me get my thoughts out without interrupting me and moving unto the next question from the paper. Granted this is the first time the chairperson is conducting interviews as she has only been in the position for 10 months but overall I agree that it was a bit uncomfortable.

I had the same experience except I was just interviewed by one person. The questions weren't even typical PT interview questions and it seemed a bit rushed on the interviewer's part as if she just wanted to get through the questions. Barely made eye contact with me just read from the paper and was writing notes down. She only smiled like 3 times at me but that was it. Interview was a total of 30 minutes.

I had the same experience except I was just interviewed by one person. The questions weren't even typical PT interview questions and it seemed a bit rushed on the interviewer's part as if she just wanted to get through the questions. Barely made eye contact with me just read from the paper and was writing notes down. She only smiled like 3 times at me but that was it. Interview was a total of 30 minutes.
Could you give examples of the questions they asked since they weren't typical PT type questions?

Could you give examples of the questions they asked since they weren't typical PT type questions?

There were a couple typical "how do you think pt fits into the healthcare system" type questions. Then stranger questions like "describe an experience when a door was opened for you and what you learned from it". Totally caught me off guard. Then "describe when something didn't go the way you planned, and how you would handle it different now" or something like that. To me these questions are confusing and imply scenarios that are not necessarily true. Just because something didn't go the way I planned doesn't mean I didn't handle it well. So they took me by surprise.

Agreed. I'm not sure what those weird questions were supposed to tell them about us... except maybe how we handle sudden strange questions. But, it's like the old cliché says.. we are interviewing them as well. And I think that their interview process was somewhat revealing about how the school and program probably feel as a student.

Hi, I am interviewing with Hunter on Dec 6th, How did your interview go? and what types of questions did they ask? I am honestly so nervous and I don't feel ready at all! So If you have any advice or any feedback that will be great!

if anyone has any interview advice for LIU or Upstate medical college let me know!! also if anyone knows when Columbia and Stony Brook finish giving out interviews also let me know!
Hi! im a first year at LIU, just be yourself, prepare questions for us ( the students), and the faculty because you get to speak with both of us !, and for anyone else seeing this who is a little iffy on the tuition side of things, I completely understand but I can't see myself being anywhere else, everyone is so friendly and welcoming, they help with whatever you need, and having friends in other programs across NYC, I see a big difference not only in our curriculums but the information and resources provided to my classmates and I. I would also not advise anyone ever to not at least go and see the schools that offered you an interview until you get into a program and you're set to go there! don't limit yourself and your options

Hi, I am interviewing with Hunter on Dec 6th, How did your interview go? and what types of questions did they ask? I am honestly so nervous and I don't feel ready at all! So If you have any advice or any feedback that will be great!
I interviewed there last year, it was a bit chaotic in my opinion. My interview was at a certain time and I waited 45 minutes after that time to be called. once I was in there the two professors were nice but they rated me right in front of my face. I wound up being waitlisted. besides the cheaper tuition than almost all the other schools I applied to, I wasn't impressed.