New York DPT 2019-2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Updated!!!

University
: Rutgers University
Degree(s): B.S. Exercise Science (Applied Kinesiology) 18'
PTCAS Cum. GPA: 3.26
Pre-Req GPA: 3.16-4.0 (4.0 post-baccalaureate retook pre-reqs)
GRE: V: 151, Q: 153, AW: 4.0
LOR: 2 PTs, 2 Professors
Volunteer: 1600hrs+ Outpatient (PT Clinic), 50hrs Inpatient (Rehabilitation Facility), 256hrs Outpatient (PT Clinic), 126hrs Outpatient Rutgers Ex Sci Internship, 48hrs TA for Rutgers Ex Sci College Course, 476hrs ATR/PT (Rutgers Football Student Athletic Trainer), 106hrs Outpatient (Volunteer)
Applied: Touro, CSI, Mercy, Messiah, U of Hartford, UMB, UMES, U of Utah, Rocky Mountain, Kean, Seton Hall
Rejections: U of Utah, UMB
Waitlist: TBD
Interviews: Messiah, Kean, CSI
Acceptances: Messiah, CSI
Attending: College of Staten Island!!! :soexcited:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Just got the call about Stony Brook!!! I chose Main Campus but am not completely sure if I will be attending yet because I also got accepted to the DPT program at the school I currently attend

Just got the call about Stony Brook!!! I chose Main Campus but am not completely sure if I will be attending yet because I also got accepted to the DPT program at the school I currently attend

Hey! Congratulations for your achievement! Did they mention how many more people they have to call? Or if you prefer did they give any hint as how many people have been accepted so far? Sorry to bother you but waiting for them to call is killing me

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got accepted into Hunter. Actually very surprised I did since I didn't think the interview went well. I'm so conflicted right now because I liked other programs better but Hunters tuition is like $80k less..

Hi there! When did your interview take place if you don't mind asking. Mine was the 14th of November and still haven't heard from them

Last edited:
Hi there! When did your interview take place if you don't mind asking. Mine was the 14th if November and still haven't heard from them
Hey I had my interview November 25th. At the interview they said they will be giving decisions all December.

Hey I had my interview November 25th. At the interview they said they will be giving decisions all December.

First of all congratulations for being accepted! They told me to wait until December too.. but since they haven't called that makes me worry..what about Stony Brook? When did they call you? I'm waiting to hear from them as well

Thank you so much! I got a call from Stony Brook yesterday and I interviewed at the end of November also. She said on the call that they'll be calling all December as well and I think January too because she said acceptance emails will be sent in mid January.

Just interviewed at LIU and haven’t heard back from NYU

Anyone else get a call from
D’Youville today? I missed the call and no one answered by the time I got to call back

Anyone else get a call from
D’Youville today? I missed the call and no one answered by the time I got to call back

I didn’t get a call but I’m glad to see they’re making decisions. I don’t think schools call students to tell them they were denied so I think you got accepted lol. :)

I applied mid November and haven’t heard back yet.

Do you mind sharing your stats?
Also, it was optional, but did you add your resume and a cover letter to their application?

Thank you! I guess I’ll have to wait to find out next week though. I hope you get a call too! :) I also did upload a resume but not a cover letter

Stats:
Major- Exercise Science
cGPA- 3.4
pGPA- 3.5
GRE- 153 V, 150 Q, 4.0 AW
Hours- 2,000+ inpatient rehab aide, 40 outpatient sports, 100 pediatric
Extra: Certified personal trainer, volunteer with adults with disabilities & rehab aide at inpatient facility
I didn’t get a call but I’m glad to see they’re making decisions. I don’t think schools call students to tell them they were denied so I think you got accepted lol. :)

I applied mid November and haven’t heard back yet.

Do you mind sharing your stats?
Also, it was optional, but did you add your resume and a cover letter to their application?

Received acceptance packets in the mail today from D’Youville and the Sage Colleges!

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone else been placed on "Hold for Comparison" for SUNY Upstate? Is it basically a waitlist?

Has anyone else been placed on "Hold for Comparison" for SUNY Upstate? Is it basically a waitlist?
I was “held for comparison” as well and interviewed back in October. Holding out hope that it wasn’t just a waitlist, as they did tell us we would get a final decision later on (which could very well just be a waitlist anyway). Unsure though how long of a timeline they have for it, as I know they are interviewing at least into mid-February.

I think today was the last day of interviews at NYU (I could be wrong though), but for those searching in the future here is a detailed layout of how my interview went. I know I had a ton of anxiety going into it because of the unknown, so I hope this eases your mind:

The interview process was really laid back. You get there, sign in, they give you a name tag and then take you to a room full of current DPT students. Have some questions ready to ask them. The students are extremely helpful and actually helped me nail some of my interview questions based on their responses to questions I asked. You will sit with students for 15-30 minutes and then someone will come get you for your interview.

During the interview, it's very open-ended questions and they just want to get to know you. You will be the only one in the room being interviewed and then there will be three people doing the interviewing. Know your strengths and weaknesses. Know the curriculum. Why you want to go to NYU. Simple questions like that. I did a lot of online research about DPT interview questions and that helped me prepare a lot!! Then they opened it up for me to ask questions. I asked things about housing, extracurriculars/leadership roles, relationships between students & faculty, and clinical cites. DEFINITELY have questions prepared to ask.

Finally, you will be taken to a room to complete an essay. I believe they told me I had 45 minutes to do the essay. I completed it in 20 mins. A lot of the students said not to stress too much about the essay because it's just to see that you can organize your thoughts and put them down on paper. Research different physical therapy/health methods, hot topics, and issues. I don't know that every essay is the same, but I'd guess that each has something to do with those three subjects.

After you're done with your essay, you go back to the room you started in and someone will give you a tour of the facility. This gives you a chance to ask more questions you might have come up with...and then it's over!!

Good luck to future applicants & I hope this helps!! :)

I think today was the last day of interviews at NYU (I could be wrong though), but for those searching in the future here is a detailed layout of how my interview went. I know I had a ton of anxiety going into it because of the unknown, so I hope this eases your mind:

The interview process was really laid back. You get there, sign in, they give you a name tag and then take you to a room full of current DPT students. Have some questions ready to ask them. The students are extremely helpful and actually helped me nail some of my interview questions based on their responses to questions I asked. You will sit with students for 15-30 minutes and then someone will come get you for your interview.

During the interview, it's very open-ended questions and they just want to get to know you. You will be the only one in the room being interviewed and then there will be three people doing the interviewing. Know your strengths and weaknesses. Know the curriculum. Why you want to go to NYU. Simple questions like that. I did a lot of online research about DPT interview questions and that helped me prepare a lot!! Then they opened it up for me to ask questions. I asked things about housing, extracurriculars/leadership roles, relationships between students & faculty, and clinical cites. DEFINITELY have questions prepared to ask.

Finally, you will be taken to a room to complete an essay. I believe they told me I had 45 minutes to do the essay. I completed it in 20 mins. A lot of the students said not to stress too much about the essay because it's just to see that you can organize your thoughts and put them down on paper. Research different physical therapy/health methods, hot topics, and issues. I don't know that every essay is the same, but I'd guess that each has something to do with those three subjects.

After you're done with your essay, you go back to the room you started in and someone will give you a tour of the facility. This gives you a chance to ask more questions you might have come up with...and then it's over!!

Good luck to future applicants & I hope this helps!! :)

Thank you for this.

Did they ask you any questions that caught you by surprise?

Thank you for this.

Did they ask you any questions that caught you by surprise?

Honestly, no. I was very well prepared. They were typical interview questions also. Why NYU. Why PT. Strengths & weaknesses. Conflict resolution. They did ask something about how my philanthropic work has inspired me, but that really applied to my application because I was involved in a lot of charity work in undergraduate.

Good luck & keep me updated on how it goes for you! :)

Yeah, I got in. I’ve put my deposit down and I’m pretty positive I’ll be going there
Congrats !! I'm a first year student of you need anything feel free to message :)

I got into hunter last week from waitlist. I was #1 on it, but I already have my deposit for CSI. Anyone want to advice if I should switch to hunter . I always hear that hunter has a better program. Any advice?
I know that both are good prpgrams.

Reactions: 1 user
I got into hunter last week from waitlist. I was #1 on it, but I already have my deposit for CSI. Anyone want to advice if I should switch to hunter . I always hear that hunter has a better program. Any advice?

They both are great programs and are the same price. I guess it depends on whether or not you want to travel into Manhattan everyday.

Reactions: 1 users

CSI just got a new anatomy lab, so that's a plus. Students from CSI had to commute to Hunter before. I interviewed at Hunter and CSI, and at the end of the day I chose Hunter. Ask yourself which college you would prefer in terms of lifestyle, what do you prefer in terms of campus conveniences, how do their programs differ, how did you feel interviewing at one vs the other. Make a list, but either one is a good choice. If you'd like a little more insight from me, you could shoot me a DM

Honestly, no. I was very well prepared. They were typical interview questions also. Why NYU. Why PT. Strengths & weaknesses. Conflict resolution. They did ask something about how my philanthropic work has inspired me, but that really applied to my application because I was involved in a lot of charity work in undergraduate.

Good luck & keep me updated on how it goes for you! :)

Thanks I will. Good luck to you too. Let me know if you get in. :)

Just got waitlisted to NYU. Does anyone have any info/insight to how this process may go? They said there are no waitlist position numbers and their resources were super unhelpful :/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just got waitlisted to NYU. Does anyone have any info/insight to how this process may go? They said there are no waitlist position numbers and their resources were super unhelpful :/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Me too... They did say they'll have more information in about 3 weeks when the deposit is due for people who were accepted. So I'm sure they'll tell us more then. Just gotta stay positive :)

New York Medical College DPT vs. Hunter DPT? Does anyone have any thoughts?

First year LIU student here. The interview process when I interviewed was a group based interview. 4 people with 2 faculty members. It was very laid back. They ask you a few questions like why LIU, why PT in general and they give you a specific question about your life and what you learned from it. Mine had to do with a time in my life where I was in a difficult situation and what I learned from it. We do have a new chairperson now so not too sure if they changed anything this year. They are going for more of a holistic approach now so they will be looking at the person in general not just your grades.
How are you liking your first year at LIU? :D

Got accepted today into LIU! My interview was on the 21st of February

I was there too on 21st. I got accepted! But Im having trouble activating my LIU account

I reached out to them because I had the same problem! They told me to try tomorrow because my application was officially accepted today so it takes some time for the system to process it! And congratulations!! Which group were you in? I was in group C

Has anyone applied to Daemen college for PT? I received an email a month ago saying my application is under review

I reached out to them because I had the same problem! They told me to try tomorrow because my application was officially accepted today so it takes some time for the system to process it! And congratulations!! Which group were you in? I was in group C

I did it today, it worked this time. I was in Group A

Yes I am! I’ll be taking gross anatomy over the summer first, before the actual program starts in the Fall!

We are in the same boat! We have to go through gross anatomy in the Summer. I’m assume you are non-UB students, too?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user