NHSC Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HarvardDentist

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN. I am a currently applying to dental schools and I heard about NHSC. I read about it online but I wanted to know some of the pros and cons from current recipients of the NHSC or people who already graduated and are working in NHSC approved sites after graduation. Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello SDN. I am a currently applying to dental schools and I heard about NHSC. I read about it online but I wanted to know some of the pros and cons from current recipients of the NHSC or people who already graduated and are working in NHSC approved sites after graduation. Thank you!!
If you can get it, it is a no brainer. I have loved my experience so far. I got the 4 year scholarship.
Pros: No debt. Make decent money. In a better work environment than most new grads.
Cons: Limited employment options
Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Reactions: 1 user
If you can get it, it is a no brainer. I have loved my experience so far. I got the 4 year scholarship.
Pros: No debt. Make decent money. In a better work environment than most new grads.
Cons: Limited employment options
Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad :)
if you plan on specializing that isn't pediatric (double check this), then you would have to do the specialty program AFTER your 2-4 year scholarship requirement.

if you plan on specializing that isn't pediatric (double check this), then you would have to do the specialty program AFTER your 2-4 year scholarship requirement.
Sort of, but yes. You can do any residency that is considered “primary care” which includes GPR, AEGD, pediatrics, or public health (the last two are the only actual specialities).

Sort of, but yes. You can do any residency that is considered “primary care” which includes GPR, AEGD, pediatrics, or public health (the last two are the only actual specialities).

I didn't know that! Thank you guys!