NHSC Scholarship 2018-2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The site is down for maintenance. I think I read somewhere they update finalists the Wednesday after certain updates (although this may be early since this cycle seemed on the late side)

Members don't see this ad.

The site is down for maintenance. I think I read somewhere they update finalists the Wednesday after certain updates (although this may be early since this cycle seemed on the late side)

Oooh does this mean we can hear back as early as next week?

Oooh does this mean we can hear back as early as next week?
I just looked at last years forum and they started telling people they were finalists early in August! Ugh, I know it's a long shot but I'm so anxious.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I checked mine on July 26 and I did not :-(

Second year applying and I feel as though I'm rather competitive but I guess not! Oh well.

Probably your creditkarma hasn't updated yet?

Last edited:
I checked mine on July 26 and I did not :-(

Secondyear applying and I feel as though I'm rather competitive but I guess not! Oh well.

I feel the same way. Thousands of hours of rural/underserved work, letter from previous NHSC scholar, high GPA, original research etc etc.

I'd love to know more about how they score all the awards. My gut feeling is that they get so many applications that they use GPA as a screen out and if you don't have > 3.95 or something you don't even have a chance.

Last edited:
Portal is up. I logged in and noticed that there's a "Roles" tab on my account now. Anyone else seeing the same thing?

I think it’s been there since the beginning. I noticed it few weeks back.
Weird I don't have this on mine! I looked back to see about other years, and I guess no one really knows if there's meaning or not. Good luck to you both :)

I just logged in and saw a roles tab for the first time, no credit check though! Maybe that's just an automatic system update?

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a credit check and don’t see a roles tab. Where exactly is it on the page?

I got a credit check and I don’t see the roles tab anywhere.

I doubt the “roles” tab means anything. It’s been up on my portal for a while.

This might be the wrong analysis but three of you commenting that got a credit check don't have the Roles tab visible while one of you does.

This might mean that the three of you who don't have a Roles tab visible or used to have it visible could be in the process of having it updated between maintenance days.

Just a thought because usually I've seen it updating from Applicant to Participant if you're accepted.

That or I'm looking too much into it

Credit karma updated today but still no credit check from July 24 even though NHSC told me they were going to run one on me. Sometimes they take awhile to show up...

I also did not receive a credit check on the 24th even though I was told they would try to run my credit again. I checked both credit karma and my equifax credit report.

Credit karma updated today but still no credit check from July 24 even though NHSC told me they were going to run one on me. Sometimes they take awhile to show up...

I also did not receive a credit check on the 24th even though I was told they would try to run my credit again. I checked both credit karma and my equifax credit report.

Can either of you see the Roles tab and if so, what does it read for the NHSC SP? (SP=scholarship program)

This might be the wrong analysis but three of you commenting that got a credit check don't have the Roles tab visible while one of you does.

This might mean that the three of you who don't have a Roles tab visible or used to have it visible could be in the process of having it updated between maintenance days.

Just a thought because usually I've seen it updating from Applicant to Participant if you're accepted.

That or I'm looking too much into it

I hope so! Crossing my fingers we hear back this week

I received a credit check but I don't see a roles tab anywhere when on desktop.

Those who are seeing it, is it on desktop or mobile?

Question:

When can I begin to apply for this scholarship considering I am planning on matriculating into Dental School next school year of 2019-2020 as D1. Does the scholarship open up around June? July? any information is appreciated. Thanks !

I received a credit check but I don't see a roles tab anywhere when on desktop.

Those who are seeing it, is it on desktop or mobile?
I also received a credit check but no roles tab! Wondering what that means

I just checked on my phone, and I still don't see a 'roles' tab. :wtf:

I also received a credit check but no roles tab! Wondering what that means
I just checked on my phone, and I still don't see a 'roles' tab. :wtf:

After researching this, I came to a conclusion that having a roles tab doesn’t mean much. I initially said that I didn’t have it, but after attempting to log in as a participant (of course I failed), the roles tab finally appeared in my application. I don’t think we have to be overthinking about this anymore.

After researching this, I came to a conclusion that having a roles tab doesn’t mean much. I initially said that I didn’t have it, but after attempting to log in as a participant (of course I failed), the roles tab finally appeared in my application. I don’t think we have to be overthinking about this anymore.

I agree with this. I did not get a credit check and just by visiting various NHSC sites I was able to get my roles tab to appear.

Well GOOD because I would assume that having the tab is an advantage somehow and I didnt have it :laugh:

I agree with this. I did not get a credit check and just by visiting various NHSC sites I was able to get my roles tab to appear.

Can verify this! I tried to log in as a participant and now have a roles tab that wasn't there before.

No credit check for me but I’ve gotten one the past 2 years I’ve applied; my resume has only gotten stronger so I’d assume if I got one previously I’ll be getting through this part again. Reason I say this is to assure those of you who have not yet seen a credit check on equifax (not TransUnion)— keep checking! Clearly they haven’t done them all yet

I was really hoping for some news this week and now I’m thinking probably not :(:(

If nothing else, this is teaching me that I could really improve in the patience category...

Anoyone who have gotten the scholarship, what’s are the phases to getting he scholarship?

Credit check—>final email?—->phone call?

Anoyone who have gotten the scholarship, what’s are the phases to getting he scholarship?

I’m an applicant, but I’ve done pretty extensive creepin on previous years’ threads. I’m almost positive the phases are credit check, email that there’s an update on your portal which will notify you you’re a finalist and direct you to submit forms like w2 etc for final consideration, a counter signature by someone on the NHSC side, and that’s it! The finalist notification supposedly means you have basically gotten the scholarship but in previous years i guess there have been a few people who didn’t get a counter signature

My year it was credit check —> phone call (asking me how serious I was about my application and if I would accept the scholarship if offered) —> finalist email (w/ request for W4 and banking info) —> notification of award. My year may have been unique with the phone call because I haven’t heard of almost anyone else from any other year getting one.

Last edited:
My year it was credit check —> phone call (asking me how serious I was about my application and if I would accept the scholarship if offered) —> finalist email (w/ request for W2 and banking info) —> notification of award. My year may have been unique with the phone call because I haven’t heard of almost anyone else from any other year getting one.

For the phone call - do you remember the area code by any chance? Haha, I rarely pick up unfamiliar numbers :p

Also, (dumb question but) for those who have received the scholarship, did any of you know the NHSC staff/recruiters? I've never once called, emailed or participated in a webinar. I'm wondering if it's hurting my chances because I didn't introduce myself. Not that I think it really matters, but you know, when interviewing for any graduate professional programs.. knowing people helps -_-

Last edited:
For the phone call - do you remember the area code by any chance? Haha, I rarely pick up unfamiliar numbers :p

Also, (dumb question but) for those who have received the scholarship, did any of you know the NHSC staff/recruiters? I've never once called, emailed or participated in a webinar. I'm wondering if it's hurting my chances because I didn't introduce myself. Not that I think it really matters, but you know, when interviewing for any graduate professional programs.. knowing people helps lol.
I want to say MD is where the call came from, but I can’t remember. It was like 5 years ago. I don’t pick up for unfamiliar numbers either, and I can’t remember why I did that time, but I’m glad I did.
And I doubt knowing people helps for it, but like you said, knowing people usually helps so possibly?

For those that received credit checks: when do y'all think we'll hear back?

Last edited:
For those that received credit checks: when do y'all think we'll hear back?

I think this year, it's an odd cycle because a classmate has heard back with the final email last cycle late july. But then again they received their credit checks a lot earlier than we did this year. Only time will tell.

Ugh the suspense is killing me and it looks like they never re-ran the credit check on July 24 :/

They also never re-ran my credit check on the 24th

Y'all need to chill. Notification deadline is end of September and I expect them to miss it this year.

Reactions: 4 users
I think those who received credit checks should for sure hear back by the end of September. Whether or not they get back to everyone by then is up in the air.