NHSC Scholarship 2018-2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Y'all need to chill. Notification deadline is end of September and I expect them to miss it this year.

I'm not so stressed about being notified about the final result as I am about the credit check thing. They told me that the 24th was the last day they were running checks and that if mine didn't go through then my application would be terminated. Seems like they didn't run it at all soooo I'm a bit anxious--not that there's anything I can do I guess.

Members don't see this ad.

This week, I got an email from NHSC about the site application deadline. I nearly passed out haha. I thought it was an update on my application. I guess they like scaring us that way haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
I received a credit check from credco on 08/03!

Reactions: 1 users
Check your portals!!! It says I'm a finalist for the award. :D

Edit: And yes, I had been neurotically checking every morning for the past few weeks.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Finalist for award!

Edit: Incoming D1

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I am also a finalist!!!!! I feel like I can’t breathe lol I’m at work and have absolutely lost my chill. I am so so happy. I know it says it doesn’t mean we’re getting the award, but I’m ecstatic to have even made it this far. Congrats guys!!!

Reactions: 4 users
Finalist!!!! This is unreal! Did not expect this.

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats to those who are finalists! If anyone needs help with next steps from here until your notification of award and beyond (what to do once in school, how to prep for graduation, finding a job, site transfers, etc), we made a Facebook group a couple of years ago to help:

National Health Service Corps Dental Scholars

Just be sure to answer the questions or I will legit leave you pending forever.

Reactions: 6 users
does It say if you’re a finalist in the application status on the portal?

I know I’m probably overthinking this, but for the enrollment verification form my school official put n/a where it asks for speciality under discipline, because I’m a PA student and I don’t pick a specialty but I plan to work in primary care. Do you think this will be confusing when they look over my documents? This is the finalist paperwork (props to her for returning it so quickly) I called the nhsc number but I don’t think the person on the phone understood, any insight would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad :)
Now I know I didn't receive this scholarship. Maybe next year.

M1 and a finalist as well!!!! BEYOND excited. Thank you, God.

Reactions: 1 users
I know I’m probably overthinking this, but for the enrollment verification form my school official put n/a where it asks for speciality under discipline, because I’m a PA student and I don’t pick a specialty but I plan to work in primary care. Do you think this will be confusing when they look over my documents? This is the finalist paperwork (props to her for returning it so quickly) I called the nhsc number but I don’t think the person on the phone understood, any insight would be appreciated!

I wouldn't worry about it. I also wouldn't expect anyone at the NHSC to know. Their "hotline" is very very unhelpful.

Congrats to those who are finalists! If anyone needs help with next steps from here until your notification of award and beyond (what to do once in school, how to prep for graduation, finding a job, site transfers, etc), we made a Facebook group a couple of years ago to help:

National Health Service Corps Dental Scholars

Just be sure to answer the questions or I will legit leave you pending forever.
Hey are you a recipient of the scholarship? If yes, Do you know if saying that you will accept the scholarship binds you (at this point)? Or will they ask you again when one gets the award?

Also a finalist wow!! Does anyone know how likely it is to be ultimately awarded the scholarship at this point?

Hey are you a recipient of the scholarship? If yes, Do you know if saying that you will accept the scholarship binds you (at this point)? Or will they ask you again when one gets the award?
Yes I am. I received it my D1 year about 5 years ago. I believe all of the finalist paperwork is part of the contract so I wouldn’t sign anything unless you are fully committing.

Reactions: 1 user

I think they want to check you are committed at this point, but I don't see anything technically binding in the form...

So if I don't see the finalist status on my portal is that pretty much it?? Or are there more updates?

Mine still says under review. Does that mean its over?

Do I just have to return the first page of the W4? All I did was put my info, enter number of allowances, put 0 for additional withholdings, and sign and date. The other pages seem to be instructional and for our own use?

For my year, part of the paperwork that you filled out was electronically signing the contract. If that’s still the case, that is most definitely binding.
But on the Application and Program Guidance it says that after one gets awarded, then they can decline. Im not planning to decline LOL, iI was just curious

But on the Application and Program Guidance it says that after one gets awarded, then they can decline. Im not planning to decline LOL, iI was just curious
I’m sure that’s true, but I wouldn’t go signing too many things if you aren’t committed. If there’s one thing I’ve learned about them is that they will eat you alive if you break the contract or default on your commitment.

I’m sure that’s true, but I wouldn’t go signing too many things if you aren’t committed. If there’s one thing I’ve learned about them is that they will eat you alive if you break the contract or default on your commitment.
Oh damn, thats scary

By the way, I'm assuming you starting working to fulfill your commitment. How is it so far? Any pros and cons ?

Do I just have to return the first page of the W4? All I did was put my info, enter number of allowances, put 0 for additional withholdings, and sign and date. The other pages seem to be instructional and for our own use?
I'm just returning the first page because some where on there is says to return the w4 to your employer and keep the worksheets for your records.

My question is do we need to include our name, social, and application # on every document that we submit like we had to for the application documents?

Not necessarily. Each year, there are usually multiple rounds of finalist notifications.

Do you by any chance know roughly when the next wave of notification is?

Do you by any chance know roughly when the next wave of notification is?
I'm gonna assume after the 15th. Which is the deadline for finalists to submit their intent to accept the scholarship and the paperwork needed.

By the way, I'm assuming you starting working to fulfill your commitment. How is it so far? Any pros and cons ?
That is correct. I have been working just over a year at this point. So far I’m loving it. Salary is the way to go, especially just out of school so I’m not pressured to over-treat or sell treatment to patients in order to get my production up. I focus on what needs to be done, do the best I can, and know that my paycheck will still come no matter what.
The work is challenging and exciting. Very very complex patients walk into my clinic and it’s been great to become familiar with this type of patient base.
The only con is that I don’t have as much pull as I would like to with the administrative side of things. It’s not bad, but it would be nice if I had the authority to make changes that I see are necessary.

Reactions: 3 users
That is correct. The rest is just to help you figure out what to put if you didn’t know already.

Hey how did you know what to put gor allowances? on the 3rd page it just says "put 1 if" for everything

Hey how did you know what to put gor allowances? on the 3rd page it just says "put 1 if" for everything

I’m having trouble with that too. Usually on W-4 forms I just put 0 for allowances, which I believe is the safest—they take the most money out and you get the most back at the end aka won’t owe money that you don’t have. I have 0 for now, but am not totally confident and was going to call a friend to confirm. Did anyone else put 0?

I’m having trouble with that too. Usually on W-4 forms I just put 0 for allowances, which I believe is the safest—they take the most money out and you get the most back at the end aka won’t owe money that you don’t have. I have 0 for now, but am not totally confident and was going to call a friend to confirm. Did anyone else put 0?

Does it give us the option of 0? All I see is 1

Did you check Credit Karma? I checked today and noticed I had received a credit check on 08/03.
I can't update mine until tomorrow. Going by your post history, it appears you've had prior contact with the NHSC after they attempted to run your credit weeks ago. Me, and from what I can tell, those that I tagged have had no contact with the NHSC and I'm ust curious about GPA, school (med/dental/PA/etc.), URM status etc.

@ExpatC I will be able to check my Experian tomorrow, but I don't think I got one. No finalist e-mail or on portal either. Second year applying to NHSC too. Some things just aren't meant to be :). Even still I will probably end up doing loan repayment in an underserved community, so there's still a lot of ways to serve the underserved!

I also put zero and confirmed with my husband who does a lot of hiring (he helps with w4s a lot). You are able to lower taxes removed for many justifiable reasons as explained in the worksheet but unless you want to risk owing - put zero and the most taxes will be taken out and some will be returned at tax time...maybe lol

That is correct. The rest is just to help you figure out what to put if you didn’t know already.

I also put zero and confirmed with my husband who does a lot of hiring (he helps with w4s a lot). You are able to lower taxes removed for many justifiable reasons as explained in the worksheet but unless you want to risk owing - put zero and the most taxes will be taken out and some will be returned at tax time...maybe lol

To clarify, if we are single and do not have a job right now, we put "1" in line 5 and put "0" in line 6? Line 5 is the total number of allowances and line 6 is additional amount that is to be withheld from each paycheck. Also, we just fill in our name, social security number, home address, indicate if you are single of married, skip number 4 if last name differed from SSN card, do not claim exception from withholding (so skip line 7), sign and date, and skip lines 8-10?

To clarify, if we are single and do not have a job right now, we put "1" in line 5 and put "0" in line 6? Line 5 is the total number of allowances and line 6 is additional amount that is to be withheld from each paycheck. Also, we just fill in our name, social security number, home address, indicate if you are single of married, skip number 4 if last name differed from SSN card, do not claim exception from withholding (so skip line 7), sign and date, and skip lines 8-10?
Put 0 for line 5 and line 6. You are likely fine to put '1' in line 5 if you want to be taxed lower. It's a personal preference, I prefer to get the max taken out and get back the difference in my tax return.

But yes to everything else you described.

Put 0 for line 5 and line 6. You are likely fine to put '1' in line 5 if you want to be taxed lower. It's a personal preference, I prefer to get the max taken out and get back the difference in my tax return.

But yes to everything else you described.

Thank you so much for your help! I appreciate it.

Did you check Credit Karma? I checked today and noticed I had received a credit check on 08/03.

Also no credit check. 3.92 gpa, disadvantaged background, original research, letter from prior scholar, 4000+ hours of rural EMS work. Pretty disheartened to not get a credit check but just gotta keep going I guess.

I think they want to check you are committed at this point, but I don't see anything technically binding in the form...

I totally lied! There's a second page in the online portal which has you sign the contract so yes it is binding.

For anyone who got to the contract signing page, our way of signing the contract is simply at the end where we click and fill out the SSN, answer a question and put in our password again? I was concerned that I didn't actually "sign" the contract because it just showed up as a grey box for me! I called customer support as well but just wanted to confirm.

Thanks!

For anyone who got to the contract signing page, our way of signing the contract is simply at the end where we click and fill out the SSN, answer a question and put in our password again? I was concerned that I didn't actually "sign" the contract because it just showed up as a grey box for me! I called customer support as well but just wanted to confirm.

Thanks!

Yes, I believe so. I think we just type in our SSN, answer our security question, and type our password in again.