Nicest and Ugliest Campuses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Duke won't even come close in the war for best ACC Bball team. Can you say National Champions...? :)
Sadly, I, too, have to give props where they are due :(

Uh, you just wait until next year! That's kind of what I'm doing...

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know what I would do if I happened to get accepted to Duke, Wake, and UNC. My allegience would be majorly torn. It's already horrible seeing as my Mom works at Wake Forest University, I'm planning on transfering into NC State, and I'm a Carolina Fan?!?!

I don't know what I would do if I happened to get accepted to Duke, Wake, and UNC. My allegience would be majorly torn. It's already horrible seeing as my Mom works at Wake Forest University, I'm planning on transfering into NC State, and I'm a Carolina Fan?!?!

Then go to ECU/Brody?:p

Members don't see this ad :)
Retsage, come on man!

Duke_chapel.jpg

Duke Chapel
duke_gardens36_550_dropwm.jpg

Duke Gardens
Duke-Hospital-front.jpg

And, of course, Duke Hospital

Oh, wow. That is pretty. They really should have toured us around campus.

Don't let your allegiance get in the way, though I know it's hard. My fiance went to Duke undergrad (and is thus a huge Duke fan) but chose UNC for med school. And Duke Med has some UNC and Wake undergrads. It makes for some good trash-talking, but it's all in fun :)

I would have to say that USC is pretty... ugh... We'll see in a few years after all of the construction is over.

Um, does 13k per year in-state tuition mean anything to you? That said, if you qualify for need-based aid Duke apparently has plenty of that in grant form. If not, easiest decision in the world.

As a NC resident and born and bred Tar Heel Fan, I have to give props where they are due and Duke wins the beautiful campus war against Chapel Hill. If I recall they shot scenes from the first Harry Potter movie at Duke Chapel. HOWEVER UNC is the basketball team from God and Duke won't even come close in the war for best ACC Bball team. Can you say National Champions...? :)
true. if you want to see what unc's campus looks like, rent patch adams. they go gothic, we go colonial.

<p>
Um, does 13k per year in-state tuition mean anything to you? That said, if you qualify for need-based aid Duke apparently has plenty of that in grant form. If not, easiest decision in the world.
With all due respect, If I find Duke is a better fit for me AND of more benefit to my development as a physician than UNC; then I'm going to Duke despite the cheaper tuition at Carolina.

Besides this is all extremely presumptive, I still have tons of hoops to jump through before this stuff even matters :)

I love the University of Virginia, amazing campus

From everyone's list, does anyone get the feeling that the private schools are the really nice looking ones and the public schools are not as great? I'm from cali and USC/Stanford are beautiful but the UC's are just decent, i'm not sure if the trend is the same for other states.

<p>
With all due respect, If I find Duke is a better fit for me AND of more benefit to my development as a physician than UNC; then I'm going to Duke despite the cheaper tuition at Carolina.

Besides this is all extremely presumptive, I still have tons of hoops to jump through before this stuff even matters :)

Well if I thought my fit with and development as a physician at Duke was worth $110,000 more than at Carolina, I'd pick it too (If I were fortunate enough to have such a choice). Just throwing my thoughts out there as a biased Tar Heel fan, it's your decision obviously.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well if I thought my fit with and development as a physician at Duke was worth $110,000 more than at Carolina, I'd pick it too (If I were fortunate enough to have such a choice). Just throwing my thoughts out there as a biased Tar Heel fan, it's your decision obviously.
Yeah, this is totally an individual decision. Two large reasons why my fiance chose UNC over Duke were cost and fit (he felt he jived better with UNC). Meanwhile, I have a classmate who turned down a full scholarship at UNC for Duke. Hopefully, both students did what was right for them.

I actually can't stand Duke on so many levels but if I had the chance to attend I would go on in a heartbeat. I'm sorry if my post sounded sort of abrasive. paying for any school is certainly not a luxury of mine, but if a costlier school is going to be a better all around deal for me I'll find some way to pay for it. It would be awesome if UNC was all those things for me come time to apply!

As a NC resident and born and bred Tar Heel Fan, I have to give props where they are due and Duke wins the beautiful campus war against Chapel Hill. If I recall they shot scenes from the first Harry Potter movie at Duke Chapel. HOWEVER UNC is the basketball team from God and Duke won't even come close in the war for best ACC Bball team. Can you say National Champions...? :)
road to the acc championship has to come through wake forest first.

jesus when did this become a duke UNC debate?

Hahahahahaha....I don't think I can roll my eyes any further. Wait let me try.....ugh NO!!!
Idk teague is a pretty sick guard and wake is loaded with size. They have an outside shot this year, and i think they might be the favorites in the next year or two.

UChicago is really nice while UCincinnati and OSU arent

all this talk about duke and unc is making me feel nauseous...

Idk teague is a pretty sick guard and wake is loaded with size. They have an outside shot this year, and i think they might be the favorites in the next year or two.

Hahaha. They are going to be good, but it's gonna take a lot more than an "outside shot...and size" to dethrone UNC.

Back to the topic, I do have to admit, Duke's campus is beautiful.

Hahaha. They are going to be good, but it's gonna take a lot more than an "outside shot...and size" to dethrone UNC.

Back to the topic, I do have to admit, Duke's campus is beautiful.
I meant outside shot as in the underdogs but still capable.

wow mayo and duke are beautiful...

i dont think mssm's annenberg is that bad.. :(.. its just a tall, black building. eh. lol.

this discussion about duke, wake, and unc is ridiculous...

we all know that State is the only school in NC that matters!

Jimmy V would have to agree. :thumbup:

Hopkins gets my vote for ugliest campus. East baltimore: :eek:

I saw Duke and UNC on the same day. Duke was "B"oring. It had bunch of concrete buildings, not much greenery between buildings, flat, not many people around, and very few patients/people at the hospital. The hospital fountains were shutdown due to water shortage. UNC was full of life. Lots of trees between buidlings, lots of people on campus, lots of people at the hospital and looked like a fun place to be. I was planning on applying to Duke but decided not to after seeing the campus.

OHSU has a fantastic campus and in a beautiful area.

UMDNJ-NJMS's campus is TERRIBLE. It's in the @sshole (Newark) of the @sshole of the country (NJ).

(Said by a not-very-proud NJ resident)
But House practices Medicine in Jersey! It must be cool!:cool:

My vote goes to IU Indianapolis. They recently renovated/redid alot and it definitely shows. :thumbup:

I saw Duke and UNC on the same day. Duke was "B"oring. It had bunch of concrete buildings, not much greenery between buildings, flat, not many people around, and very few patients/people at the hospital. The hospital fountains were shutdown due to water shortage. UNC was full of life. Lots of trees between buidlings, lots of people on campus, lots of people at the hospital and looked like a fun place to be. I was planning on applying to Duke but decided not to after seeing the campus.
We are talking about the same Duke, right?
davison.jpg

View of Duke South (where you take classes first year) from the undergrad side
5a4ffc7b8c.jpg

View of Duke South from the opposite side

It's obviously totally fine to not apply, but to say there isn't much greenery is a little odd. Though I'll agree, UNC's med school campus is a bit more spread out.

Also, it's been a few years since I've been there, but I remember thinking Case Western was in a pretty area.

Last edited:
UMDNJ-NJMS's campus is TERRIBLE. It's in the @sshole (Newark) of the @sshole of the country (NJ).

I'm at NJMS currently it is the real assburg of NJ.

Second that! 2009 is our year!!! Our campus was absolutely gorgeous before the construction and will be again after it's done. I will get a chance to see Duke in January, but it just seems like a difference in taste. Small college town homey feeling = UNC. New England style architecture and arts = Duke.

Sorry I didn't mean to say that Duke campus is not pretty. I guess I was disappointed when I walked through the research buidlings next to the hospital. I did not see a single soul on the property - bad timing I guess. It was a Sunday morning at 11 in early May.

Sorry I didn't mean to say that Duke campus is not pretty. I guess I was disappointed when I walked through the research buidlings next to the hospital. I did not see a single soul on the property - bad timing I guess. It was a Sunday morning at 11 in early May.
oh you don't need to apologize...I hope you didn't think I was offended, I was just a little surprised at the "lack of green" description.

this discussion about duke, wake, and unc is ridiculous...

we all know that State is the only school in NC that matters!

Very good point. The rest of the teams in the ACC would probably be more tired out come bowl game time in football or tourney time in basketball if they didn't at least get one or two easy wins during the season. ;)

this forum needs more pictures

haha yea thats true nevercold...state lost pretty bad to all the NC teams this football season!

My vote for nicest campus goes to UVM!! Beautiful!

hahaha i usually refer to dirt jerz as the armpit of america but I like your description better HAHA

yeah, the d'mouth hospital was nice but I thought the medical school itself was quite drab

I liked it. It had the college campus feel to it... although I had to leave before the tour of the Hanover campus to catch my flight though...