1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Nicest and Ugliest Campuses?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by gorrillaunit18, Nov 30, 2008.

1. Hello everyone! Sooo...I'm just curious which medical school campuses are the nicest and which ones are the "ugliest."

Thanks!

2. funkydrmonkey

funkydrmonkey They Call Me Dr. Funkmonk
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    This is very subjective...It depends what kind of architecture you like...

Also, sometimes the outside looks nice, but the inside is really ugly...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. TupacalipseT96

TupacalipseT96 R U Still Down?
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Beauty is in the eyes of the bee holder.

4. MossPoh

MossPoh Textures intrigue me
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Oh there are some ugly campuses/buildings. Some places are wedged into old crappy buildings buildings or basements of hospitals. I'm not going to name which ones though.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Man you're picky.;) Ok, which schools are the nicest on the outside?

6. ButImLETired

ButImLETired Prodigal member
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Well so far I have found that Vandy is lovely, UCSD is lovely, Duke is just plain stunning, Sinai is a beautiful building (but it IS one building, it's also in NYC though) and Stanford's alright (beautiful area but old facilities, except they're building a whole new med school I think so that'll probably be nice)

7. Retsage

2+ Year Member

Did you find Duke that pretty? Honestly, I don't remember how it looked almost at all. Vandy, I remember loving. Wasn't a fan of Feinberg. Georgetown's area was beautiful, but the med school facilities were not that great.

8. ar2388

ar2388 rads resident
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    upenn is really nice and green too.. harvard is nice but very "harvard". einstein is rather green and ncie too.

9. ButImLETired

Resident [Any Field]
    Well the undergrad campus is so pretty, and it's really just right there, so I pretty much clumped them together. I also got totally lost in the Duke gardens and by the third Koi pond I was just like "wtf?!"

10. TupacalipseT96

TupacalipseT96 R U Still Down?
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    WashU felt like my grandma's house. Which was kinda cool. Oak walls, yellow linoleum floors, scent of old lady perfume permeating the air. I honestly expected to see a large elderly woman in a moo moo come out from around the corner at any minute with some home cooked cous-cous it was that old school. Cozy place.

11. DrYoda

DrYoda Space Cowboy
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I don't think any medical campuses are particularly stunning, all the ones I've seen have just been really modern looking hospital and research buildings. Varying degrees of newness and fanciness but when you boil it down they all really just look like a typical hospital(except peds hospitals a few of those can be kind of neat looking).

If we're talking the whole university, and thus including the undergrad campuses, I would say Vanderbilt. It's like a giant park, and the buildings are pretty nice looking too.

12. mmmcdowe

mmmcdowe Duke of minimal vowels
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Gold Donor Verified Expert Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]

It looked like a castle, that was enough for me! Freaking sweet diggs.

I doubt you're going get to many nominations for ugly, who wants to diss an adcom's school by accident? lol :laugh:

I think the general trend is that the more "rural" campuses tend to be prettier, mainly because they aren't strapped for space like schools in the heart of big cities. For those who aren't used to the slight utilitarianism necessary for schools like that, I can see why a huge, spacious campus with lots of green things can be considered aesthetic. The urban campuses tend to be either compact or built up, which can give them the sense that they are cramped.

13. ChubbyChaser

ChubbyChaser Yummmy
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    UNC is pretty nice except theres alot of contruction going on now....Brody was kind of crappy IMO

14. Scean

Scean whats a goon to a goblin?
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Vandy was awesome

MCG, ehhh it was alright.

Wake was nice, and in a cozy area as well.

Edit: Oh and since I live close and see it alot; Emory is SICK, new medical building is gosh darn ridiculous, and as with many private schools (especially since its in pseudo-suburbia) many other aspects of the overall campus are beautiful as well.

15. Retsage

2+ Year Member

There was a pond?!

The problem with Duke was that I didn't get a chance to tour the campus.

16. UNMorBUST

UNMorBUST Mystery Man
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Im partial to UNM. But im biased.

17. MightyChip26

MightyChip26 Officially Class of 2013
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    City Campuses:
    Cornell = beautiful buildings in the swank upper east side of NYC!

Suburban/Town Campuses:
    Yale = nice looking georgian and neoclassical (Sterling Hall) buildings interspersed with huge modern buildings. I liked it.

18. veaselhaufen

5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    yale medical campus is unprotected from the undergrad area... nothing pretty about new haven

19. veaselhaufen

5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    i thought the whole uva campus was very beautiful. the medical area is not the focal point however

20. iA-MD2013

Medical Student
    Yeah, UVa has a beautiful campus!!!

21. funkydrmonkey

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I think UCLA is has an awesome med school. I am a bit biased though..:rolleyes:

Vandy was beautiful, and who could not love the arboretum that is the Vandy undergrad?

I really liked Pitt. I liked how it was all sprawled across the hills of Pittsburgh...

UTSW had a cutting edge campus where almost every building is new or being rebuilt/ redone/ retouched

Maryland was very new and it had nice facilities

UCSD, except for the ugly brown wooden building was pretty nice, although not the best

El Paso was nice and new, but the area surrounding it=:hungover:

Galveston HAD by far the most beautiful med school, but alas its fate is up for grabs:(

SLU was rather dinky, but it was not that bad

SUNY Upstate was really nice on the outside, but I like that kind of architecture

SUNY Buffalo was a concrete jungle...not very nice

UCSF (I have not interviewed here, but I visited it over the summer) was UGLY with a capital U... I hated the campus...

22. mmmcdowe

mmmcdowe Duke of minimal vowels
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Gold Donor Verified Expert Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You gotta give the Library props though, whatever you think of new haven.

23. Loon

Loon Clawed to bits
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I liked what I saw of Drexel, though there was definitely a feel of "modern building with an attempt at using brick to make it look classier."

Maybe it was the snow, but it was really pretty.

24. Orthodoc40

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    But it is true. Outside vs inside can be completely different! Plus the classroom facilities vs clinical facilities are different.
    In general, for those that end up interviewing at both MD & DO schools, they'll find that DO classroom facilities as well as clinical skills labs tend to be much nicer & more modern as a trend. Probably because they are newer.

25. ButImLETired

Resident [Any Field]
    Oh there were MULTIPLE ponds. It was that ridiculous.

26. Chemist0157

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Ones that stick out in my mind are Vanderbilt and SLU. Vandy was probably the most beautiful campus I visited. I didn't really like SLU's look from the outside; however, I interviewed on a pretty ugly day so I bet it's really okay on a sunny day.

27. Dr Lyss

Dr Lyss Professional Student
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    for city, Cornell is my winner so far. Their facilities are beyond gorgeous (dorms are hideous though)

UPitt was beautiful too. The hills make it look like a postcard

28. efitzpat

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Ugly = Toledo.

I LOVED the school, but the buildings were concrete and blah.

29. Slowpoke

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    whats wrong with concrete? would you rather the buildings be made out of spaghetti?

30. MilkmanAl

MilkmanAl Al the Ass Mod
    Physician 7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    UNC's campus is absolutely beautiful. There are tons of open spaces and trees and stuff. UAMS is just a big hospital complex, so there's not much of a campus to speak of.

31. ChubbyChaser

ChubbyChaser Yummmy
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    dartmouth is really really nice as well...the hospital is like a 5 star hotel.

32. funkydrmonkey

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Augh... that sucks, cuz I wont get to tour the hospital cuz I have to get back to Manchester for my flight at 5...

33. singularity2012

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Georgetown's medical school is adjacent to the undergraduate/graduate campus, and it is gorgeous. Basically the entire area is as swanky and posh as can be.

I haven't interviewed at Cornell, but I've heard the area around it is urban perfection.

VCU has a great medical center in downtown Richmond, but the feel is definitely calmer and more relaxed than one would expect.

SLU = totally fug.

34. Brock Samson

2+ Year Member

nm

#34 Brock Samson, Dec 1, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2008
  35. urban - Cornell

suburban - Stanford

rural - Dartmouth

36. chad5871

Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    Vermont - One of the prettiest locations (Burlington) and brand new facilities. First in my book.

37. SirGecko

SirGecko Go Navy
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Seconded! But I think that everything New Mexican is amazing.

38. creamsicle

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Aww, are you serious? I really liked the UCSF campus. I think the buildings look really nice nestled against the hills (being high up also gives the great perk of amazing views of the city--including the anatomy lab :D). I also thought that the Kalmanovitz library where they have you go in the morning is really pretty.

39. bodonid

bodonid Dr. Spaceman
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    ours should be in the running for the worst. Old buildings, construction, and there is no theme whatsoever: some brick, some cinder, some whitewash, some glass, and some blackpanel. And in the middle of campus is the childrens hospital, which is supposed to be shaped like a boat. I don't see it.

40. Rabbit36

Rabbit36 Lagomorphadelic
    5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    Really? I think Sinai (Annenberg) is one of the ugliest buildings in the city (and is often voted as one of the buildings in NY that should be torn down). Fortunately, students spend most of their first 2 years looking out, and no doubt it has some of the best views of any med school hands down. The actual inside of the building is very nice. As far as the city, I think Cornell has the consensus (but Sinai wins the housing war).

I also really liked UCSF. I need to be in a city, and I think it's a nice mix of green, some space, and a nice but (relatively) cheap neighborhood to live in. Plus I'm a library mole and I LOVE the library, best asset if you ask me. Clinical Sciences building is kind of 70's fab for my taste.

41. stixx

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    The hospital tour is around lunchtime...I think you'll be missing the tour of the Hanover campus. Trust me there's no way they'd let interviewees miss seeing that gorgeous hospital!

42. copperfrog09

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Have none of you been to Emory?? Unbelievable..

43. KempDrumsalot

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    How was Hopkins?

You guys are going to make me look into Vand lol.

44. NCDocWannabe

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    I've trained in Baltimore, Maryland for swimming this past summer and I happened to visit Hopkins. The medical complex is really nice. Modern buildings, a decent amount of green, Emoryesque IMO. HOWEVER, the area surrounding the medical school is a hell hole!!! You're essentially in spitting distance to the state prison, the housing available near the school is horrible and extremely sketch. Not sure if you've heard of it but The Wire is filmed on location not far from the school. I think for the most part, the city was really a patchwork of sketch and decency that depended upon which block you were on and how far you traveled on said block.
    Again these are just my somewhat limited observations, the best thing would be to take a trip for yourself before you apply just so you don't waste a few hundred bucks applying and then hating the location.

45. KempDrumsalot

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Definatly will consider traveling there this summer. I have some volunteer work, but I should be able to squeeze out of state for a weekend or so. I was afraid of the area AROUND the school, as I have not heard great things about Baltimore. Hopefully I find it a little more appealing :D.

46. MrBurns10

MrBurns10 Excellent, Smithers
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Retsage, come on man!

[​IMG]
    Duke Chapel
    [​IMG]
    Duke Gardens
    [​IMG]
    And, of course, Duke Hospital

#46 MrBurns10, Dec 1, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2008
  47. ButImLETired

Resident [Any Field]
    There are those Koi ponds I know and love!

Oh and Rabbit: I agree that from the outside, Annenberg is truly hideous. I guess I was referring to the inside. I really really loved the Guggenheim Pavilion...sigh....

48. MilkmanAl

MilkmanAl Al the Ass Mod
    Physician 7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    Wow, the Annenberg building is a monstrosity. Yikes.

Oh, and boo Dook. Yay Heels!

49. NCDocWannabe

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    As a NC resident and born and bred Tar Heel Fan, I have to give props where they are due and Duke wins the beautiful campus war against Chapel Hill. If I recall they shot scenes from the first Harry Potter movie at Duke Chapel. HOWEVER UNC is the basketball team from God and Duke won't even come close in the war for best ACC Bball team. Can you say National Champions...? :)

50. MilkmanAl

MilkmanAl Al the Ass Mod
    Physician 7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    Yeah, Duke does have a beautiful campus. *grumble*