no credit orgo grade on AMCAS report

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

okapi42

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I have a question about grade submission on the AMCAS. I took philosophy and an organic chemistry course at a community college over my freshman year summer to transfer my philosophy credits to my enrolled school and to get an intro to organic chemistry. I never meant to transfer my orgo scores to my enrolled school. I'm pretty sure I have to submit my transcript and grades from the community college to AMCAS but I also got a C+ in orgo that summer because I didn't treat it seriously. My orgo grades at my enrolled school are fine (b+,a-) but I know the c+ will still be under my science gpa for the AMCAS.... How does this grade look on my application? Can I comment on the grade somewhere in my application? How can I put in a comment describing my situation?

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't really understand the AMCAS application when I signed up for the course and there wasn't a pass/fail option at the community college. But I personally treated the class as pass/fail and didn't really understand that it would still be reported in my AMCAS application. I'm really worried because it would pull down my science gpa significantly. I'm just wondering if there was anywhere on the application I can explain this situation? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't really understand the AMCAS application when I signed up for the course and there wasn't a pass/fail option at the community college. But I personally treated the class as pass/fail and didn't really understand that it would still be reported in my AMCAS application. I'm really worried because it would pull down my science gpa significantly. I'm just wondering if there was anywhere on the application I can explain this situation? Thanks!
There are often opportunities in the secondary to explain things. Sadly, your explanation doesn't make me feel better about your application. That's why I'm suggesting that you not call attention to it unless specifically asked.

Reactions: 1 users
Other than this C+ in orgo over the summer at a community college my science GPA is around a 3.7. How meticulous are med school committees in looking into transcripts to see what classes contribute to GPA numbers? Would committees catch on to the fact that my orgo grade is the major pull down of my GPA? It bothers me that I've worked so hard at my primary institution to obtain this high GPA that this one grade that I didn't put in much effort for in one summer in a very basic class can pull my GPA down.

Other than this C+ in orgo over the summer at a community college my science GPA is around a 3.7. How meticulous are med school committees in looking into transcripts to see what classes contribute to GPA numbers? Would committees catch on to the fact that my orgo grade is the major pull down of my GPA? It bothers me that I've worked so hard at my primary institution to obtain this high GPA that this one grade that I didn't put in much effort for in one summer in a very basic class can pull my GPA down.
A single C is normal. Your overall gpa is fine. Most likely, the C will not be noticed until after you interview when the committee members go over every little thing. Even so, it's a small blemish, not worth the attention you call to it (as long as everything else is good).

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you so much for your help. So when the committee members do draw attention to the C in the interview, would my explanation for it be okay?

Thank you so much for your help. So when the committee members do draw attention to the C in the interview, would my explanation for it be okay?
It is unlikely that you will be present if that occurs. It will happen in committee.
Some schools have open interviews in which the interviewer has reviewed your application before meeting you. If he asks you about the C, tell the truth. The part about "I thought it was P/F so I barely paid attention" sure doesn't come off well. Neither does "I didn't know I would have to submit these courses to AMCAS."

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users