No more NBDE 1 and 2; INBDE. Thoughts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Typical Average Student

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Integrated National Board Dental Examination

I believe this will be effecting the entering class of 2021.

The Integrated National Board Dental Examination (INBDE) is a new written, cognitive examination for dental licensure scheduled to replace the current National Board Dental Examination (NBDE) Part I and Part II examinations no sooner than August 2020.

It is referred to as an “integrated” exam because it combines content from several disciplines, and test takers must integrate their knowledge of science with the clinical know-how involved in the safe practice of dentistry to answer many of the test items.

The INBDE has the same overall purpose as the NBDE Part I and Part II: to assist state boards of dentistry in evaluating candidates for dental licensure. By integrating content covering the basic, behavioral, and clinical sciences, the INBDE is expected to be more relevant than the current NBDE Part I and Part II examinations.

Members don't see this ad.

thoughts? well i took the pilot exam and it seemed fair, and i would rather take one big test and get it out of the way tbh.

Reactions: 2 users
Wouldn't this affect classes beyond 2022? Take Pitt for example, we take Part I summer after D1, so that's 2018.
yea and the schools I applied to take it summer after d2 so that would be 2019

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's nice to have one holistic boards.... but when would you be taking the exam? Before you step into clinic? Near the end of 4th year? I feel like you should have two parts to make sure students understand the material they're learning before stepping into clinic as well as when they graduate. Although, I guess the regional boards (WERB/NERB) would suffice for 4th year.. idk.

Reactions: 1 user
I think it's going to be a fair amount more difficult to prepare for. Just from the aspect of having to review everything from all the sciences that we took 3 or 4 years before the exam.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I think it's nice to have one holistic boards.... but when would you be taking the exam? Before you step into clinic? Near the end of 4th year? I feel like you should have two parts to make sure students understand the material they're learning before stepping into clinic as well as when they graduate. Although, I guess the regional boards (WERB/NERB) would suffice for 4th year.. idk.

i see your point. speaking from personal experience, part 2 was a lot easier to study for just because it was taken during 4th year at my school. clinic really helped reinforce concepts in my opinion.

Does that mean the tests are cut in half or are they going to take a 16-hour test? Also is that equivalent to less science?

Last edited:
As an international dentist who had to take her boards after completing dental school, I personally like one integrated exam better than two. For us, most international programs require both parts to apply anyways and this move will standardize that requirement across all schools. Of course this is very different from current dental students in the US since you guys take it during school years.

Integrated National Board Dental Examination

I believe this will be effecting the entering class of 2021.

The Integrated National Board Dental Examination (INBDE) is a new written, cognitive examination for dental licensure scheduled to replace the current National Board Dental Examination (NBDE) Part I and Part II examinations no sooner than August 2020.

It is referred to as an “integrated” exam because it combines content from several disciplines, and test takers must integrate their knowledge of science with the clinical know-how involved in the safe practice of dentistry to answer many of the test items.

The INBDE has the same overall purpose as the NBDE Part I and Part II: to assist state boards of dentistry in evaluating candidates for dental licensure. By integrating content covering the basic, behavioral, and clinical sciences, the INBDE is expected to be more relevant than the current NBDE Part I and Part II examinations.
Based on the timeline from ada it is more likely to effect class of 2022.
http://www.ada.org/~/media/JCNDE/pdfs/nbde02_examinee_guide.pdf?la=en
check pg. 5.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
hope we (2021) don't have to deal with this, I would hate going into completely different exam with uncertainty of what to expect

Reactions: 3 users
We were told during orientation at Michigan that the class of 2022 will be the first to take it. Not us though.

Reactions: 4 users
NBDE1 was 8h30. NBDE2 is 2 days-8h each day. I don't think it's beneficial at all to cram all that knowledge into 1 big exam. I don't even want to think about non-clinical-related classes after I've taken my NBDE1. Plus, from what my clinic experience has taught me so far, all the things I'm learning in terms of systemic health is only to write a consult to a physician that will end up treating the patient before they come for dental treatment. As long as I recognize that it's abnormal and know the level of urgency of the condition, why would I need to be tested on what the mechanism of that disease is? In other words, if a patient with ASA-4 or ASA-5 shows up to my door step, dental problem is probably the last thing they have to worry about (well unless it's odontogenic infection leading to cellulitis, etc. )

Is there any word if this exam will be Pass/Fail or if they will give out scores like previous NBDE's?

One Holistic 1.5 day test??!! I feel like the test would be "watered down" from the current boards. That would be a LOT to remember for one single test. Just adding more stress to dental school... o_O

-Fyz

NBDE1 was 8h30. NBDE2 is 2 days-8h each day. I don't think it's beneficial at all to cram all that knowledge into 1 big exam. I don't even want to think about non-clinical-related classes after I've taken my NBDE1. Plus, from what my clinic experience has taught me so far, all the things I'm learning in terms of systemic health is only to write a consult to a physician that will end up treating the patient before they come for dental treatment. As long as I recognize that it's abnormal and know the level of urgency of the condition, why would I need to be tested on what the mechanism of that disease is? In other words, if a patient with ASA-4 or ASA-5 shows up to my door step, dental problem is probably the last thing they have to worry about (well unless it's odontogenic infection leading to cellulitis, etc. )
Holy hell. 8.5 hours for the NBDE1? I can't imagine taking a test that long. I guess it doesn't seem to be that bad when your in the moment solving questions though

Any new thoughts on this topic? I am in the class of 2021 and will have the option to take either traditional 1 & 2 or integrated. There has been a decent amount of information released on the exam. The JCNDE emphasizes on the ADA website that they want to move away from rote memorization and more toward clinical decision making based scenarios. They have released 50 practice questions that can be found on the website link from the original post in this thread. Many people who have taken the mock exam said it was more similar to Part 2 than Part 1. I am just wondering if at this point anyone has any recommendations one way or another because this is a decision I will be making soon.

Cheers

Can someone share some insight into this? I know a few people have mentioned taking a mock version of the integrated boards. Do you mind sharing what it's like? you can PM me if you want to. I'd greatly appreciate it!

Wow... to think I posted this 1 year ago. Well. I'm currently studying for NBDE Part 1 and I'll say, it's brutal. You have to recall and relearn material that you were tested on from the DAT, useless stuff. Absolutely useless.

The Integrated exam from what I've heard is much more clinical/problem based and cuts out all of the unnecessary BS we have to learn from the NBDE(at least from Part 1). Students that took the pilot integrated exam said it was so much better. If I was in the 2021 position, I would hold off on the NBDE and just take the integrated exam UNLESS your school takes the boards after year 1 since it's still sorta fresh in your head. I'm having a difficult time studying since we don't take our boards until the end of 2nd year... so we have to recall stuff from 2 years ago...

Reactions: 1 users
I don’t want to complain, but I think the INBDE is a bad idea. I think they should just go back to Part I and Part II being graded. It made things a lot more simple.

Holy hell. 8.5 hours for the NBDE1? I can't imagine taking a test that long. I guess it doesn't seem to be that bad when your in the moment solving questions though

I took the exam last year. You can speed through it and not take the optional breaks. It'll save 2+ hours if you do.

Not saying it was easy, it certainly wasn't, but I felt the time limits were definitely reasonable. So the 8.5 hours is the maximum, not necessarily how long you actually will take for the exam.

I took the exam last year. You can speed through it and not take the optional breaks. It'll save 2+ hours if you do.

Not saying it was easy, it certainly wasn't, but I felt the time limits were definitely reasonable. So the 8.5 hours is the maximum, not necessarily how long you actually will take for the exam.
I took the NBDE1 exam earlier this month and passed. I did the exam in 3 hrs (3.5 including the middle break). I agree it ain't as long as people think.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk