No RECENT clinical experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Leafybug92

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi friends,

I am currently working in a clinical research lab and dedicate about 20 hrs/week. I will have about 1500hrs by next summer. I currently do not have any publications under my belt, and I have not indicated on my primary that my team plans to submit this upcoming year (although I have mentioned this in most of my secondaries so far). Also, my last clinical experience was about a year ago before I started research. I have about 650hrs (scribing, volunteering).

So here's the question: Does it look bad if I haven't had recent clinical experience, and have spent a great deal of time in a lab where I have yet to yield a publication?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi friends,

I am currently working in a clinical research lab and dedicate about 20 hrs/week. I will have about 1500hrs by next summer. I currently do not have any publications under my belt, and I have not indicated on my primary that my team plans to submit this upcoming year (although I have mentioned this in most of my secondaries so far). Also, my last clinical experience was about a year ago before I started research. I have about 650hrs (scribing, volunteering).

So here's the question: Does it look bad if I haven't had recent clinical experience, and have spent a great deal of time in a lab where I have yet to yield a publication?

Thanks!
You said you're currently in a clinical research lab. Do you not have exposure there to current patients, as the description suggests? What is your role in this lab?

You said you're currently in a clinical research lab. Do you not have exposure there to current patients, as the description suggests? What is your role in this lab?

I perform pulmonary function tests on them - mainly study participants with COPD and ALS. Just not sure if it is actually considered "clinical."

Last edited:
I perform pulmonary function tests on them - mainly study participants with COPD and ALS. Just not sure if it is actually considered "clinical."
As they are current patients and the study you performed is pertinent to treatment decisions, depending on your description, it could well be looked on as clinical.