Non-dental roomates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emhl123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am currently looking for a roommate for the upcoming year and was wondering if it would be better to live with a dental student or medical student? What are the pros and cons of each?

Members don't see this ad.

I mean, this depends on the person more than anything. Good person does not mean good roommate. I have a med student roommate right now who is an amazing person, great student, good friend, but absolutely terrible roommate. Conversely, senior year of undergrad one of my roommates mowed lawns and worked at a brewery for a living. He was the best, most considerate roommate I've ever had.

Benefits of either med or dental is that they will be as serious as you are about studying. The apartment will probably be quiet usually. Both of you will be extremely busy all the time. The added benefit of a dental roommate would probably be that they can study with you, remind you of deadlines, help you practice, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 4 users
The obvious pro of living with a dental student is you have someone to study with, but the con is you might get sick of being on school-mode all the time. With regards to everything else, it really depends on the person. I basically had a different roommate each year of college and can tell you from firsthand experience that being good friends/liking a person says absolutely nothing about what they're like as a roommate. The second to last person I roomed with was a social butterfly, but was always very considerate and clean at home -- the complete opposite of everything I expected haha. As long as you communicate your expectations in the beginning, I wouldn't be too concerned. If it were up to me, I'd just live alone but only b/c I know how irritable I get when I'm studying.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
A dental student so you can study together! But make sure they are trustworthy and likable! You don't want to trust them and give them all your personal information and next thing you know, they tell everyone in your school about them.

Just set the boundaries straight before signing the contract!

Cleaning, parties if any!, bringing bf/gf, pets, loud music, guests! So you are both on the same page.

But on the other hand, a medical student is not a bad thing, you know! It's good because if you have a problem with this roommate and decide to kick him out or you decide to leave, he won't annoy you at school, it will be just inside your apartment, nobody will know about it. He won't trash talk about you in front of your classmates. You know, your secrets will be safe!

If it's up to me, I'll choose to live in a small studio just to avoid all the drama, but sadly, the money is always an issue. Roommates are hit or miss!

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly does not matter! its all about who you will get along with better. that will make all the difference as it will determine how much you will put up with haha.

I would say they just can't be noisy especially at night and you're good. I honestly think it wouldn't be good to room with another d student b/c they could potentially distract you (wanting to study or talk about subjects if you're studying solo). Just gotta be on the same wavelength or it could be bad. If you like studying with friends then it would be a benefit.

Download Sheldon Cooper's Roommate Agreement! In all honesty, though a contract is necessary even if it is awkward at first.

Hi everyone. I am currently looking for a roommate for the upcoming year and was wondering if it would be better to live with a dental student or medical student? What are the pros and cons of each?

doesn't really make a different
most important thing is that you find someone that is compatible with you in terms of living together

Have you guys found that it's better to room with people in your class or those from other classes?