Non-SMP, Research-focused Gap Year Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EuanF

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for one-year masters programs (or other gap year type programs, aside from NIH, etc.) that provided interesting courses and preferably some structured research experience in the biomedical sciences? To clarify, this is not for specific post-bac/SMP programs or to make up for GPA, etc. but rather to gain some more meaningful research and academic experience.

For more info, I'm a nontrad who's a few years out from undergrad, did well on my MCAT, and am looking for such a program to complete in the year applying to medical school. I found a few suggestions here and there, but most seemed to be SMP-focused. I hope this isn't redundant! Thanks so much.

Members don't see this ad.

This is the program I did right out of undergrad:

http://cmm.arizona.edu/graduate-program/MS_degree

It's an interesting program because it allows you to take medical school-like courses such as human gross anatomy and pathology, but also has more research-oriented classes such as cell biology and neurobiology, which are taught by Ph.D.'s. It also has a thesis requirement; I did a research-based thesis, but it is also possible to do a lit. review instead.

However, if you are looking to do research, why not just get a paid job as a research assistant, or even work for free in a lab? Most terminal masters programs won't provide you with a stipend, so you'd be looking at added expenses on top of the medical school loans you will inevitably incur. If you are confident in your chances at getting into medical school without a masters, then I would strongly advise against it, unless finances are not an issue for you.