Non-Trad: Do I need pre reqs?(MCAT and Applying)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jazzyp

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have been reading through the forums for few weeks now and I am truly inspired! I am a 24 year old non- traditional, Psychology student who graduates spring 2017. I am seeking advice about my chances of getting into medical school based on where I am in the process. It seems that I have many things that I need except for a completion of pre reqs! Here is some information about my ec's:

Home health aide: Assisting people with everyday living.
Internship: Working in a world class hospital, assisting docs with their new medical records system.
Volunteer: Hospital, small clinic, hospice.
Community service: 9 days doing community service across the east coast.
Research: Research assistant(Psychology), social science data collector.
Education: Studied medical ethics and health policy in the UK, teaching assistant for physiology.
Shadowing: shadowed during internship and small clinic.

Letters of rec:
Physiology prof./advisor
Psychology prof./advisor
Medical school professor
Volunteer coordinator

Course work:
Psychology major: overall 3.0 GPA
Chem: 1.5(Spring 2015)
Bio 1: 3.0(Fall 2015)
Bio 1 lab: 3.0(Fall 2015)
Bio 2: 2.5( Spring 2016)
Physio: 4.0(Spring 2016)

My study habits have improved tremendously since taking chemistry. I took chemistry during my first semester at university in which I ran into health problems that kept me hospitalized majority of the 2nd part of the semester. This resulted in me starting my university career out with a 1.8. I came back swinging and brought it up to a 3.0. Currently, I am not taking traditional pre reqs in order to finish up my degree requirements. For my last semester of my psy. degree I plan to take chemistry 2 along with 3 more psy. courses.

Once I complete my psy. degree spring 2017, I will be completing a second degree in Human Biology which will take me about 3 semesters. By spring 2018, I would have completed all pre reqs plus more.

Ideally, I would like to raise my gpa to about 3.2-3.5(fall/Spring 2017), study for the MCAT December '17-May '17, take the MCAT late may, and apply to MD schools that are quite competitive but do not require pre reqs. In the event that I am not accepted to any of these schools, I will still be taking the pre reqs in order to apply to DO schools + MD schools summer 2018.

Does this seem like a good plan? please give me any advice that would increase my chances of getting accepted. I want to go to medical school for many more reasons than one! Since this post is rather elaborate, I will not go into all of the details about why I NEED to go to medical school.

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Like it or not, ALL med schools want you to have the pre-reqs in one way or another. As of now, you have yet to demonstrate that you can handle med school.

ALL MD schools are competitive. DO schools are as well, but more forgiving.

Ideally, I would like to raise my gpa to about 3.2-3.5(fall/Spring 2017), study for the MCAT December '17-May '17, take the MCAT late may, and apply to MD schools that are quite competitive but do not require pre reqs. In the event that I am not accepted to any of these schools, I will still be taking the pre reqs in order to apply to DO schools + MD schools summer 2018.

Does this seem like a good plan? please give me any advice that would increase my chances of getting accepted. I want to go to medical school for many more reasons than one! Since this post is rather elaborate, I will not go into all of the details about why I NEED to go to medical school.

Thank you in advance![/QUOTE]

If you are getting ready to graduate you must be pushing 120 hrs and raising a 3.0 to a 3.5 is unlikely to happen in a few semesters, especially since you honestly haven't performed well in the easiest of the prereqs thus far. Based on past performance you would be doing very well if you got B's in Ochem/BioChem/Physics. At this point you should consider retaking at least Chem 1 or take Chem 2 and get an A. If you can't figure out how to get an A in Chem 1 or 2, it is unlikely you will get A's in the more difficult prereqs.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Course work:

...Currently, I am not taking traditional pre reqs in order to finish up my degree requirements. For my last semester of my psy. degree I plan to take chemistry 2 along with 3 more psy. courses.

Once I complete my psy. degree spring 2017, I will be completing a second degree in Human Biology which will take me about 3 semesters. By spring 2018, I would have completed all pre reqs plus more.

Thank you in advance!
You need to retake Chem 1 before you take Chem 2
And then you have to take Orgo 1 & 2
And then you have to take Biochem
Plus Physics 1 & 2 in there somewhere, and other upper level Bio courses that would be helpful for the MCAT.

So you're really looking at 5 semesters after you do your psych reqs, unless you do both Gen Chem classes overlapping with your last psych year.

Also, why a 2nd bacc in Human Bio? If just to stay in for tuition/fin.aid purposes, great. But beware the major requirements for that one. "Human Bio" is often a watered down version of the real science majors. If an advisor tells you to take a bio or chem course for the Human Bio major that isn't also a required course for straight Bio/Chem majors, then it's not a class you can count as a pre-req for med school.

If you are getting ready to graduate you must be pushing 120 hrs and raising a 3.0 to a 3.5 is unlikely to happen in a few semesters, especially since you honestly haven't performed well in the easiest of the prereqs thus far. Based on past performance you would be doing very well if you got B's in Ochem/BioChem/Physics. At this point you should consider retaking at least Chem 1 or take Chem 2 and get an A. If you can't figure out how to get an A in Chem 1 or 2, it is unlikely you will get A's in the more difficult prereqs.
You are right! 3.0 to a 3.5 in 2 semesters is highly unlikely especially since I only have 26 credits to go toward that and i'm scoring a 3.5 in those classes. I thought that I was improving enough to prove myself in chem 2. At this point I have a basic understanding in chemistry, I was hospitalized for 2 of the chem 1 exams and did poorly(the class grade is based on 3 exams total). My study habits have changed, I was able to pull off a 4.0 in physio(which is the "hardest" class i've taken thus far) based solely on my new study habits. Also I think I know how to study for complex sciences a lot better at this point.

Last edited:
You need to retake Chem 1 before you take Chem 2
And then you have to take Orgo 1 & 2
And then you have to take Biochem
Plus Physics 1 & 2 in there somewhere, and other upper level Bio courses that would be helpful for the MCAT.

So you're really looking at 5 semesters after you do your psych reqs, unless you do both Gen Chem classes overlapping with your last psych year.

Also, why a 2nd bacc in Human Bio? If just to stay in for tuition/fin.aid purposes, great. But beware the major requirements for that one. "Human Bio" is often a watered down version of the real science majors. If an advisor tells you to take a bio or chem course for the Human Bio major that isn't also a required course for straight Bio/Chem majors, then it's not a class you can count as a pre-req for med school.

I decided to do a second degree in Human Bio because it is a lot cheaper than the post baccs in my area. However, I am considering post baccs outside of Michigan that have linkage programs. With the Human Bio degree I would be able to fulfill all pre reqs + upper level science courses. Bio 1 and 2, Pysio, and cem 1 would count toward the Human Bio degree as well, meaning I would be looking at 30 credits spread out over 2 summer semesters, 1 fall, and 1 spring. Would you recommend something other than the 2nd degree?

You are right! 3.0 to a 3.5 in 2 semesters is highly unlikely especially since I only have 26 credits to go toward that and i'm scoring a 3.5 in those classes so far. I thought that I was improving enough to prove myself in chem 2. At this point I have a basic understanding in chemistry, I was hospitalized for 2 of the chem 1 exams and did poorly(the class grade is based on 3 exams total). My study habits have changed, I was able to pull off a 4.0 in physio(which is the "hardest" class i've taken thus far) based solely on my new study habits. Also I think I know how to study for complex sciences a lot better at this point.

You are right! 3.0 to a 3.5 in 2 semesters is highly unlikely especially since I only have 26 credits to go toward that and i'm scoring a 3.5 in those classes. I thought that I was improving enough to prove myself in chem 2. At this point I have a basic understanding in chemistry, I was hospitalized for 2 of the chem 1 exams and did poorly(the class grade is based on 3 exams total). My study habits have changed, I was able to pull off a 4.0 in physio(which is the "hardest" class i've taken thus far) based solely on my new study habits. Also I think I know how to study for complex sciences a lot better at this point.
I suggest retaking Chem 1 because a C-/D+ is typically not accepted by med schools as fufilling the pre-req. Also, if you apply DO as well, then you can have the grade replaced.
Also, IDK about your school, but at mine Physio is mostly a joke. Good to hear you've improved your study habits, but that one class isn't entirely reassuring in regards to your ability to handle the course load. A's in Orgo, Biochem, Genetics, or other hard science upper levels though, would allay most concerns.

I decided to do a second degree in Human Bio because it is a lot cheaper than the post baccs in my area. However, I am considering post baccs outside of Michigan that have linkage programs. With the Human Bio degree I would be able to fulfill all pre reqs + upper level science courses. Bio 1 and 2, Pysio, and cem 1 would count toward the Human Bio degree as well, meaning I would be looking at 30 credits spread out over 2 summer semesters, 1 fall, and 1 spring. Would you recommend something other than the 2nd degree?
Nothing against the 2nd bacc (I did one), esp as a way to get the pre-reqs & rehabilitate a GPA for reasonable money.
My point though is don't get mentally tied into completing a Human Bio major. Having the 2nd diploma doesn't really do anything for you in regards to med school, it's just a vehicle for getting the coursework.
And as I said above, a "Human" Bio major, as opposed to a regular Bio major, is often watered down - so just do your due diligence and make sure you're taking the right courses to fulfill the pre-reqs. Maybe I'm reading too much into the "Human" qualifier, your school may have a much more rigorous program than I've seen. It's just that in my experience the Human Bio classes I've seen have been non-majors courses, and as a major tends to be geared for people wanting to go into exercise science or nursing, not med/dent/pharm professional school applicants. YMMV.

Hello,

I have been reading through the forums for few weeks now and I am truly inspired! I am a 24 year old non- traditional, Psychology student who graduates spring 2017. I am seeking advice about my chances of getting into medical school based on where I am in the process. It seems that I have many things that I need except for a completion of pre reqs! Here is some information about my ec's:

Home health aide: Assisting people with everyday living.
Internship: Working in a world class hospital, assisting docs with their new medical records system.
Volunteer: Hospital, small clinic, hospice.
Community service: 9 days doing community service across the east coast.
Research: Research assistant(Psychology), social science data collector.
Education: Studied medical ethics and health policy in the UK, teaching assistant for physiology.
Shadowing: shadowed during internship and small clinic.

Letters of rec:
Physiology prof./advisor
Psychology prof./advisor
Medical school professor
Volunteer coordinator

Course work:

My study habits have improved tremendously since taking chemistry. I took chemistry during my first semester at university in which I ran into health problems that kept me hospitalized majority of the 2nd part of the semester. This resulted in me starting my university career out with a 1.8. I came back swinging and brought it up to a 3.0. Currently, I am not taking traditional pre reqs in order to finish up my degree requirements. For my last semester of my psy. degree I plan to take chemistry 2 along with 3 more psy. courses.

Thank you in advance!
Anything less than a B you're risking yourself. Get up and retake and work for it. Goodluck!

How do you plan on Doing well on the mcat without having taken pre-reqs. The MCAT is not a pure reasoning or logic or if test. You need to have a firm foundation of sciences to be able to compete on it. Frankly I would advice against sitting for the mcat unless you are scoring well on the practice , because a bad score would decrease your chances to zero. This is a marathon not a race , take the time to complete the pre-reqs prior to applying.