This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaliGirl111

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm a nontraditional 28 yo applicant, graduated class 2014 with biological sciences degree. Here are my stats:

MCAT: 517

undergrad cGPA:
3.09 (including the postbacc "undergrad" courses)
2.92 (if I didn't include the postbacc)

undergrad sGPA:
2.87 (including the postbacc "undergrad" courses)
2.52 (if I didn't include the postbacc)

postbacc GPA: 4.0

cumulative GPA
: 3.20
cumulative sGPA: 3.06

Clinical Volunteer Hours: ~500 (2020-2021) + 800 (from 2011-2015)
Nonclinical Volunteer Hours: ~200 (from 2020-2021)
Research: ~500 hrs (from 2012-2015)
Shadowing: ~160 hrs (2020-2021)

I'm currently doing a DIY post bacc that lets you count some classes as undergrad GPA as they are considered undergrad courses (confirmed with counselor - so that raised my undergrad GPA a bit). If I include the courses in my undergrad (to get higher GPA), I'll end up with 21 semester hours. But total post bacc would be around 45 semester hrs. And I can def maintain a 4.0.

Also not sure how all of those old volunteer/research hours look, whether or not they're even relevant anymore.

I'm looking to apply this coming cycle spring 2021. And yes, I know that I could raise my GPA higher with another year of postbacc, but with a higher MCAT score, I was hoping it could offset my low GPA. I also need my spring qtr grades, whcih come out latest 2 weeks after spring qtr (mid/late june). I already have my personal statement and app ready, so I'll submit whenever grades are out, but I know that's not super early.

Do you guys think I should keep my grades fully in the post bacc section, or move some of them into the undergrad section? I was thinking that if I move them to the undergrad, maybe I won't get screened out of some schools?

Any suggestions? How do my stats look? What are my chances with DO vs. low tier MDs (maybe possible??) Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You are competitive for DO schools with your stats and I suggest these:
WESTERN
TUCOM-CA
TUNCOM
AZCOM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
DMU-COM
MU-COM
ACOM
WVSOM
PCOM (all schools)
LECOM (all schools)
You could also try some MD schools and I suggest these:
California University
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Wake Forest
NOVA MD
TCU-UNT
Creighton
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State

Reactions: 1 user
thanks for the list! It definitely adds to the list that I have right now?

Do you think I should include the post bacc classes as part of undergrad, which would leave me with less post bacc hours, but raising my uGPA...or leave them all as postbacc and have a lower uGPA?

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the list! It definitely adds to the list that I have right now?

Do you think I should include the post bacc classes as part of undergrad, which would leave me with less post bacc hours, but raising my uGPA...or leave them all as postbacc and have a lower uGPA?

I don’t think you can choose that. If your classes were after graduation, it’ll be classified as post bacc by AMCAS. If you took it before graduations, it’ll be classified as senior year.

Reactions: 1 users
I don’t think you can choose that. If your classes were after graduation, it’ll be classified as post bacc by AMCAS. If you took it before graduations, it’ll be classified as senior year.
that's what I thought too! But the advisor kept telling me that it would really go under my undergrad classes. I think I'm leaning more towards your saying though.

would a lower uGPA, even with a 4.0 post bacc, get screened out? without those postbacc "undergrad" classes, I would have sub 3.0 for both undergrad cGPA and sGPA

You are competitive for DO schools with your stats and I suggest these:
WESTERN
TUCOM-CA
TUNCOM
AZCOM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
DMU-COM
MU-COM
ACOM
WVSOM
PCOM (all schools)
LECOM (all schools)
You could also try some MD schools and I suggest these:
California University
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Wake Forest
NOVA MD
TCU-UNT
Creighton
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
if I were to use my sub 3.0 uGPAs, would this list change?

that's what I thought too! But the advisor kept telling me that it would really go under my undergrad classes. I think I'm leaning more towards your saying though.

would a lower uGPA, even with a 4.0 post bacc, get screened out? without those postbacc "undergrad" classes, I would have sub 3.0 for both undergrad cGPA and sGPA
at some schools, you will be screened out but look for schools that award reinvention, @Goro names a few schools in this thread Goro's guide to Reinvention

Reactions: 1 users
at some schools, you will be screened out but look for schools that award reinvention, @Goro names a few schools in this thread Goro's guide to Reinvention

So your postbacc classes do get counted as undergraduate even if they were taken post-graduation (as long as they weren't graduate-level classes). The only difference is that they don't get counted as part of your year-by-year GPAs in college. They will be lumped together in 1 "postbacc" row.

Your GPA grid will look something like this (random #'s):

Freshman: 2.x | 30 units
Sophomore: 2.x | 30 units
Junior: 2.x | 30 units
Senior: 2.x |30 units
Postbaccalaureate: 4.0 | X units
Cumulative Undergraduate: 3.x | total # of units

Reactions: 1 user
So your postbacc classes do get counted as undergraduate even if they were taken post-graduation (as long as they weren't graduate-level classes). The only difference is that they don't get counted as part of your year-by-year GPAs in college. They will be lumped together in 1 "postbacc" row.

Your GPA grid will look something like this (random #'s):

Freshman: 2.x | 30 units
Sophomore: 2.x | 30 units
Junior: 2.x | 30 units
Senior: 2.x |30 units
Postbaccalaureate: 4.0 | X units
Cumulative Undergraduate: 3.x | total # of units
Okay that makes sense. Thanks so much for the thorough explanation.