Non-Trad Reinventor, Low uGPA/4.0 Post-Bacc - Do I Need an SMP, or Can I Apply 2019-2020?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AaqDasaq721

Reaction score
Hi, I am a longtime lurker on SDN, and finally created an account to post in WAMC as I finish up my DIY post-bacc.

I graduated from UC Berkeley with a degree in pure mathematics and a very low c/sGPA, both around 2.5-2.6. I took about 120 units, but about 30% was done Pass/Fail, which also included Math and Statistics classes. I also failed 4 classes (3 NP's, and 1 F). There were no extenuating circumstances other than the fact that I was very lazy and stupid, and had no clear career goal in mind. I thought I wanted to be a software engineer, then an actuary, then a data scientist, then the lack of direction imploded on me.

I took about a 6-month break to figure out what I wanted to do, and during that 6 months I took EMS classes and volunteered at a hospital in Southern California. I absolutely loved the training/work I did as EMT, and the work felt extremely meaningful. I knew I wanted to pursue a career in health, but didn't really think about becoming a doctor until I shadowed and gained some more work experience as an EMT. During that summer I decided to enroll in psych classes at Santa Monica College to ease myself back into academics and fix my studying habits. A semester later, I was certain I needed a higher GPA to pursue any career in medicine (on top of prereqs), and began my post-bacc at UCLA and UCLA Extension.

Race/Status:
  • Asian ORM
  • CA Resident
  • Graduated HS in NY (if this counts as a tie to the state?)
Undergraduate GPA:
  • undergrad cGPA: 2.67 (2.5 if you count the F as AAMC would)
  • undergrad sGPA: 2.4 - 2.5
  • Total Units: ~120, with ~90 counting towards GPA, rest taken P/F.
Sample classes I took in undergrad: Calc 1/2/3, Linear Algebra, upper div. proof-based Math, computer science classes, Statistics classes. No BCP classes. I also took 1 year English (Reading Comp. and Comparative Literature).

Post-Bacc GPA:
  • Both cGPA and sGPA is 4.0.
  • Took about 90 semester units including science classes from UCLA and UCLA Extension, and 5 humanities classes from Santa Monica College.
  • Took upper division biology classes in Virology, Cell Biology, Molecular Biology, Genetics, Parasitology, Immunology, and Developmental Biology. Also took 1 year of Biochemistry.
  • Humanities classes are: 3 Psych classes, and 2 semesters of Spanish.
  • A in prereqs; also took Anatomy and Physiology at lower div. level. Took microbiology at SMC for financial reasons.
Combined GPA:
  • cGPA: 3.35
  • sGPA: 3.44

This is what my GPA trend looks like broken down by semester/quarter:

And this is what my GPA trend looks like broken down by year:

MCAT:

Total: 517
C/P: 128, CARS: 128, B/B: 129, P/S: 132

EC's:
  • Projected 3000-4000 hours paid clinical time as EMT.
  • Projected 500 hours clinical volunteer at 2 hospitals.
  • Projected combined 500 hours nonclinical volunteer at an immigration center (I'm a first-gen immigrant myself and I know the bitter life of an "alien", and wanted to help out in any way I can), YMCA, and a soup kitchen.
  • 0 research experience.
LoR's:
  • I obtained 2 science letters from UCLA Extension professors, and 1 humanities letter from a SMC professor. They seemed to like me, so hopefully they were well written.

I know I screwed up royally during my undergrad, and I really don't have an excuse for it. But I guess my failures as an undergrad was almost necessary for that big slap in the face to grow the **** up and take responsibility for my future.

I would really like to avoid an SMP due to the financial burden, but I'm running out of classes to take post-bacc. UCLA concurrent enrollment is a huge pain to get into classes with, and I can imagine CSU classes will be as difficult as well.

I understand my combined GPA is quite low at 3.35 cGPA and 3.44 sGPA. I'm open to both MD and DO, but of course I'd prefer MD due to the greater # of doors it opens. Do I have realistic, competitive chances at mid to low tier MD's, or do I need an SMP to have a real chance? Time is not a factor for me as I'm in no rush to get into medical school (in fact I've really enjoyed the post-bacc material), and I'll gladly delay my app for a year or two to maximize my chances.

Should I apply 2019-2020? If so, where? If not, what should I do? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
You are fine to apply this year but include DO schools in your application. I suggest these MD schools with your stats:
UC Davis
UC Riverside
Loma Linda
Kaiser
California University
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Georgetown
Eastern Virginia
NOVA MD
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Loyola
Rush
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
Also apply to at least 6 DO schools and you are competitive for all DO schools.

Reactions: 1 user
You are fine to apply this year but include DO schools in your application. I suggest these MD schools with your stats:
UC Davis
UC Riverside
Loma Linda
Kaiser
California University
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Georgetown
Eastern Virginia
NOVA MD
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Loyola
Rush
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane

Thank you for the list. I was looking over this website:

Average GPA and MCAT Score for Every Medical School (Updated in 2018)

and it seems schools like Drew in CA and Howard in D.C. have relatively low GPA and MCAT medians, at around ~3.5/502 for Howard and Drew has a 3.0/498 for averages. Are these MD programs I should bother applying to?

Members don't see this ad :)
Not unless you are black.

Of Faha's list, I recommend:

UC Davis
UC Riverside (Only if you're from the Inland Empire)
Kaiser
California University
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Drexel
George Washington
Georgetown
Eastern Virginia
NOVA MD
Loyola
Rush
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane

To the list, add these, even with your lack of research:

Keck
UCSF
UCI
Duke
Columbia
Case
Dartmouth
Vandy
Mayo
Pitt
BU
Tufts
Wayne State
Wake
Emory
Hofstra

OP could do something like Peace Corps or Teach for America to improve his application, but this is gilding the lily with 1,000 hours of volunteering and 4,000 hours of clinical exposure. It would help, but the GPA and lack of research means he's not exactly Harvard material. Chances good at schools Goro's listed. OP: you could get into Columbia; you might wind up at a DO school. The reinvention and the 90 credits of 4.0 mean a lot and you'll be treated like you can handle the academics. Good luck.

OP could do something like Peace Corps or Teach for America to improve his application, but this is gilding the lily with 1,000 hours of volunteering and 4,000 hours of clinical exposure. It would help, but the GPA and lack of research means he's not exactly Harvard material. Chances good at schools Goro's listed. OP: you could get into Columbia; you might wind up at a DO school. The reinvention and the 90 credits of 4.0 mean a lot and you'll be treated like you can handle the academics. Good luck.

Thank you. I have the time and money to apply to about 45 MD schools and 10 DO schools, so I think I'll do that. I know my current stats are on the low side, and med school applications are a crapshoot, but do you think I'll have trouble landing II's (or even an acceptance) from MD schools like Goro's list?

Also, @Goro @Faha recently I've stumbled on an opportunity to move and work in Texas for a year, as one of my parents might end up moving there, which drastically reduces CoL. Do you think it's a better idea to just apply now, or take a year off to work/volunteer in Texas and pay my taxes, then apply through TMDAS?

Thank you. I have the time and money to apply to about 45 MD schools and 10 DO schools, so I think I'll do that. I know my current stats are on the low side, and med school applications are a crapshoot, but do you think I'll have trouble landing II's (or even an acceptance) from MD schools like Goro's list?

Also, @Goro @Faha recently I've stumbled on an opportunity to move and work in Texas for a year, as one of my parents might end up moving there, which drastically reduces CoL. Do you think it's a better idea to just apply now, or take a year off to work/volunteer in Texas and pay my taxes, then apply through TMDAS?
Triple check TX residency requirements. I think I read something that they're wise to people moving insate to take advantage of this, so the may me more stringent on residency requirements.

Applying to 45 med schools is foolish. You'll burn yourself on on apps. 20-30 should be your number.

Right now I only know that UTSW and UTSA seem to be forgiving of reinvention. TCOM is highly probable.

Why don’t you apply for a research job and get some research experience and maybe even abstracts/publications? Also maybe add Harvard to your school list too.

• Haha
62599368-2806-453A-AD51-E8BF3971E5A0.png
Why don’t you apply for a research job and get some research experience and maybe even abstracts/publications? Also maybe add Harvard to your school list too.

Good luck; hope your cycle's going well. 90 credits of 4.0 plus a 517 MCAT definitely shows adcoms that you've matured and can handle medical school.