This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I primarily would like to know if I look like a competitive applicant (at least on paper) and if there are any revisions I should make to my school list. Thank you!

I guess I will use the format from the Description page:
  1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS
    cGPA is a 3.64 and sGPA is a 3.98
    Low cGPA is due to military credits that count towards GPA... 60 SH in 6 months, only had a 3.53. Drags down the rest of my GPA, but almost nothing but 4.0 for the last 2 years.
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown
    I am scheduled to take the MCAT in March, however I have scored 507, 511 and 514 on the 3 AMCAS practice tests each taken a month apart with studying in between (And still 5 months left for teh real deal...)
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US)
    Washington State resident
  4. Ethnicity and/or race
    I am White.
  5. Undergraduate institution or category
    Associates in Science Health and Laboratory sciences from The George Washington University (Military coursework)
    Will graduate from Eastern Washington University with a Major in Biotech and a minor in chemistry (2020 graduation).
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
    I have worked full time as a Medical Laboratory technician several thousand hours in rural and reference laboratories and currently work part time as the laboratory manager for a urology clinic. Work asside, I have also volunteered to do morning phlebotomy rounds at a military hospital on numerous occations and volunteered to draw blood at the Fort Lewis blood donations center.
  7. Research experience and productivity
    Several hundred hours of clinically relevent research on two separate projects: monitoring simulations of protein folding as a research assistant and viability of bacteriophages for use in profilactic care helping design project. Both were presented as posters at my school sympossium, one I went to NCUR.
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented
    Urology/oncology: 70 hours Pathology: 8 hours Internal Medcine: 16 hours Rural family Medicine in an EM/IM/ICU setting: 32 hours
  9. Non-clinical volunteering
    8 hours volunteering for Eastern Washington Youth Science Bowl, 5 years as an ACE advocate for my reserve unit, 3 years as a travel pay aid for my reserve unit.
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
    6 years in the Army reserve (2 of which were Active duty for training), Board of officers for EWU Pre-Med club for 2 years.
  11. Relevant honors or awards
    2 years on EWU Dean's List, Distinguished Honor Graduate for my Basic Leadership Course for promotion to sergeant in the Army. Army Achievement medal for exceeding course standards and recievinglab tech certification from teh American society for Clinical Pathology
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important
    I am a father to a toddler and a first generation college student.

In no particular order, my current school list is as follows:
    1. Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth
    2. University of Washington School of Medicine
    3. Albany Medical College
    4. University of Colorado School of Medicine
    5. Ohio State University College of Medicine
    6. Washington State University Elson S. Floyd College of Medicine
    7. Oregon Health & Science University School of Medicine
    8. Keck School of Medicine of the University of Southern California
    9. Stanford University School of Medicine
    10. Tufts University School of Medicine
    11. Eastern Virginia Medical School
    12. University of Vermont College of Medicine
    13. Frank H. Netter MD School of Medicine at Quinnipiac University
    14. Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Without the MCAT we would only be speculating. Your list could be ok (or awful) and we wouldn't really know.
A list that has both HMS and Penn State is definitely a work in progress... The direction will become more clear when the MCAT is available!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Without the MCAT we would only be speculating. Your list could be ok (or awful) and we wouldn't really know.
A list that has both HMS and Penn State is definitely a work in progress... The direction will become more clear when the MCAT is available!
Are the AMCAS practics tests not of any value for MCAT prediction?

Members don't see this ad :)
Although, thank you. I will come back in May then, I suppose. once I get the scores back.

Indeed I have. I did all three of them a month apart and will now spend the next 5 months doing other FL's I can find!
For others who may be reading this, the AAMC FL's are a rare and precious resource. Use them judiciously. Save at least one of them for a pre-exam assessment.

Reactions: 3 users
For others who may be reading this, the AAMC FL's are a rare and precious resource. Use them judiciously. Save at least one of them for a pre-exam assessment.
I saved the unscored one for a week before the exam. I don't remember my logic...but it was there somewhere...

Also, I removed Harvard. That shouldn't have been there.

Depending on how your MCAT goes, HMS probably should be on there, IMO.

First generation college student, father, veteran - you will contribute a very different perspective of the world than most of your future classmates. Plus you have research and clinical experience to boot.

Just don't screw up the MCAT and you're golden.

Depending on how your MCAT goes, HMS probably should be on there, IMO.

First generation college student, father, veteran - you will contribute a very different perspective of the world than most of your future classmates. Plus you have research and clinical experience to boot.

Just don't screw up the MCAT and you're golden.
And HMS is back on there

• Love