This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maingram

Reaction score
Hi WAMC? I graduated with a BS in Biomedical Engineering in 2017.
GPA: 3.13 (fumbled freshman year but made deans list last couple semesters with GPAs of 3.6+ in 300 - 500 level bioengineering/science courses)
MCAT: 503 (first take 490)
Been working in tech consulting since graduation and volunteered with 3 non profits through work
Over 40+ hours volunteering in hospital emergency dept.
Recently began shadowing a couple doctors

Applied for Fall 2020 so my application doesn't show all of my voluneteer/shadow experience. Worried I'm not as competitive as most other applicants.

Recieved a few rejections already.
Waiting to hear back from a few D.O. programs: ICOM, PCOM, PCOM (Georgia), Western U. CHSU, NYITCOM, LECOM, LUCOM, KCOM
Waiting to hear back from a few M.D. programs: SUNY Downstate, SUNY Upstate, Howard U

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi WAMC? I graduated with a BS in Biomedical Engineering in 2017.
GPA: 3.13 (fumbled freshman year but made deans list last couple semesters with GPAs of 3.6+ in 300 - 500 level bioengineering/science courses)
MCAT: 503 (first take 490)
Been working in tech consulting since graduation and volunteered with 3 non profits through work
Over 40+ hours volunteering in hospital emergency dept.
Recently began shadowing a couple doctors

Applied for Fall 2020 so my application doesn't show all of my voluneteer/shadow experience. Worried I'm not as competitive as most other applicants.

Recieved a few rejections already.
Waiting to hear back from a few D.O. programs: ICOM, PCOM, PCOM (Georgia), Western U. CHSU, NYITCOM, LECOM, LUCOM, KCOM
Waiting to hear back from a few M.D. programs: SUNY Downstate, SUNY Upstate, Howard U
How recently did you shadow physicians? Before or after you sent in your applications?

You're getting rejected in all likelihood because the number of clinical experience hours and shadowing is too small compared to the average applicant (much less average matriculant)… MD or DO.

There's probably more than what you have described for us to also comment on, but off the top, that's what I'm guessing is getting you rejections.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I live in Northern VA. I have yet to receive interviews only Rejections or emails stating my application is pretty much on the back burner as the committee is doing their review.

How recently did you shadow physicians? Before or after you sent in your applications?

You're getting rejected in all likelihood because the number of clinical experience hours and shadowing is too small compared to the average applicant (much less average matriculant)… MD or DO.

There's probably more than what you have described for us to also comment on, but off the top, that's what I'm guessing is getting you rejections.

I started ED clinical volunteering late summer 2019, I actually have 70 hrs not 40. But at the time of my application it was probably around 20. Also hadn’t shadowed any physicians at that time.

Also on my apps I noted an 8hr hospice training session I attended in the summer to become a hospice volunteer.

I started ED clinical volunteering late summer 2019, I actually have 70 hrs not 40. But at the time of my application it was probably around 20. Also hadn’t shadowed any physicians at that time.

Also on my apps I noted an 8hr hospice training session I attended in the summer to become a hospice volunteer.
How many volunteer hours do you currently have?

Best chances are at new DO schools if you plan to apply again in the 2020-21 cycle. Don't bother applying MD because your stats are far too low. What is your science GPA?

Before you reapply you need 50 hours of physician shadowing (including primary care) and 200 hours of clinical volunteering. When you reach those hours I suggest applying to these schools:
LECOM (all schools)
LUCOM
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
LMU-DCOM
PCOM Georgia and South Georgia
ACOM
WCU-COM
ARCOM
NYIT- Arkansas
UIWSOM
BCOM
ICOM
CHSU-COM
ATSU-SOMA

Are you UIM? If not Howard was a waste of money. You stated that you are worried that you are not as competitive as most other applicants. Truth is, you aren’t any where near competitive. Your stats are very low and your ECs are almost nonexistent. Did you apply with both MCAT scores or just the 490? Don’t reapply until you fix the gaping holes in your application. Do you have anyone that can help you and advise you in the process?