(Non-Trad) What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

bumnaste

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
With help and encouragement from some posters I was able to take the prereq classes at a community college to start my journey to med school. I have a bachelor's in fine art w/ 3.4 gpa which is low, but that was before I decided I wanted to go to med school. I have a 4.0 science gpa so far, I still need to take organic chem. I have over 2 years experience in the Emergency room as a tech, and volunteered at my local first aid for 2 years as an EMT as well. I also am shadowing ortho at my hospital from time to time. I am studying for my MCAT now and shooting for 518. It will be hard since I am studying biochem and behavior sciences part on my own. I am 28 and asian. I am excited about the application process, but also nervous since I am on a different boat than the majority population so I feel everything I do is different than my counterparts. My questions are: What are my chances as of now so I know where I am, How did you study for sections on the MCATs that you didnt take classes for, How do you calculate the total gpa with the undergrad nonsciences and sciences. (ex. do science classes weigh more in gpa)
Lastly, what kind of schools can I apply to? are top tier schools within reach? or don't even think about it?
thanks guys!
 
Last edited: