Non-trad without BS/BA degree, has PharmD -> MD goals

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

genmaicha

Career changer, trying to get into MD/DO school
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello there, I graduated from pharmacy school five years ago. I do not have a BS/BA, the PharmD counts against me because it's considered a professional degree. I cannot apply for post-bacc or DO programs. I can apply to MD programs, but they will factor in all of my grades.

I have not taken the MCAT yet. I have spoken to two advisors, suggested for a non-trad, MCAT >> GPA. Is this true? I am unsure. I have received poor advice through the years so I am wary.

I would appreciate it if you could give me feedback on the following. I am reading the AMCAS PDF file and I wanted to clarify:

1) For undergrad NC (no credit), CR (credit) courses, it is counted as a "F" = 0.0 for MD schools; for DO schools it is not counted towards GPA?

2) For MD schools, because all credits count towards the GPA, what is the consensus on retaking 2 years worth of courses to boost a BCPM GPA by 0.6 (ending with a ~2.7?)?

3) I am considering getting a BS degree so that I could apply to DO schools. This may take 3-4 years of time. Just counting the BCPM credits (because I won't know what courses I'm taking for the BS degree) - I would end up with a ~2.99. If the NC/CR courses are not counted, my BCPM would end up with ~3.51.

Overall GPA in any scenario is about a 3.01-3.08 right now (without factoring the BS degree courses). I used to volunteer, but stopped a couple years ago.

Concerns: affordability, ability/confidence, age/ethnicity (early 30s, Asian), time, family (would like to have children), considering foreign med schools (Canada, Caribbean, England)

Thanks for reading any feedback is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I can't answer your academic advising questions. I'm just curious if you've run the numbers on lost income. Median salary for pharmacists last year was over 120k. If you have to re-do some undergrad, you're looking at 7 years of lost income, then 3 more of 1/2 income (assuming a 60k residency by then). That's over a million dollar swing, not factoring in retirement or loans (loans suck).

Just curious. Life is short and money is important-ish.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
can I ask why you're motivated to take this journey to med school?

it's not true that MCAT >> GPA. both are incredibly important, not to mention clinical exposure and volunteering etc. your situation isn't impossible, but it'll be an uphill battle the entire way. have you shadowed or gained enough clinical exposure to be sure that this is the path you want?