Non Trad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Startingover123

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Career changer here. Went back to school to take preqs. Currently I’m at 3.4 cumulative, 3.4 sgpa, and 3.58 bcp. Is bcp most important? Can I get into schools with a 3.4 cgpa and sgpa? I have not taken the Dat but scoring 21 plus. I’m from IL so I would either like to go to midwestern or UIC. I also have family in Maine so une would on the table as well. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

3.4 gpa is possible, going to need a good DAT score to offset, but most will say come back after DAT is taken for better assessment. Keep truckin' on the grades, shadowing, volunteering, research etc. Applying to instate = good. Private is less competitive but $$$. Blanket application to many schools. Just get in and don't focus to much on location. Goal is DDS/DMD. Good luck!

3.4 gpa is possible, going to need a good DAT score to offset, but most will say come back after DAT is taken for better assessment. Keep truckin' on the grades, shadowing, volunteering, research etc. Applying to instate = good. Private is less competitive but $$$. Blanket application to many schools. Just get in and don't focus to much on location. Goal is DDS/DMD. Good luck!
Thank you. What would you say I need on the DAT?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is a3.4 gpa that bad? Seems to be close to the averages at a lot of private schools.

Obviously do as well as you can. 20 anything is decent to me, but it really depends on where you are applying. 3.4 is not bad but consider who you are going up against. Can you get in somewhere? Sure, but apply smart and talk with the programs that you are interested.

Reactions: 1 user
Obviously do as well as you can. 20 anything is decent to me, but it really depends on where you are applying. 3.4 is not bad but consider who you are going up against. Can you get in somewhere? Sure, but apply smart and talk with the programs that you are interested.
Obviously easier said than done but do you think a 22 would put me in a good spot?

If you want me to say a number, sure 22 is good i am guessing it is ~95 percentile or better. Better than I scored (20AA), albeit that was in 2010. Will that alone get you in...probably not. Look at your whole package. Everyone has different strengths and weaknesses and YOU need to promote YOU. Why should they take you over someone that has say a 3.6 and the same DAT score? Do you have a personal struggle you overcame to get where you are now? Are you a minority? I'm saying that if you score in the twenties, keep increasing your grades, have a good personal statement, and solid LORs there is no reason why you should not receive interviews at schools. If you apply to well known competitive programs you probably won't? Be smart, do your research and apply to schools you have a good shot at. These may not be your top picks, but guess what, a dentist is a dentist at the end of the day, and thats the goal right?

Reactions: 1 users