Non traditional CPA applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin Sorbo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello friends!

I am a CPA and have been working for 10 years in the field. As of late, the routine has begun to make me feel like I should be doing something to help others. My wife is a fourth year med student and it has struck home that it is the route I would like to go. My predicament is my GPA. In undergrad, I had a very tough first year and it drug down my GPA to an embarrassing level. I later got a masters degree with a Very respectable GPA. To what extent would an admissions council look to my graduate work as opposed to my undergraduate work? Also, do admissions councils consider the work experience as a part of non-traditional applications? My work experience has been working for a well-known prestigious accounting firm.

Members don't see this ad.

Your graduate degree and GPA will not offset a low undergrad GPA. Depending on how low it is, you will have to put in one or more years taking undergrad science courses getting A's to demonstrate you are a new man, so to speak. Work experience is a positive, but again it won't offset a low GPA or MCAT. Lots of people have started from where you are and gone on to become doctors. You can do it too, but it's a lot of work and there are no shortcuts.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.