Non-traditional post-bacc help (non science background)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopefully2019

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

As the title states, I am a non-traditional student and I am hoping to apply to medical school (MD and DO) in 2019. I am 26, a URM, a former high school English teacher (3 years in a foreign country).

I have a cGPA of 3.6something and have only completed one science class so far (Gen Chem I-B+, Lab-B) and that was 7 years ago. I am currently taking Applied Micro and Biology I (A's in both) and will complete them in May.

Looking at the posts has left me completely overwhelmed and I do not know where to start. This summer I was thinking about taking Chem 1/2 (do not remember a single thing about Chem, unfortunately).

However, I don't really know where to go from there in order to finish my prerequisites up in the most efficient way. I was offered a slot in a formal post-bacc, but would rather save money at the state college.

Options would be to take Physics and Organic together next year, but would my application be hindered with only one sequence of Bio? General II can only be taken in the Spring or Summer terms.

Also, I have heard Biochem is increasingly important? I have only taken one math class as well...

Any help would be great as I am completely lost!
Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Almost no med schools require a math course, but some recommend it. If I were you, I would get gen chem out of the way ASAP since you need to take these before o-chem and you generally need o-chem done before taking biochem. Biochem isn't required by most MD programs, but a lot of DO schools require it. Either way, I've heard it helps a lot when taking the MCAT.

The prereqs generally include: BIO 1 and 2, CHEM 1 and 2, PHYS 1 and 2, ENGL 1 and 2, and a mix of ochem and/or biochem. Go get 'em!

Reactions: 1 users
I just did my DIY post-bac in a local community college in 1 year. I spread out Gen Chem I & II, Physics (non-calculus based) I & II, English I, Calculus I, Gen Bio I & II in two semester. Then, I took Orgo I & II in just one summer, which was super crazy, and I do not recommend other people to do so unless you know exactly what you are signing up for. However, in retrospect, I wish I could have finished at least 1 Biochem before I took MCAT. I self-taught all the contents and I got a fine score (129), but it would have made all the preps easier if I have done well with a formal course. The reason I did it this way was because I only gave myself a year. I am supporting myself (and partially my family) with my savings. It is a more financially feasible option for me.

Reactions: 1 users