non-traditional pre-dental student in need of advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nmarie1821

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I graduated from college back in 2012 with a degree in Journalism and minor in English. After working in PR I realized it wasn't the career for me and ended up working at a dental office. After about a year, I decided I wanted to pursue a career in dentistry. It is completely opposite from my background, and in college the only science courses I took were Bio 100 and Bio 100L. After doing some research, I decided to go back to my alma mater through its open university program. I read that dental schools would rather have you take classes at a 4 year university rather than at a cc..But here's the problem--as an open university student, it is very hard for me to register for classes and take a full load since the classes are impacted and I am considered "last priority." Last fall I tried to register for three classes and only got into one. The spring semester just began, and again, I was only able to get into one class. I work full-time but I am willing to quit my jobs to take on a full semester of classes. Can anyone advise if taking all my science pre-reqs at a cc is a good idea? It seems that is the only way I'll be able to satisfy my pre-reqs in a reasonable amount of time.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Some schools will not accept CC credit for prereqs, such as Tufts, or will limit the number of credit hours they accept. Is there another university nearby you? Can you talk to an advisor about seeing if you can raise your priority? I totally get that struggle though. I was in the Honors College so I received first priority along with student athletes. Most of my friends weren't either and they struggled so much to get the classes they needed.

You could always sign up for a second degree. I did this at my school and came in with the priority of a senior. Always got the classes I wanted when I wanted them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have the same problem . I already took CHM 1 ,2, A&P 1,2 IN CC but then I realize that the dental school that I'm planning to go (UMKC) accept a limited credit hours from cc so would say taking pre-reqs in 4 years university will increase your chances in different schools. OR you can check with a specific dental school and work on their pre-reqs because some school don't has limitation from cc

It depends on the university. If you college is huge you may have to apply and do a second bachelors which is really the same thing as what you are doing now. You will actually get priority over everyone else.

Do a formal postbacc

Reactions: 1 users