Non traditional student applying this cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TCU2011

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so I was looking for suggestions and feedback to see what my chances are of getting accepted to dental school this cycle (1st attempt).

Background: wanted to go into the aviation field right out of high school, pursued that route and ended up with a BS in professional aeronautics degree cum. GPA = 3.55 and have since decided to go back to school to pursue a dentistry career. My cousin is a dentist and I was always interested in the field just didn't think it was what I wanted to do initially.

Current: Have since gone back to school, currently at TCU but here is where my problem is after a semester at TCU my cum GPA is now 3.43 not fantastic, but not horrible and my science GPA is 2.77 do I have a chance of getting in this cycle if I do well on my DAT? Plan on taking it in May and am already studying! I took part in a medical mission trip to Mexico this past November and have been shadowing and volunteering at a local children’s hospital.

Have 2 dentists that said they will gladly write LOR for me that graduated from UTHSC-SA (my first choice)

Sorry the post is so long guys just let me know what you all think...any suggestions are welcome!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

my cum GPA is now 3.43 not fantastic, but not horrible and my science GPA is 2.77 do I have a chance of getting in this cycle if I do well on my DAT? Plan on taking it in May and am already studying!

Exactly what courses make up your science GPA?

Even with a high total science score on the DAT, you will face some major problems with that GPA, it is just too low for most schools.

yes, unfortunately you're going to have a huge problem, chances slim to none. If you can get that science gpa up to a 3.0 and did 21, 22+ on the dat, you would have a much better chance. also, quick question about your ec's -- a medical mission trip and volunteering at a children's hospital -- is there anything dentistry related in there? keep working hard! get there!

Members don't see this ad :)
2.77 is too low. Save your money and raise your gpa up significantly and apply in two years.

Well two things hurt my science GPA really bad...Got a D in Pre-Calculus class I took my freshman year of college that I didn't have to take so I'm upset about that one and I got a D in O Chem I (retaking this fall) if it weren't for those 2 my science would be a 3.03 right now.

As far as ec's yes the medical mission trip was more of a "dental" mission trip, we set up a clinic in one of the orphanages there in Mexico and worked on the kids teeth for 3 days. And obviously all of my shadowing is in the dental field.

Your sci. GPA is way too low for any of the three Texas schools. You can apply to all three this year and see what happens but have realistic expectations of the outcome.

I would personally not apply with a 2.7 science GPA. In my opinion, science GPA is the most important GPA number for applying.

How many science credits do you have to give you that 2.7? The reason I ask is, if the credits are still low, you can easily fix it. Say you have a 2.7 GPA from 30 credits. Okay no problem, if you take another 30 credits and 4.0 them, you will raise your science GPA to 3.35 (not great, but ALOT better than 2.7)

TCU- I am in a very similar situation to you. I graduated a couple years ago with a degree in aviation. I worked as a A&P for a year, then a pilot for a year. Got laid off last June and decided the aviation thing isn't looking to promising, so I went back to school for my pre-reqs. Its good to hear another pilot in my same situation

Anyway, when you retake Ochem 1, does your school allow the new grade to cancel the D you got before, or do they average them out. If they cancel it, that may be a really good way to get your science GPA up quickly... retake ochem and pre-calc then apply.

If nothing else, you have some great life experience, so apply to your instate schools this cycle and see what happens. I have a friend who has an overall GPA of 2.9 and got into school this last cycle. I'll guarantee you one thing, you won't get in if you don't apply.

Good luck

My science GPA is from 38 credits at this point...if I do well in my classes this semester and the 2 I'm taking during summer my science GPA will be a 2.98 (so should I apply early or after my summer courses this summer?) Additionally, I still need to take 22 hrs (all BIOL and 1 CHEM) along with a few core classes even after this summer which will hopefully boost it up fairly nicely.

Also, yes TCU does replace the grade for my GPA calculation at TCU however, when transcripts are sent to TMDSAS they will avg. the two I believe.

A lot of industries are going through very tough times right now including the aviation industry; I know it made me get my priorities straight quick!

TCU- I am in a very similar situation to you. I graduated a couple years ago with a degree in aviation. I worked as a A&P for a year, then a pilot for a year. Got laid off last June and decided the aviation thing isn't looking to promising, so I went back to school for my pre-reqs. Its good to hear another pilot in my same situation

Anyway, when you retake Ochem 1, does your school allow the new grade to cancel the D you got before, or do they average them out. If they cancel it, that may be a really good way to get your science GPA up quickly... retake ochem and pre-calc then apply.

If nothing else, you have some great life experience, so apply to your instate schools this cycle and see what happens. I have a friend who has an overall GPA of 2.9 and got into school this last cycle. I'll guarantee you one thing, you won't get in if you don't apply.

Good luck
polkadds ~ Most places they average the two classes. Say you got 2.0 the first time, and 4.0 the 2nd time, they average the two :( so its 3.0

One more suggestion is, I don't think its a good idea to tell them you got laid off from your pilot job and thats when you decided you wanted to shoot for dentistry. Make it a little more dramatic, you don't want them to think the only reason ur going for DS is because you lost your previous job and just wanted to land a job in healthcare that ALWAYS guarantees you a position

My science GPA is from 38 credits at this point...if I do well in my classes this semester and the 2 I'm taking during summer my science GPA will be a 2.98 (so should I apply early or after my summer courses this summer?) Additionally, I still need to take 22 hrs (all BIOL and 1 CHEM) along with a few core classes even after this summer which will hopefully boost it up fairly nicely.

Also, yes TCU does replace the grade for my GPA calculation at TCU however, when transcripts are sent to TMDSAS they will avg. the two I believe.

A lot of industries are going through very tough times right now including the aviation industry; I know it made me get my priorities straight quick!
TCU2011 ~ again this is just my opinion, but a sub 3.0 science GPA might not do it.... I mean if your rocking 22+ on the TS of the DAT, yeh you'll have a chance, but still, science GPA is looked upon pretty heavily. Its up to you if you want to put thousands of dollars in the application cycle.

Again, I'll give you same advice I gave polkadds, switching to healthcare because of "lot of industries are going through very tough times right now including the aviation industry" is just not good enough reason to push for DS. Adcoms like to see students, esspecially non-traditional older folks like us (i am non trad myself) care about healthcare, something other than career or monetary gains helped push us into the field.

One more thing I forgot to say is, when I decided to go for DS, it was back in 2006. My initial undergrad GPA was 3.0 overall and 3.1 science (very similar to your numbers)

I could have applied in 2007, 2008, or even 2009, but I didn't. I wanted to LINE UP EVERYTHING. In those years, I took 54 credits in post-bacc and 4.0 all of them. My overall GPA is now touching 3.3 and my science is (haven't calculated it) 3.6-3.7. Now I am finally ready to apply, I will apply this summer.

The point I am trying to make is, just becuase you want dental school it DOESN'T mean you have to apply right away, you need time to put and fix everything together. Sure it took me 3.5 years, many it takes them only 1.5-2.5 years, but my first 2 years I was working fulltime so it just wan't possible to do it any faster.

Good luck to ya