Non-traditional Student Needs All of the Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

closetfemme

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
First off, my apologies if this post is redundant and my questions have already been answered elsewhere.

About me: interested in a career in dentistry, graduated hs 13 years ago and have never attended college. I live in a major city and my community college has dual admissions and other transfer agreements with many four-year institutions, one of which has both a pre-dental program and a dental school.

My concerns: I'm turning 31 in two months and don't want to spend a million years in undergrad but I also don't want to major in bio or chemistry (would prefer to major in psych). I've learned all about the idea of one's major not mattering as long as prereqs are hit, but it seems impossible to hit the necessary pre-dental prereqs AND the required psych classes in the same semester(s).

My questions: Do most non-science majors spend more than four years in school to hit all the prereqs? Can I take classes out of order (e.g., focus on the pre-dental prereqs in the fall and spring semesters while in cc and hit the prereqs for my major in the summer)? Or am I better off just majoring in bio (although, because I've been out of school for so long, my cc requires two preliminary bio/math classes that don't count toward an aa degree so, if I'm looking at more than four years either way, is it best to just go the psych route after all)?

Thanks in advance for any info. I feel like an absolute dunce and am in awe of teenagers who figure these processes out.

Members don't see this ad.

First of all, congrats on deciding to go to college! Secondly, don't be in awe of us, we don't know what we're doing either lol. I know a couple of psych/non-science majors who have completed prereqs in 4 years and have great applications. That does however probably mean taking on a heavier courseload or taking summer courses if you want to finish in time. Can you handle such a heavy workload? I've met some "real-life adults" who came back to college and their biggest issue was juggling time constraints. Regardless of your path, it'll be a test of commitment