Non-traditional student "resume." How would I fare?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tokunoren

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

For those who are fairly familiar with the general admissions process, how would I fare in getting admitted to dental school- I know it's dependent on where I apply- with the following academic background. I'd be a non-traditional student (31 yrs old and work in Accounting/Finance). I'm working full-time, but am looking to start my prereqs Summer 2013 and finishing Summer 2014; I'll apply for dental school admissions for Fall 2014. Hypothetically, let's say I finish my prereqs with a 3.5 gpa and get an above average DAT score:

GA State Univ (BBA in Accounting and Finance): Overall: 2.7gpa; Major: 3.2 gpa
GA State Univ (Master of Accountancy): 3.2 gpa
Babson College (MBA): 3.3 gpa
Certified Public Accountant in GA

Light on volunteer work and obviously, haven't done any shadowing. Any idea on how'd I'd compare to a more "traditional" student?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,

For those who are fairly familiar with the general admissions process, how would I fare in getting admitted to dental school- I know it's dependent on where I apply- with the following academic background. I'd be a non-traditional student (31 yrs old and work in Accounting/Finance). I'm working full-time, but am looking to start my prereqs Summer 2013 and finishing Summer 2014; I'll apply for dental school admissions for Fall 2014. Hypothetically, let's say I finish my prereqs with a 3.5 gpa and get an above average DAT score:

GA State Univ (BBA in Accounting and Finance): Overall: 2.7gpa; Major: 3.2 gpa
GA State Univ (Master of Accountancy): 3.2 gpa
Babson College (MBA): 3.3 gpa
Certified Public Accountant in GA

Light on volunteer work and obviously, haven't done any shadowing. Any idea on how'd I'd compare to a more "traditional" student?

You're racking up the degrees/certs! haha. With 0 prereqs done and no DAT to speak of, making any sort of assessment will be impossible. Check out how many credits you need to get your undergrad GPA above a 3.0, and start there. Despite undergrad being so far in the past, unfortunately those numbers matter. The general consensus here is if you're non-trad and >3.0, there is still a chance. Given that you're a non-science undergrad major, getting your science GPA and BCP GPA up above 3.5 shouldn't be too much of an uphill battle, given a solid performance in the requisite coursework.

Stick with the process, starting from scratch and finishing all the pre-reqs, upper level bios, shadowing, volunteering, etc, etc is taxing. But I think if you tackle it one step at a time and don't get too far ahead of yourself, it's doable. Best of luck, feel free to PM me with any other questions - I'm on the tail end of a non-trad path, planning to apply in June.

PS- I assume you'll be applying in the Summer of 2014? Meaning you'll be applying for Fall 2015 admission, not 2014.

I'm also a non-traditional student w/ a B.B.A. and I feel that a diverse background helps your application. In order to be competitive you should strive for a 3.5+ GPA for your science prerequisites and the higher you score on the DAT, the better. This will demonstrate your ability to master scientific coursework.

Many traditional students that have not devoted the time to a career that you have will likely have more job shadowing, volunteer, or research hours, but that's OK. Get involved with these activities (especially shadowing) early and often because it will help you determine if dentistry really is for you. Also, be sure to check with the schools that you plan on applying to because some credits expire after x years. If it's been 10 years since you've had an english comp class, it may need to be retaken.

Good Luck

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a post bach non traditional license holding professional in another profession and just got in for class of 2017. My dreams are coming true but let me tell you its been a long arduous road. The most difficult part has probably not been the academics but rather feeling isolated because of my age (mid 30s) makes returning to undergrad rather awkward at times.

From where you are sitting it took me 3 years to get from there to where I'm at presently (start d school this August) for a total of 3.5 years preparing by way of hard sciences and DAT basically 24/7.

It took me 2 full years to prep adequately for the DAT. Because of the logistics of semesters, while it is possible to be on afterburners and get the prereqs prior to the DAT done in less than 2 years: its very unrealistic. The brain needs time to make all the connections while learning all the new material. Initially I had no idea so I assumed I could do it in 1 year.

Bluntly: your plan sounds very unrealistic. Chart a realistic course. More like:

year 1 prep:
semester 1 bio I and gen chem Id
semester 2 bio II and gen chem II
on the side build up volunteer and shadowing experience in the field of dentistry, etc (preparatory to filling d school application out and looking good)

year 2 prep:
semester 1 organic chem I and physics I
semester 2 organic chem II and physics II
on the side build up volunteer and shadowing experience in the field of dentistry, etc (preparatory to filling d school application out and looking good)

take DAT at this point

year 3:
summer and fall" shepherd application through acceptance process
take 'extras', especially prereqs in the way of biochem, microbiology, anatomy, genetics, etc.

BUT THERE ARE SOME PEOPLE OUT THERE WHO POSSESS AND EXCEPTIONALLY ADAPTIVE BRAIN. Maybe you are one of the very few who can master very difficult topics in relatively short amounts of time...if so go for it in 1 year. Good Luck:luck:

Agree with Bobby Fisher, a 1-year plan is unrealistic, especially if you are still working as an accountant. If you quit your job and go to school full-time, maybe. Your chemistries have to be taken in succession, so 4 semesters minimum. You could do summer-fall-spring-summer and finish in one year, but taking chemistry with a lab in the summer does not mesh with a standard workday. Don't underestimate the time involved. Almost all of the science prereqs include a lab, and although it's only worth one credit-hour, it usually takes up an inordinate amount of time. I am a full-time engineer and the most I was able to handle was 8 credit hours (two lectures and two labs), and I can't say that my work didn't suffer.

The timeline that Bobby lined out is realistic and puts you at matriculation in Fall 2016, not 2014. In order to start dental school in Fall 2014 you would have to apply this summer, not possible in your situation. I'm not trying to discourage you, just want you to know what you're signing up for. I would recommend starting off slow. Do some shadowing this spring and take one class over the summer to make sure that you can see yourself in the profession and getting through the 35-40 credit hours of science classes you'll need to apply.

Having said all that, if you are sure that this is what you want to do, don't let anyone stop you. You can definitely do it. I started down this path a few years ago and am much older than you, accepted to start this fall. I am giving up a successful engineering career because I want to work with people on a more personal level and feel good about the work I do every day. Unless I happen to become a very successful dentist, this is not a good financial decision. As someone in accounting/finance, you should really look at the numbers and make sure it is worth it to you.

I'm a post bach non traditional license holding professional in another profession and just got in for class of 2017. My dreams are coming true but let me tell you its been a long arduous road. The most difficult part has probably not been the academics but rather feeling isolated because of my age (mid 30s) makes returning to undergrad rather awkward at times.

From where you are sitting it took me 3 years to get from there to where I'm at presently (start d school this August) for a total of 3.5 years preparing by way of hard sciences and DAT basically 24/7.

It took me 2 full years to prep adequately for the DAT. Because of the logistics of semesters, while it is possible to be on afterburners and get the prereqs prior to the DAT done in less than 2 years: its very unrealistic. The brain needs time to make all the connections while learning all the new material. Initially I had no idea so I assumed I could do it in 1 year.

Bluntly: your plan sounds very unrealistic. Chart a realistic course. More like:

year 1 prep:

year 2 prep:

take DAT at this point

year 3:
take 'extras', especially prereqs in the way of biochem, microbiology, anatomy, genetics, etc.

BUT THERE ARE SOME PEOPLE OUT THERE WHO POSSESS AND EXCEPTIONALLY ADAPTIVE BRAIN. Maybe you are one of the very few who can master very difficult topics in relatively short amounts of time...if so go for it in 1 year. Good Luck:luck:

This is great advice! :thumbup:

Not to mention, many people will take 4-8 weeks and study for the DAT full-time 5-8 hours a day... something you also need to take into consideration.

It's good to read your story Bobby F. Thanks for sharing.

I do want to mention that don't forget physic 1&2 for the 1st year or fill it in somehow before applying.

year 1 prep:

year 2 prep:

take DAT at this point

year 3:

Thanks for the advice and being direct all!! Needed some help in becoming more realistic about the time commitment and setting my expectations.

Here is my plan. I'm a non-trad in a sense (but only 24, so I'm not that removed) with a bachelor's/master's in music. I am doing the following while working about 30 hours a week, volunteering, shadowing, mostly on the weekend and weeknights. It has been hard, but definitely worth it.

Summer 2012: Chem 1/2
Fall 2012: OChem, Bio 1, Statistics
Spring 2013: Ochem 2, Bio 2, Physics 1, DAT Prep
Summer 2013: Take DAT, Apply, Phys 2, Microbio
Fall 2013: Interviews, Biochem (end of prereqs) and upper level sciences
Spring 2013: More upper level bio if I feel it is needed, but there is a strong chance I will be able to take this semester off and just work/relax before dschool. The school I want to go to starts in June, so this would be an excellent break!

Having to worry about bills and family is really hard, but you seem smart and well put together, so anything is doable.

I am a post-bac student (27) and have been accepted by two schools for the class of 2017. Yay! While the road to get there certainly is demanding, the time flies by and it's totally worth it. Before you know it you will be checking classes, volunteering, DAT, and applications off your list. It's important to give the process the time it needs because average science grades aren't going to improve your chances.

I worked full time for at least a year and a half while taking classes at night and on the weekend. Biology and General Chemistry the first year, then Organic Chemistry and Physics the second year. This summer I devoted 6 weeks to intense DAT studying, which was painful but paid off with a great score. I applied by early September and was granted two interviews this past fall. In the meantime, I took extra classes, including Anatomy and Biochem. All in all it will be just about 3 years from starting my post-bac classes to dental school orientation. I think any faster (with work and a life) and I would have burnt out before the show even begins.

In the past year I found two organizations where I could volunteer and do some assisting: one a homeless shelter with a clinic and another a job placement organization for the homeless with a clinic. These are a great way to get exposure to populations that don't have access to dental care, which is a huge issue in dentistry. You are also volunteering with local dentists that will most likely invite you to visit their private offices and offer letters of recommendation. I'd say figure out your classes first and how much time you need to devote to get that A, then figure out where volunteering fits in later. I don't have hundreds of hours of volunteering and shadowing - maybe a hundred all combined. What's necessary is consistent, quality volunteering that really teaches you something about dentistry that you can describe in your personal statement and to your interviewers.

So that's how I made it. Hard work for a couple of years and finding the right places to volunteer and the right people to shadow.

On another note, I do know someone that has a 2-point-something undergrad GPA and is having trouble getting into medical school. It seems crazy because his career since graduating has been working in the operating room with doctors on spinal surgeries. He has more experience and exposure than the majority of applicants. His post-bac grades are good, not all As. Unfortunately, admissions people just can't see past his undergrad GPA and are recommending that he get a masters degree to improve his chances. I have heard this advice at pre-dental events at dental schools as well, So, grades do matter a lot, but I think that even though your undergrad grades are lower than usual, you do have the MBA and that will make a huge difference. Basically, you have already done what they would have recommended. To be sure, contact the schools you are interested in and ask them what they think and what they expect to see in your post-bac education.

Good luck!

Thanks Darling DDS et al. Very inspirational and practical advice. Yeah, undergrad GPA sucked; unfortunately, I was one of those people who didn't gain focus until maybe my Junior year of undergrad. But right now, like you said, instead of looking at the big picture and overwhelming myself, I'll take the first step and take my Bio I and Chem I this summer. Thanks again!!

Hey, I was in the same situation as you. I had did my undergrad in business and wanted to switch to the health field. I wanted to apply in one year. I had everything mapped out. However, it is more involved then I had imagined. Also, classes do get filled up at schools. There might not be seats at the class you want and all of a sudden, you are delayed a semester. It could be hard to find a place to get an internship/research/volunteer. It took me three years to finish everything and be able to apply.

Also, it is better to take your time and do things right so you can get into the school of your choice.