non traditional student seeking advices.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

triangold

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everybody,

I am an Occupational Therapist, and have a master degree, and I would like to improve my ability to serve people, and decided that a career in dentistry will be fulfilling.

However, due to credit overloading (average 22 credit hour a semester) and a almost full time job to sustain finance, I only have a GPA of a little over 3.0 in undergrad. And for my graduate school, my GPA was a little over 3.0 again.

I plan to apply to dental school in about 3 years; however, I will need some insightful advices to lay out a sound plan.

Some specific questions:
1. Is there expiration date for pre-requisites? For example, do I need to have the pre-requisite classes completed within 5 years of application? Because, by the time I apply to dental school some of my classes will be almost a decade old!

2. Is community college a big NO NO? Since I still need to have a full time job, taking classes at community college where evening classes are offered will be more feasible.

3. Do dental schools frown upon appliants who re-take classes? Should I re-take classes to improve GPA?

I am sure I would have a lot more questions as I go, I am glad I found this forum.

Members don't see this ad.

1. decade old does not sound good. Call dental schools and ask them.
2. community college is acceptable but not the best.
3. avoid retake unless your grade is really low. Again ask dental schools.

you may think dental schools tend not not answer your questions, but they will. You have important questions and it is worth trying to contact them directly. That is what I would do........or AT LEAST check their FAQ section.

Your GPA's will be fine after you complete your application. It also looks good that you had a full time job and you are a nontraditional student. Play this to your advantage. By the time you finish your pre-reqs for dental school you will have time to raise the GPA.

Usually, five years is the limit before you have to retake a class becuase it is too old. Just call and ask the dental schools you plan on applying too. As far as community colleges go, I would try to steer clear. It is ok to take basic pre-reqs and general education courses there, but I assume you have already completed those. Try to attend a university if at all possible.

Don't retake a class unless you have to due to it being too old, or you have a very low grade. The new courses you take will allow you to raise your GPA. Then just knock out the DAT. Goodluck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Your GPA's will be fine after you complete your application. It also looks good that you had a full time job and you are a nontraditional student. Play this to your advantage. By the time you finish your pre-reqs for dental school you will have time to raise the GPA.

Usually, five years is the limit before you have to retake a class becuase it is too old. Just call and ask the dental schools you plan on applying too. As far as community colleges go, I would try to steer clear. It is ok to take basic pre-reqs and general education courses there, but I assume you have already completed those. Try to attend a university if at all possible.

Don't retake a class unless you have to due to it being too old, or you have a very low grade. The new courses you take will allow you to raise your GPA. Then just knock out the DAT. Goodluck!

Someone correct me if I am wrong but I thought it was best to complete pre-reqs at a 4-year university, as some schools require that. And as for non pre-reqs, a 4-yr is preferred, but not required.

This thread is helpful: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=527335

Thank you guys for the quick replies.

I read the sticky, and I do know there are several schools who will flat out reject community college grades. I just want to know if anybody knows what other schools' view about community college credits (they are so much affordable too ^_^;)

Allow me to also ask a foolish question. Since all schools can be applied through AADSAS, does it mean pre-requisites are the same through out all dental schools?

I do have most of the pre-requisite classes, and I thought about writing letters to dental schools. But I believe you guys will take me a lot more serious than admission officials who probably won't pay too much attention to somebody who won't even be applying in 3 years.

Thanks again.

Someone correct me if I am wrong but I thought it was best to complete pre-reqs at a 4-year university, as some schools require that. And as for non pre-reqs, a 4-yr is preferred, but not required.

This thread is helpful: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=527335

My bad. I didn't specify what I meant by "pre-reqs" clearly. I meant the general stuff like english, sociology, etc. Science pre-reqs on the other hand yes, four year university would be best.