MD & DO Nontraditional student chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jnhh812

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Having some pre-application anxiety and wanting some unfiltered feedback from people who don't feel obligated to spare my feelings :laugh:

My husband and I both graduated with our Bachelor's degrees in May 2016 (my degree is Psychology, his is Criminal Justice). Immediately after graduation, I started taking my pre-reqs for medical school. I had ZERO heavy science classes, so I had a rocky start (especially with chemistry). I have never gotten anything below a B, but I have very few A's toward by science gpa. My overall gpa is currently 3.47 and my science is 3.1. I have worked as a mental health behavior interventionist for 2.5 years, so I have a lot of direct-client hours. I also work directly under our psychiatrist when he sees patients (I take BP, weight, and get patients checked in).
I have been a court appointed special advocate for children in DHS care for 1.5 years hours and am still active with it, so I'm projecting 500+ volunteer hours by the time I apply in May. I have not taken the MCAT yet, but I have been lightly studying and have bought the Kaplan prep books. I want to go into Psychiatry as a specialty. My school of choice is ARCOM. I live in Arkansas and they give preference to AR residents.

Here's where stuff gets weird:
My husband started doing pre-reqs after me and has caught up to me after taking summer classes, so he will also be applying in May. His overall gpa is 3.7 and his science gpa is 4.0 (he is a science wiz). He works as a chiropractic assistant and does ultrasound therapy and rehabilitative exercises (he is a certified personal trainer). He hasn't taken the MCAT yet either (we both have to finish biochem first). He does not have any steady volunteer hours, but he is signed up to start volunteering at an free educational nature center (he is a strong advocate for being active and being outdoors) He wants to go into PM&R as a specialty. His school of choice is also ARCOM.

what are our chances of both getting into the same med school?
Will being married help or hurt our chances of acceptance?
How many schools should we apply to?
we are not against MD schools, but definitely prefer DO.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated :)

**We will both be 24 when we apply

Members don't see this ad.

If you both have MCAT scores of 500 or higher you will competitive for ARCOM. You could also try NYIT-Arkansas. Your state MD school (U Arkansas) may be worth applying to also if your MCAT scores are 505 or higher. The tuition could be much less than private DO schools. Post your MCAT scores here when available next year and I can give you a more ideas as to which schools you could apply to.