This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PITBULLS

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I am from Northern California and would love to stay in the area. I have been fortunate enough to have interviewed all over the US for several DO schools and loved what these schools had to offer.

That being said, I have been accepted to two schools in NorCal - Touro and Northstate. I didn’t think I would ever be accepted to an MD school, but now that I am, I have to make a decision.

I would like some input as to which educational route you think I should take. With the upcoming merger, I don’t know if DO students are going to suffer in residency placement. And I know people push for MD over DO. Both schools have incredibly high tuition, so I’m not considering cost in this decision. Hearing your thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated (rotation site quality, prestige, opportunities for students, better education, etc.)

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Unless it's a DO that you're absolutely in love with and just despise the MD. I still might choose MD.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Why NOT to apply to CNU (from the wise gyngyn and Med Ed)

1. Their method of selecting the inaugural class was slapdash. They didn't use AMCAS, just faxes and PayPal. This disregard for modern systematic processing makes one wonder if their profit motive was more important than thoughtful consideration.

2. This class ended up with twice as many men as women. The second Class still has more men than women. If their mission precludes thoughtful evaluation of candidates, one wonders what other important elements of education are being missed.

3. A review of faculty credentials STILL reveals a significant lack of scholarship.

4. In a state that is at least 30% Mexican American, they only had a single representative from this group. In the 2nd Class this number has risen to 7, which still is < 10%.

5. They had the chance to enable their students to be able to get federal loans. They refused, and still do so. This says that their profits are more important than their students. Compare this to another new school (UNLV) that covered the bridge to federal loans by offering free tuition.

6. Because of these and other points too numerous to mention, the PD's I know are reluctant to consider these graduates in the same light as other applicants at the moment.

7. The LCME did not really "allow" CNU to have a class starting 2015. The LCME granted preliminary accreditation in June (not unusual), and then CNU took the unprecedented step of seating a class less than three months later. Literally ever other new medical school accredited in the modern era has gone through at least a partial AMCAS cycle. This is why the LCME is apparently pissed off at CNU, and why [students] might end up paying a price later. The only reason for CNU to have done this was to get money flowing in the door ASAP. Again, every other new medical school has used the gap between preliminary accreditation and white coat to shore up the faculty and curriculum.

8. Just compare their mission statement to any other medical school. It’s telling.

EDIT: CNU is the only US MD school I can't recommend going to over a DO school.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
I would recommend the MD program, but I will also caution that it's not a very good/prestigious MD. I know people that go to Drexel and the like and have been questioned during residency interviews about their school. You'll still be better off than getting a DO degree, but don't think this is the ticket to a Harvard residency in plastics

Reactions: 3 users
I am no PD by any means, but if people got questioned for attending a "better" and more established school like Drexel, then imagine how CNU graduates will be seen.

Personally, if a school shows they don't care about their students even before they matriculate (i.e. reasons mentioned above), do you really think they would care about you when you are in the woods? People say medical school wears people down and you get tested in ways you have never been, sometimes even resulting in mental health issues. Knowing this, do you really want to go to a school that shows such little care for their students? I mean if the school had some level of prestige I am sure some people would still consider attending, but this isn't the case (not to undermine any students who attend the school, who worked their butts off, as I said it's the school administration's fault)

Now let that sink in for a moment.

Reactions: 1 user
I was accepted to CNU and Touro. I’ll be choosing CNU because of a few reasons:

1) I can live at home and save a ton of money and have my family and friends around me for support.

2) CNU is building a 250 bed $750 million level 2 trauma center teaching hospital.

https://www.bizjournals.com/sacramento/news/2018/12/20/new-hospital-to-be-built-in-elk-grove.html

3) Going MD would make it a lot easier for me when applying to residencies vs DO due to PD bias.

4) I did my undergrad at Davis so a lot of friends are at both schools. Every single one (4 people) who chose Touro says that if given the chance they would switch to CNU. My friends (3 people) at CNU are very happy and I haven’t heard any complaints from them.

5) CNU’s c/o 2020 also had a good average on STEP 1. This means their preclinical aspect doesn’t hinder their ability to do well on the test. The only thing left to do now is to wait and see how c/o 2019 matches.

Some complaints I’ve headed regarding Touro CA:

1) It’s focuses heavily on the osteopathic aspects of medicine. Some DO schools focus on allopathic medicine and have osteopathy as side but that’s not the case.

2) They do very little to prepare you for boards. This is what I heard from my friends that go there. But I’ve seen it mentioned when I look up threads regarding TUCOM CA.

3) They place a large emphasis on training primary care physicians and as such have lots of labs relating to it. Not sure if I want to go into primary care but I’d like to have my options open and not pushed down a certain path.

@AnatomyGrey12 helped me when I was trying to make a similar decision. Maybe he can chime in.

Reactions: 4 users
Sounds like your not to concerned about the DO vs MD thing and were happy until you realized MD was a possibility. Probably better peace of mind to stick with your DO school and pretend like the MD didn't happen. Plus you'll get to do OMM.

1) It’s focuses heavily on the osteopathic aspects of medicine. Some DO schools focus on allopathic medicine and have osteopathy as side but that’s not the case.

@AnatomyGrey12 helped me when I was trying to make a similar decision. Maybe he can chime in.

There is no such thing as "osteopathic aspects of medicine" The only difference you will see in your curriculum between the schools is the "osteopathic manual manipulation or osteopathic principles and practices" class which will be around 3 hours a week where you learn OMM skills. Osteopathy is termed as having a well rounded approach towards treating a patient with the additional manipulation skills to use if needed. There is no such thing as "Some DO schools focus on allopathic medicine and have osteopathy as side".

Just wanted to chime in and make sure people reading this tread are not misinformed :)

Also advice for the OP, stick with your GUT and how you felt visiting both schools. Look at tuition costs and loan opportunities (Idk if you still need private loans for CNU if so that is not great). Understand that going to an MD school will make it easier for you to match in competitive specialties but if that is not something that concerns you then I would again look at where you will live, tuition costs, facilities, rotations, alumni network etc.

I am no PD by any means, but if people got questioned for attending a "better" and more established school like Drexel, then imagine how CNU graduates will be seen.

Personally, if a school shows they don't care about their students even before they matriculate (i.e. reasons mentioned above), do you really think they would care about you when you are in the woods? People say medical school wears people down and you get tested in ways you have never been, sometimes even resulting in mental health issues. Knowing this, do you really want to go to a school that shows such little care for their students? I mean if the school had some level of prestige I am sure some people would still consider attending, but this isn't the case (not to undermine any students who attend the school, who worked their butts off, as I said it's the school administration's fault)

Now let that sink in for a moment.
Not to get defensive, but where are you all getting the “CNU doesn’t care for its students” sentiments? I met several students and they all seemed genuinely happy. The tuition isn’t ideal but everything else seemed great. Have any of you personally visited the campus, or are you just reiterating hearsay?

Reactions: 1 users

1) I can live at home and save a ton of money and have my family and friends around me for support.

2) CNU is building a 250 bed $750 million level 2 trauma center teaching hospital.

https://www.bizjournals.com/sacramento/news/2018/12/20/new-hospital-to-be-built-in-elk-grove.html

3) Going MD would make it a lot easier for me when applying to residencies vs DO due to PD bias.

4) I did my undergrad at Davis so a lot of friends are at both schools. Every single one (4 people) who chose Touro says that if given the chance they would switch to CNU. My friends (3 people) at CNU are very happy and I haven’t heard any complaints from them.

5) CNU’s c/o 2020 also had a good average on STEP 1. This means their preclinical aspect doesn’t hinder their ability to do well on the test. The only thing left to do now is to wait and see how c/o 2019 matches.

Some complaints I’ve headed regarding Touro CA:

2) They do very little to prepare you for boards. This is what I heard from my friends that go there. But I’ve seen it mentioned when I look up threads regarding TUCOM CA.

3) They place a large emphasis on training primary care physicians and as such have lots of labs relating to it. Not sure if I want to go into primary care but I’d like to have my options open and not pushed down a certain path.

Thank you for your response. Very helpful! Any chance you can private message me?

In my opinion, this is kind of a wash for many factors that I don't care to list out. There is a short list of MD schools I would not personally attend over the average DO school, and CNU tops that list.

Go where you'll be happier or whichever option is cheaper.

CNU. You’ll make it through match filters who auto filter DOs and IMGs. The school had a rough start but it seems to be working it’s way towards respectable. Especially with opening it’s own teaching center. That can’t be said by the vast majority of DO programs.

Reactions: 2 users