northwestern or pittsburgh?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blue04

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been accepted to each of these schools and would like others perspective about them

Members don't see this ad.

I go to the Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine and I have to say that Northwestern is the best allopathic school in Chicago. I tutor anatomy at several of the allopathic schools, including NW, and they have the best program. I don't know anything about Pitt. Chicago is a great "CLEAN" city and your clinical opportunities are endless.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been to Chicago, and I loved it. Yet, I lived close to Pittsburgh for several years, and it was a pleasant city. It's very blue collar in nature. I'm not all too familiar with Northwestern, but I've observed in multiple surgeries (actually received shoulder surgery) at Pitt. They've got a group of hospitals that are amazing. The doctors are very well-respected, and I know that the UPMC Health System was ranked #12 overall in 99 (U.S. News I believe). They ranked extremely high in several specialties, but my most familiarity lies w/ surgery, primary ortho. Congrats on both acceptances, and good luck w/ your choice. Just my $.02

I go to NU undergrad and have spoken to many med students from the school downtown. I am sure you know the curriculum it is total PBL, which gives the students plenty of free time (most of which is a good time to study and review), a chance to cooperate and learn together rather than to compete, and I think a great way to learn medicine (my only qualification to say that is my study abroad medical program was PBL, and it made it an amazing experience).
Chicago is an amazing city, and as you saw at the interview, the school's location is perfect. There are great hospital affiliations (including Northwestern Memorial which with the $600 million addition has become one of the finest hospitals around). Their reputation is growing, and though it isn't an elite school, it is pretty damn good.
And you get the Cubs... (way better than going to Pirates games, haha)
That's my 2 cents
Simul

I agree, the Cubs and Wrigley get the nod. But Pirates games are a lot of fun. And they are very cheap.
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by psi1467 (edited 03-09-2000).]