2023-2024 Pittsburgh

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
2023-2024 Pittsburgh Secondary Essay Prompts

1. Tell us about a challenging problem you faced and how you resolved it. Include how the experience contributed to the person you are today. (250 words or less.)

2. At UPSOM, diversity and inclusion are measures of distinction, integral to achieving institutional excellence, and essential to the development of future physicians who become leaders in medicine. Describe how you have demonstrated a commitment to diversity and inclusion in the past, and how you hope to grow that commitment in medical school. (250 words or less.)

3. Tell the Admissions Committee why you are applying to Pitt Med and why you think this school would be a good fit for you? (250 words or less.)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine Interview Feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
OOS secondary received. @wysdoc
1. Tell us about a challenging problem you faced and how you resolved it. Include how the experience contributed to the person you are today. (Limit your response to 250 words or less.)

2. At UPSOM, diversity and inclusion are measures of distinction, integral to achieving institutional excellence, and essential to the development of future physicians who become leaders in medicine. Describe how you have demonstrated a commitment to diversity and inclusion in the past, and how you hope to grow that commitment in medical school. (Limit your response to 250 words or less.)

3. Tell the Admissions Committee why you are applying to Pitt Med and why you think this school would be a good fit for you? Limit your response to 250 words or less.)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I will do some more investigating into this school shortly, however I seem to remember hearing that Pitt is very research heavy. Do others know if this the case? Am I probably wasting my time if my research involvement is very, very minimal?

@chilly_md @Mr.Smile12

Last edited:
OOS secondary received

I will do some more investigating into this school shortly, however I seem to remember hearing that Pitt is very research heavy. Do others know if this the case? Am I probably wasting my time if my research involvement is very, very minimal?

@chilly_md @Mr.Smile12
Yes Pitt is definitely very research heavy. It'll probably hurt a bit, but if your stats and other parts of your app are strong enough, it could be worth a shot.

is anyone confused on how to fill out the course requirements section? my courses which included lab were listed as one on my transcript so idk if i should only fill out one line under lecture or put a duplicate under lab

is anyone confused on how to fill out the course requirements section? my courses which included lab were listed as one on my transcript so idk if i should only fill out one line under lecture or put a duplicate under lab
It says to put "LB" in the course name/number if it was a combined lecture and lab.

It says to put "LB" in the course name/number if it was a combined lecture and lab.
oh yes i saw that but i was overthinking it and wondering if i should still put it twice. but then i thought about it after posting and realized that doesn’t make any sense lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Mine is getting declined too. Has anyone contacted them about it?
i called the IT number but wasn’t able to get connected to anybody. i figure since it’s past normal business hours they probably won’t resolve it until tomorrow morning

Did you all put that any prerequisite courses taken during COVID year as being taken online? I know that normally taking online classes is looked down on but everything was online that year. Or should we only use the "online" box if the class was designed to be taken online?

Edit: also, for anyone on the quarter system, did you convert the hours into semester hours or leave them as quarter hours?

Did you all put that any prerequisite courses taken during COVID year as being taken online? I know that normally taking online classes is looked down on but everything was online that year. Or should we only use the "online" box if the class was designed to be taken online?

Edit: also, for anyone on the quarter system, did you convert the hours into semester hours or leave them as quarter hours?
I took ochem 1 and bio lab online during 2020/2021 so in the box I just put that the class was online bc my entire university was online.

Are you guys just putting the bare minimum requirements for hours? Or like if we had many bio courses, you're putting all them?

Are you guys just putting the bare minimum requirements for hours? Or like if we had many bio courses, you're putting all them?
Other med schools have specified only to enter the minimum, so I'm assuming Pitt is the same, though someone affiliated please correct me if I'm wrong. From my understanding, it's just to certify that you meet the minimum requirements.

Should I even submit their secondary if I have 350 hours of remote research with just a virtual poster? I heard they really like research and idk if it's worth it to still shoot my shot. LM 76 for what it's worth

Should I even submit their secondary if I have 350 hours of remote research with just a virtual poster? I heard they really like research and idk if it's worth it to still shoot my shot. LM 76 for what it's worth
I don't think that's too bad especially if the rest of the application is strong

Reactions: 1 users
dunno but i only have 1 poster as well and im applying lol.

Just got ahold of IT about the payment issue. They weren't aware of the problem but they said they're looking into it now. If anyone gets it to go through plz let us know.

Just got ahold of IT about the payment issue. They weren't aware of the problem but they said they're looking into it now. If anyone gets it to go through plz let us know.
My payment went through and I am now marked as "complete and under review."

i was able to submit my payment, but the portal says my application is not complete. i have all my letters of rec and mcat score in though. idk if i should contact them or if i just need to wait for it to update.

i was able to submit my payment, but the portal says my application is not complete. i have all my letters of rec and mcat score in though. idk if i should contact them or if i just need to wait for it to update.
Mine also says "Your MD Application is submitted, but NOT COMPLETE." I'm not sure why since my LORs and MCAT are in as well

Mine also says "Your MD Application is submitted, but NOT COMPLETE." I'm not sure why since my LORs and MCAT are in as well
the only thing i can think of is that someone needs to go through and manually verify that the courses we entered match what is on our transcript. but someone else above said they were marked as complete and under review after submitting so i'm not sure.

I ran into the same issue as above. I called admissions 35 minutes ago (they picked up instantly) and said they would double-check for me. I'm now complete and under review.

Reactions: 1 users
For the course name/number, are we supposed to write out the code and number (like: CHEM123) or the full name of the course AND the code/number?

OOS haven't received anything yet :cryi: is this the case for anyone else? Not sure if most schools will send out secondaries in waves
First time applying!

anyone having issues even opening the portal? mine says "sorry, an error occurred while processing your request".

anyone having issues even opening the portal? mine says "sorry, an error occurred while processing your request".
same here- I emailed admissions and they said that they have IT working on it and hope to fix the issue by the end of today

Are people approaching the diversity essay like normal or changing it? It seems to me like they're looking for something a little different, maybe community service experience or serving on committees as opposed to what makes us unique?

Are people approaching the diversity essay like normal or changing it? It seems to me like they're looking for something a little different, maybe community service experience or serving on committees as opposed to what makes us unique?
i interpreted it as more experience-based