This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mkaicher

New Member
5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello all,

I am graduating this May (non-BME engineering B.S. from Missouri S&T) and will be starting my Master's in biomedical engineering this fall (for my "gap year"). I am applying to MD programs in the next cycle for 2019. I have already been accepted to BME MS programs at Northwestern and Wash U in St. Louis. Both are 1-year course-based non-thesis programs.

I would love to hear your opinions, pros/cons, compare/contrast, etc of these two universities while considering their BME programs, MD programs, connection between BME and MD programs, faculty, research, ranking, location, weather, or any other criteria. I intend to apply to the MD programs at both universities.

Note: I have a sister in Chicago and my dad is a Northwestern alumnus. I've also applied to Columbia in N.Y. and Carnegie Mellon, but have not received their decision letters yet. Feel free to include comments on Columbia and CMU.

Thanks for your help!
 
Can't go wrong, Northwestern has some pretty amazing research in tissue engineering and Wash U would help you get an interview at one of the nation's best med schools. Go with whichever one you feel you'd be happier at for the next year