Not an ideal environment for fish.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That's terrible! I hope they pull them off the market soon. Thanks for posting that!

Oh my God.. Bettas may like confined spaces, but that's just ridiculous! To think anyone would buy or sell something like that truly makes my blood boil. That's along the same lines as keeping a turtle hatchling in a bowl or thinking it perfectly acceptable to release your exotic pet once it gets past its cute and cuddly stage.

Members don't see this ad :)
Test time! Who actually read the article? What is the volume of the Ipond?....

The article said the tank size is 850 milliliters.

Now picture you traditional small beta fish bowl you see at every pet shop that just has a single beta fish in it. I had one laying around so I measured its volume and it came up to almost exactly 500 milliliters.

So yeah, the ipod bowl isnt that bad compared to how most beta fish are sold in the US.

The article said the tank size is 850 milliliters.

So yeah, the ipod bowl isnt that bad compared to how most beta fish are sold in the US.

That's completely true, and by the way, the tanks they sell specifically for bettas are not much larger.

My concern isn't necessarily with the size of the tank, but with the stress associated with being carried around in an ipod...where do most people keep their ipod when listening? In their pockets, in their bags...not in a stable environment to say the least. Add in the stress from sound vibrations, and you have one sick (and increasingly disease-prone) fish.

This is a lousy example of animal rights sensationalism. The photo makes the tank look marginally bigger than the ipod and that is clearly not the case. Hold up your ipod in one hand and a nalgene 1L water bottle in the other. The tank is roughly the size of the nalgene. So that photo in that article is either photoshopped or using some other optical illusion to make it seem significantly smaller than it actually is.

This is a lousy example of animal rights sensationalism. The photo makes the tank look marginally bigger than the ipod and that is clearly not the case. Hold up your ipod in one hand and a nalgene 1L water bottle in the other. The tank is roughly the size of the nalgene. So that photo in that article is either photoshopped or using some other optical illusion to make it seem significantly smaller than it actually is.

still, if the curator of the aquarium recommends 10L habitats for these fish, 850ml is pretty craptacular...

I agree that something has to be wrong with that picture. It looks like the fish can't even turn around in the tank as if it is as thin as an iPod. Also, this device is not meant to be carried around like the iPod, it is a speaker system meant to be set on a desk or table.

While I don't think the iPond is necessarily the ideal tank for a betta, take a look at a lot of the stores that sell bettas and the iPond doesn't look so bad. I often see bettas in filthy little cups at stores - disgusting and who knows how long they sit there like that. In fact, when I recently got a fishtank, I found that many stores, such as some of the big box pet stores don't have the greatest fish care either. And don't even get me started on the fish Wal-Mart was selling. Wal-Mart should NOT sell fish or other live creatures.