Not good at standardized testing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ORamahiii

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was curious if anybody else knew they were bad at standardized testing before they took the DAT but still did well ??

Members don't see this ad.

- i got a 1790 (super score) on the SAT (attempt 1: 1720, attempt 2: 1730), 26 on ACT
- 420 on Bio SAT II, 500 on Math 1 SAT II, 650 on US History SAT II

so i did pretty bad on those tests.

i got a 23AA on the DAT. i felt like the materials i used were amazing and i studied my hardest knowing how much the DAT counts. if you are willing to study hard and commit yourself to the DAT, you can do well!

i personally felt the DAT was easier than the sat bc : 1. i studied my ass off for almost 3 months 2. it tests you on stuff you've learned in school and not stupid ass vocab 3. i felt the dat reading was a breeze compared to some stuff on the SAt

my breakdown is below but PM if you have any questions

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't even remember what I got on my SAT, lol, but it was not good. Probably around 1700, I could just care less as a 17 year old, so I barely studied. Studying for standardized tests is all about material, work ethic and FEELING PREPARED. Luckily for the DAT you can take as much time as you want, and there is an abundance of material.

My signature has a breakdown if you're interested.

Reactions: 1 user
Standardized testing is a matter of confidence and feeling prepared.

Being "good" at taking tests is from hard work, not from some special talent.

I'm not sure how good I am at standardized tests, as I never had to take them (i'm not from the states so no SAT for me). However, I definitely don't think i'm a genius (in fact, many people have straight up told me I'm not)

I think succeeding on the DAT is largely a function of your preparation/effort. I've heard other things for the LSAT and MCAT though.

All in all, work hard, work often and use all the good resources (destroyer, bootcamp, chads, cliffs, feralis) and you should be solid.

1670 SAT, 22 ACT. I really didn't apply myself in high school because I'm from Texas and was more focused on being in the top 10% of my class for automatic admissions into college. However, college was a huge wake-up call and I've really been applying myself the last 2 years. Once I started applying myself, the nervousness I felt with the SAT/ACT started to dwindle away and I felt good about the DAT (for the most part). Ended up making a 24AA

I did awful on my SAT... 1530. So I was very nervous to take the DAT. This motivated me to study that much harder.
It is definitely possible to still kill the DAT if you did poorly on college entry exams...
DAT: 22AA/21TS/19BIO/23GC/26OC/22RC/22QR