?? not understanding scores that people get here..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shinyMIRROR

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm pretty new to the site and I am about to take my DAT soon but I always feel like total crap everytime i get on here and read the posts. I have been addicted to SDN for the past 2 weeks ever since I found out about this site and I have been looking at the scores that people have scored on the DAT here on this site and I'm just in shock. Avg for dental schools is like 19-20 but people on SDN get 22+. Is it just because all the overachievers happen to all get on SDN or are dental schools lying to us to make us feel better. I been scoring 17-18 on TopScore and everytime I get on SDN i feel so stupid cuz my scores dont even compare. Is anyone in the same boat, or am I the only low-scoring DAT test taker on here? Stressing out here...... I need to go to SDN anonymous.

Members don't see this ad.

First of all, don't let the scores you see on SDN mess with your head. I'm sure if 20 people post their high scores on here, there are 100 people that don't because their scores were low or average. If you're scoring 18's on your Topscore, then statistically you should be scoring around 19, 20 on your real DAT.

Hi,
I'm pretty new to the site and I am about to take my DAT soon but I always feel like total crap everytime i get on here and read the posts. I have been addicted to SDN for the past 2 weeks ever since I found out about this site and I have been looking at the scores that people have scored on the DAT here on this site and I'm just in shock. Avg for dental schools is like 19-20 but people on SDN get 22+. Is it just because all the overachievers happen to all get on SDN or are dental schools lying to us to make us feel better. I been scoring 17-18 on TopScore and everytime I get on SDN i feel so stupid cuz my scores dont even compare. Is anyone in the same boat, or am I the only low-scoring DAT test taker on here? Stressing out here...... I need to go to SDN anonymous.

Relax. :) Overachievers do tend to aggregate on forums that discuss like-minded issues therefore here you are. Don't think you can't score above 20 because I remember taking tests initially around 18/19.

Simplify your life, expand your daily intake of information and get ready to live with information overload. Welcome to the club.

Hi,

So .. which information would you believe to be more trustworthy?

A) Dental schools
B) Random people posting anonymously over the internet

Think about it for a sec.

The average matriculant of dental school is 19AA. Don't let SDN scare you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

Don't freak out too much...most people who post on here score way above the average because well....they deserve to brag

Topscore is pretty accurate and if anything is a few points lower than the real deal...

Use the results to study hard and post here after you get a 22+...you got this!

A) Dental schools

haha actually I was gonna say something about that too, but I thought some people might take it personal. But in this case yeah, it's not like you trust your life with people that post their scores on here!

Personally, I wouldn't have even posted a breakdown if I had gotten anything less than 20AA.

Last edited:
Also, most people who don't know about SDN use Kaplan as their many source of prep which mainly delivers 19 AA score. However, SDN members are aware of the other more effective study materials that can actually deliver 22+ scores.

This should actually encourage you if anything since there's a good chance of scoring 22+ too if you follow the blueprint.

A) Dental schools

Think about it for a sec.

The average matriculant of dental school is 19AA. Don't let SDN scare you.

Haha true that...

Use the good breakdowns to customize your own study schedule....

But keep in mind the average is still 19-20 to get into dental school (assuming a decent GPA)

Hi,

I consider myself lucky when people who crush the DAT come back and post a breakdown. They are immensely helpful and provide a ton of insight from everything to study tips to what to eat during the break. You shouldn't feel discouraged, although it is easy to. What you are seeing is a very small cross section of rarified performances. Good policy is to try to focus your own efforts and do the best you can. I know that's cliche but ultimately it doesn't matter how other people are scoring when you send out your app.

Thanks guys for the encouragement :D and yes I totally agree that if you score above 22+ you definitely have the right to brag. I just cant help but feel a little discouraged since the scores can be intimidating but I definitely will follow up on the advice that people give out.. especially those who achieve exceptionally high scores.

Thanks guys for the encouragement :D and yes I totally agree that if you score above 22+ you definitely have the right to brag. I just cant help but feel a little discouraged since the scores can be intimidating but I definitely will follow up on the advice that people give out.. especially those who achieve exceptionally high scores.

Dude.. while studying for my exam I was bookmarking every high DAT breakdown I saw because it scared the crap out of me. Once you understand it, you can beat it.

You should check out the 21AA+ thread. It contains a wealth of information and was a goldmine for me while I was getting ready to prepare....you might find it useful as well.

Dude.. while studying for my exam I was bookmarking every high DAT breakdown I saw because it scared the crap out of me. Once you understand it, you can beat it.

Haha, I discovered SDN 2 weeks after I finished writing my DAT, when I needed help with applications. Wished I knew about Chad Videos.

Luckily, I had a friend who scored 22AA that told me which study materials to buy.

Funny, I've been doing the same. I have soooooo many bookmarks on score report threads and random bio/GC/OC questions. I can't wait until I take the exam so I can delete these bookmarks lol.