Notes on a Scandal: Texas Waitlist!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So for UTSW. If the waitlist email says you're in the:

Top 10%, you're #1~#23
Top 25%, you're #24~#57
Top 1/3, you're #58~76
Mid 1/3, you're #77~#153
Bottom 1/3, you're #154~#230

out of 230

How do you know this??
Man, I got my hopes up after seeing top 1/3 in the email :(

Members don't see this ad.

Although i think the newest e-mail gives people a good idea of where they stand... the first e-mail said they dont rank in precise sequence. I'll take that to mean they are gonna obviously try to balance their class while accepting people off the waitlist.

maybe they mean precise sequence as in 1,2,3,4,5, but not as divided. maybe they take all 10% first, then 25% then 1/3, etc...

The mod that shut us down is claiming it is because we fed the trolls, which is ridiculous, plenty of other threads on sdn stay open and become trollfests and mods don't do jacksh**. We were discussing the UTSW email because it would have ramifications on the rest of the TX schools acceptances, and they shut us down because of a few measly posts - that if they had banned that clown in the first place - would never had been posted.

Members don't see this ad :)
I totally love it when mods who aren't really active in the forums decide to pop in once in a while, read a few posts, and try and flex their mod powers.

That's why Genetics and christian15213 (who isn't even banned yet) survived for so long...

The mod that shut us down is claiming it is because we fed the trolls, which is ridiculous, plenty of other threads on sdn stay open and become trollfests and mods don't do jacksh**. We were discussing the UTSW email because it would have ramifications on the rest of the TX schools acceptances, and they shut us down because of a few measly posts - that if they had banned that clown in the first place - would never had been posted.

what trolls? maybe i have no idea because i haven't been following the thread that much..

I was gonna make a new thread... "don't mess w/ texas" in retaliation, but decided to bump this one back up

what trolls? maybe i have no idea because i haven't been following the thread that much..

that's what I'm saying. It was djfir03 (or whatever his name is) - he posted like maybe 3 troll posts and mod shuts us down.

totally ridiculous.

Me looking for desperate quick answers said:
So for UTSW. If the waitlist email says you're in the:

Top 10%, you're #1~#23
Top 25%, you're #24~#57
Top 1/3, you're #58~76
Mid 1/3, you're #77~#153
Bottom 1/3, you're #154~#230

out of 230

How do you know this??

Anyone?

How do you know this??

I arrived at those numbers based on the following information and assumptions:

-There are 230 people on UTSW's waitlist

-I know someone who got an UTSW waitlist email saying they're in the top 10%

-I know someone who got an UTSW waitlist email saying they're in the top 25%

-I know someone who got an UTSW waitlist email saying they're in the top 1/3

-I know someone who got an UTSW waitlist email saying they're in the mid 1/3

-I know someone who got an UTSW waitlist email saying they're in the bottom 1/3

-And I assume if someone is in the top 10%, they get an top 10% email and not a top 1/3 one...etc

Why in the world did our thread get closed for 24 hrs?

They only said "Don't feed the trolls, folks." I saw no trolls on that last page (that drf01, or whatever his name was had already been banned).

that's what I'm saying. It was djfir03 (or whatever his name is) - he posted like maybe 3 troll posts and mod shuts us down.

totally ridiculous.

Funny how that was all it took, yet those threads by Christian15203 stayed open for at least 3 pages of useless trolling discussion before they got closed.

I am mad. :mad:

What burns me up even more is that it was the mod named "aphistis", who I had never seen before today - gotta love the drop in mod action.

Anastasis is an advisor and she was in the Texas thread the whole time, I have full faith in her ability to diffuse a forum situation, unlike the mods and supermods.

I say we all PM the jacka$$ mod who closed our thread down. This is ridiculous. oh and if what snowtown concluded is correct, that is a really sneaky way of getting people's hopes up with the 1/3 category.

Members don't see this ad :)
I say we all PM the jacka$$ mod who closed our thread down. This is ridiculous. oh and if what snowtown concluded is correct, that is a really sneaky way of getting people's hopes up with the 1/3 category.

His name is "aphistis", I PMed him once to get him to write WHY he shut down our thread. I PMed him again to protest the shutdown after learning it was because of some extremely minor troll activity, and he is conveniently ignoring me.

I really hate the mods/supermods on this forum. I post on many a forum and by far the mods and "supermods" here are the most annoying. The advisors are fine, which always seems to be the case when they are somewhat active in the forums (ie braluk, Anastasis, Pardi).

maybe they mean precise sequence as in 1,2,3,4,5, but not as divided. maybe they take all 10% first, then 25% then 1/3, etc...

Yea I think they are gonna stick within the segments. However we all know how much they factor in balancing race and gender, so it wouldnt surprise me if some weird stuff went down. But regardless, I got no chance in hell i'm stuck in the bottom thrid.

Let's at least overwhelm him with PM's. ER is right, he's not even one of the "regular" mods, and there was absolutely no trolling going on in our thread. What the heck were we supposed to do? Stop posting at all after drjd01 started posting?

Wait until Chuck Norris gets a hold of this information, someone's going to get roundhouse kicked all the way to China.

We want our Republic back or we will be Reannexing! Down with the Liberals and their free ranging hippyish moderating.

Guys - remember the "ignore" function is there for a reason :) I love that thing - saves me alot of headaches :laugh:

My suggestion would be to start a new Texas thread. Don't make the title antagonistic but it was getting kind of long in the first place, we might as well start another.

But seriously, we can stick together. If someone else comes in with asinine posts, just ignore them and move on. It's really not worth your trouble.

YEAH! ANastasis is trying to fix it.

Like I said I have full faith in her abilities to moderate. YAY ANASTASIS!

LONG LIVE TEXAS!

Since it seems like we're gonna be camped out here for a little bit, I've decided to erect the flag here while we wait:
texas_flag.JPG

ER, you should make a new thread with one of your (incredibly witful) titles. :D

PS. Thanks to Anastasis for her work on trying to get the thread back open. :love:

booo... they shut us down b/c theyre super jeluz of tejas. ;)

...why do we not have a texan mod on staff? or do we?

My suggestion would be to start a new Texas thread. Don't make the title antagonistic but it was getting kind of long in the first place, we might as well start another.

Done.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=378130

Baylormed, I would have used something a little more colorful, but most of the ones I came up with in part III incited a fantasyfest and also I wanted to keep the structure of the title intact just for consistency's sake.

I did however pay homage to the Man.

first I think I have eternal rage for our thread getting shut down. i'm really annoyed. really really really annoyed. but i will have to deal with that.

I know someone mentioned the difference between the TMDSAS # of applicants for UTSW and what they say so here's what the email said

UT SOUTHWESTERN SAYS THAT IT OFFERED 401 PLACES LAST YEAR
BUT THERE IS A STATISTICAL SHEET DISTRIBUTED BY TDMAS
THAT PUT THE NUMBER OF OFFERS AT 295 - WHICH IS CORRECT?

Both are correct, but 401 is the most relevant. TDMAS counts offers as the number of letters mailed to applicants inviting them to attend. UT Southwestern considers that an offer made through a computer algorithm (the match) is just as much of an offer as one that is sent through the mail. 401 is the number of applicants we invited to attend UT Southwestern last year.

My outside opinion,

top 1/3 WL ppl at southwestern should be feeling very optimistic.

Anyone get off the waitlist from TCOM yet? With some other waitlists moving, I'm hoping they help to clear out the TCOM waitlist.

Has anyone NOT recieved anything from UTH yet? I emailed Ms. Reyes and was told that I was not on the WL, but still haven't recieved an official rejection yet. I need some closure...:)

I'm in the same boat Dr.Van. I'm hopefully Tiffany had a lapse of vision and I am actually on the WL. :oops:

I'm in the same boat Dr.Van. I'm hopefully Tiffany had a lapse of vision and I am actually on the WL. :oops:

lol I am hoping for the same thing. I am trying to justify this nonsense in my head. But if two of us are doing it, it has to be true ;)

I'm in a similar situation at San Antonio, except that I'm not going to call to see if i'mon the waitlist. That way, if i get a random waitlist acceptance, it's like mana from the heavens! Otherwise, it's just another letter to go in the rejection stack. :smuggrin:

Any updates on TCOM waitlist, or has anyone actually been able to speak with someone from admissions and get a timetable?

Has anyone NOT recieved anything from UTH yet? I emailed Ms. Reyes and was told that I was not on the WL, but still haven't recieved an official rejection yet. I need some closure...:)

no kidding, i could use some closure as well...my 2 WL's aren't looking promising...

no kidding, i could use some closure as well...my 2 WL's aren't looking promising...

IF I happen to interview at UTH again next year, before the interview I'll drop by the admissions office asking for a copy so I can start the new interview on new foot ;)

I think it's best to assume rejection now to prepare for the next application cycle. If we get in, then great :D

For anyone who's interested about the TCOM waitlist, I spoke with someone in admissions who said that they've already starting calling some people, and that they will continue up until right before the beginning of class in July.

I'm in a similar situation at San Antonio, except that I'm not going to call to see if i'mon the waitlist. That way, if i get a random waitlist acceptance, it's like mana from the heavens! Otherwise, it's just another letter to go in the rejection stack. :smuggrin:

San Antonio sends you a form to be filled out and signed in order to be considered on the official alternate pool list. If you haven't received the form in the mail you should call them. Don't wait! To my understanding you cannot even be on the waitlist or what they call "alternate pool" unless you fill out that form and sign it by a certain date. If they have sent you the form but for some reason it is lost in mail or something you may miss out on your spot.

I'm really interested to see how many people are called off each schools' lists since we have this silly new admissions thingie.

Last edited:
nothing more than the 8 they told us about in the email....

*sigh* still waiting for them to come thru :oops:

is the 8 that were taken off the waitlist part of the original 230 member waitlist? should i assume that the waitlist is now 222 people?

I'd assume so b/c it looks like the WL was made then 8 offers given, unless those were OOS students who were not part of the match/waitlist process?? Just something to throw into the mix

Last edited:
Those eight are not part of the 230. I remember asking myself that and then checking the precise wording of the email to find out.

The email also said that there is an OOS list but that it's so small that it wasn't very relevant. (Under Texas law, only 10 percent can be OOS -- whether that's offers extended or matriculants, I don't know.)

Anyone think we'll see movement before May 15?

well if true, that would be some good news. it's gonna be a long 2-3 months...

good luck rocket!

Thanks! Waiting is def. not fun, but hey it's not over till its over!

Good luck rocket, I'm pulling for you since you and I were the only ones keeping the tx thread going before the match. FYI to you and all the others waiting, I've withdrawn from all the WLs (tech, utmb, and a&m).

:luck:

Haha, yeah! And I think I was scrolling around and you got into Penn State? Congrats! It's cold in the north, but it's all good. Plus, all the chocolate you can eat, right??

Thanks again... hopefully I'll make my way to TX and when you come back to visit home you can stop by and visit where I'll be if a little :luck: goes my way!! :cool: