Nova Secondary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YoungFaithful

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just a few remarks,

Why do they ask what other schools have you applied to on their secondary? They don't just casually ask this, they have charts to fill in for both DO and MD schools. Isn't that illegal or something???

Also, I am just getting around to filling out the sec app and they sent it to me on Oct 10. The app is dated. Is it too late to even be considered by adcom?

Thanks,
YF

Members don't see this ad.

I don't have an answer to your questoin, but am in the exact same boat. It was sent the 10th and I started it today. Wow, I'm a slacker....thought I got rid of that in college.

I know they generally like to have secondaries in pretty quickly but you both should be okay for another week or so.

I filled in all the schools, despite the fact I thought it was a little strange and made me uncomfortable. Don't lie because NSU could find out from talking to other schools and then you'd be up a creek. I had to fill in the other 22 shcools I applied to and still got an interview, so I wouldn't sweat it. Just fill in "application pending" for all the schools - that's what I did.

Good luck !

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest it's used mostly as evidence to support or contradict what you say in an interview. If they ask, "Why Nova?", and you answer with, "Because I love the south and want to stay here", but on your secondary you applied to 3 southern schools and 15 schools in the north or midwest, you might be screwed.

I doubt seriously they would hold it against you for applying both MD and DO, or to any other school.

So I am actually just filling this app out too. Dr.LexyGoat, do you have great #'s. Just curious what it takes to get an interview. It is my top choice DO school.

cmudan,

I actually found out yesterday that I got in!!!!!!!! They made the decision the day after I interviewed and told me the next day!!!! So, expect a quick turn-around. I found out yesterday and started jumping around screaming.... so happy.

Anyway, I think my #s are okay. I have a 3.98 cum (4.0 science) from the Univ of Central Florida (a VERY large public school in orlando... good ties and reputation with NSU) and scored a 27T on my MCAT. I was hoping to score much higher (all my practice tests were 29 and 30) but what can you do?! I have research experience in a cancer lab, am a marathon runner, volunteer with hospice and hospitals for several years, am a patient advocate for Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, lots of clubs and some limited leadership.

I know that when I went in for my interview they had thoroughly read my packet bc they asked VERY specific questions about my ECs. I think that's a GREAT thing for applicants.

I know NSU has a great turnaround time so expect things to move quickly once your app is in. They said to us at the interview that they accept about 3/4 to 2/3 of those they invite for interviews so it's a good sign if you get one!

Good luck to everyone!
Alexis

Originally posted by drlexygoat

I know NSU has a great turnaround time so expect things to move quickly once your app is in.

He He.....I had my application complete in August....I got my invite today. I guess that's quick :)

BTW I used to live in orlando and UCF is a pretty nice campus...I took my MCAT there in 2001.

CONGRATS drlexygoat,

PM me and let me know if this is where you will be going or if you're going to wait for other acceptances to roll in. I'm still having a tough time making my decision.

Jay

Originally posted by JKDMed
I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest it's used mostly as evidence to support or contradict what you say in an interview...

i think u are correct in your assumptions... i was asked y nova when i also applied to allo's. just tell them the truth.

there are so many discussions on this subject b/c ppl are afraid to say/answer the truth -- why did u apply to allo's?