Nova Southeastern University Masters in BioMedical Sciences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have a question, if you apply for 2 years, and take the same classes as medical students, if they accept you to medical school after the interview, do you have to retak those classes? or do you go to the third year since you did 2 years of same classes as a medical student? :/

What John said is exactly what I know regarding this program ( and I know many former and present students). If you want a 2 year Masters program (this is NOT intended for you) As a matter of fact dr.D told us in my interview day "if you are looking for a 2 year masters program this is not for you, come here looking to do great and moving on to medical school"

Members don't see this ad.

In short, No. From what I've learned about the MBS program, they want people who are looking for a bridge into medical/dental school after the first year. In other words, they want students who are looking to prove themselves in the first year of classes and thus matriculate into the M1 group the following year without doing the second year of the MBS program. Few students ever go on to the second year unless you don't keep you 80 percent average in the program, in which case you Must stay and complete the program.

Additionally, you still have to start as a first year student (M1) because you don't cover the whole curriculum of the medical/dental school while you are in the MBS program. You still have all the clinical courses and such to cover and so you must track through the M1/M2 years with the rest of them. The only thing you won't have to retake are those classes you took in the MBS program which you scored a 90% or better.

So overall, you need an 80% across the board in all your classes to have a seat reserved for you in next year's medical class (They don't advertise this on the website or anywhere else, but this is what you will hear when you speak to the faculty or the current students) and those classes you get a 90% or above you do not have to retake (though the credit is all that carries over, so the grade doesn't contribute to your med school GPA).

If anyone else has anything to add, feel free. Just putting out what I know so far.

thank you so much, because i was getting scared at the idea of doing 2 years than additonal 4 years :) but this makes perfectly sense, thank you :) and another question, do they accept only a minimum mcat of 24 for this program?

thank you so much, because i was getting scared at the idea of doing 2 years than additonal 4 years :) but this makes perfectly sense, thank you :) and another question, do they accept only a minimum mcat of 24 for this program?

I don't believe there is a Minimum score, they simply require that you have taken the MCAT. The program is rather competitive compared to others of it's kind (e.g. Barry), so having a higher score or a strong undergrad GPA plus relevant experience in research and/or clinical work/shadowing will give you a better shot of snagging an interview. Most of the folks applying are at least decent candidates for medical/dental school but are usually just deficient in one area or another.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got my Sharklink working! I made the mistake of mailing my acceptance sheet & payments via USPS and thus adding to the pile of paperwork admissions has to sort through. The end result was that they never got it. Went to Nova, turned it all in personally and now I'm good to go.

Got my Sharklink working! I made the mistake of mailing my acceptance sheet & payments via USPS and thus adding to the pile of paperwork admissions has to sort through. The end result was that they never got it. Went to Nova, turned it all in personally and now I'm good to go.

Congrats John! My sharklink started working today as well, just as the IT helpdesk told me it would.

Side note does anybody know what we are supposed to do about registering for classes?

I don't believe there is a Minimum score, they simply require that you have taken the MCAT. The program is rather competitive compared to others of it's kind (e.g. Barry), so having a higher score or a strong undergrad GPA plus relevant experience in research and/or clinical work/shadowing will give you a better shot of snagging an interview. Most of the folks applying are at least decent candidates for medical/dental school but are usually just deficient in one area or another.

I am only asking because I remember, 2 years ago they said via-email that a 24 was required to be offered an interview for this program, in order to be considered for DO. Is it late to apply now? or do you think the seats are already filled?

Congrats John! My sharklink started working today as well, just as the IT helpdesk told me it would.

Side note does anybody know what we are supposed to do about registering for classes?

I e-mailed Dr. Dribin and she said that she will give us the CRN numbers when the numbers for the classes are available.(so we will sign up for classes) She also said that she would give us info from past mbs students to ask questions too!!! Yayayayay!

I am only asking because I remember, 2 years ago they said via-email that a 24 was required to be offered an interview for this program, in order to be considered for DO. Is it late to apply now? or do you think the seats are already filled?

I don't know if the seats are full but I know that is to late to apply for this cycle the the last interviews have already been done. If you apply for next year do it early!!! I applied in January. I hope the best for you.

The deadline for application for this cycle and last was April 15, so its definitely to late to apply. But pippy is definitely right about applying as early as possible (during the first or second week of January). If you have a chance take a look at the application now (if it is still available) and get your materials ready to submit when it opens in January next year. Both sides of the program (D.O. and Dental) are challenging to get into but its the perfect program if you want it badly enough. Good luck with your application and hopefully we'll see you next year!

Anything lately??!?!?!?!?!?! I am hoping that we register for classes soon!

Anything lately??!?!?!?!?!?! I am hoping that we register for classes soon!
Emailed Dr. Dribin a couple times this past week and will be meeting with her on Friday she said that she would be sending us registration information in a few weeks for classes but if I hear different when I meet with her I will be sure to let you guys know!

I met a Nova student last week. We got to chatting and she mentioned how she's waiting for her schedule to post too... Something about needing to plan her life down to the minute. She said that registration usually happens between the end of June and the beginning half of July.

Anyone else here the same? Different?

Looks like we have our Health forms and a tentative schedule with a text book listing.

Members don't see this ad :)
hi guys! congrats to those of you that got in. I'm in the process of trying to figure out master's programs right now because my stats are pretty...crappy!

GPA (per AACOMAS):
sgpa: 2.62
cgpa: 2.9

MCAT: 28S, 26R (don't ask...I studied really hard the 2nd time. :/)

I have a LOT LOT LOT of EC and clinical experience. I've been working in 3 ER's (one at one of the top teaching hospitals in the country) for the past 2 years and have a lot of volunteer experience/leadership experience as well.
Unfortunately because of my dad's accident, i've had 2-3 jobs throughout undergrad so my grades suck and on top of that a close friend died last year...not that that's an excuse, but I have a c- in a chem class...I plan on retaking it but does anyone know what the school's policy is on that?

I know some schools state that they don't accept C- but will still let you into the program if you retake it before matriculating...does anyone know? Or does anyone have the contact information for anyone in charge of the program? I've been scouring the website but there's...nothing.

Thanks in advance guys and good luck! :)

This seems like a fabulous program but it's extremely hard to get into from what I hear...

150-200 applications, 50 interviews, 17 acceptances....

Dr. Dribin told me they are concerned mainly with grades including high GPAs and mentioned 3.5 and above and low MCAT to be the average like 20-23 MCAT....

Can accepted students post their stats please, thanks and congratz!

Hey guys...congrats on those who received the admission notices to the MBS Program. Yes it is very competitive your first semester. It is stressful, to keep your grades at an 80 or better; but it is so 'do-able.' If you're accepted, trust yourself...administration goes above and beyond to choose adequate candidates for their program.

I finished my first semester with 90's and high 80's back in '05, and left for family issues. I am a Firefighter, and have been since...but I have been getting the itch to go back to Med School. Used to talk a lot to Dr. Dribin, but it's been years now. Just wondering if any of you know (especially those who are in, and may ask this question), if you took a leave of absence from the program, since '05 with grades above 80, and wanted to go back and finish your 2nd semester...would it be possible? Also, if possible and grades 2nd semester above 80's in this case, would the seat for Med School still be reserved for the individual in this case?

Please reply with any info on this matter. Thanks:D

Hey guys...congrats on those who received the admission notices to the MBS Program. Yes it is very competitive your first semester. It is stressful, to keep your grades at an 80 or better; but it is so 'do-able.' If you're accepted, trust yourself...administration goes above and beyond to choose adequate candidates for their program.

I finished my first semester with 90's and high 80's back in '05, and left for family issues. I am a Firefighter, and have been since...but I have been getting the itch to go back to Med School. Used to talk a lot to Dr. Dribin, but it's been years now. Just wondering if any of you know (especially those who are in, and may ask this question), if you took a leave of absence from the program, since '05 with grades above 80, and wanted to go back and finish your 2nd semester...would it be possible? Also, if possible and grades 2nd semester above 80's in this case, would the seat for Med School still be reserved for the individual in this case?

Please reply with any info on this matter. Thanks

Please reply with any info on this matter. Thanks

Hey rcard,

I definitely think your best option would be to approach Dr. Dribin on that matter. I have not heard of anybody coming back after leaving before the second semester but my guess is that with the rapidly changing nature of the medical field you will have to repeat the first semester and complete the second semester if granted admission. Good luck with everything.

ajhr

Thanks for the reply ajhr. I was just wondering because I took a leave of absence, but not terminated the program. But your right, I should ask Dr. Dribin. Hope all is well in your studies. Hopefully someone else will also read this and give me more insight prior to soliciting Dr. Dribin.

does anyone happen to have Dr. Dribin's contact info? I've been trying to find his email address forever but I can't seem to locate it! I would really appreciate it!

No one is posting on here anymore regarding applications for the 2012 year??

Last edited:
I was following this thread because I applied for this year and tried to use the dates as a timeline. I just had my interview today! Everyone was extremely nice. I guess now the waiting begins....

How did the day and interview go? Any specific questions they asked or information they told you? Thanks for any info!

The day started at 8:45am and I was in a group of 5 there for interviews. We were taken on a short tour and then interviewed individually. The interview was about 5-10 minutes and they only asked questions specific to my file. Everyone was extremely nice and the interview was very laid back yet my body decided to have a panic attack when I sat down at a small table with 4 doctors interviewing me at once...lol They gave me a minute, poured a glass of water for me, and words finally came out.

I also interviewed today and everything was great!! The students who gave us the tour were very helpful and answered any questions we had and I think my interview went well...the only thing that bummed me out was the fact that they said the process was gonna be really slow this year so I don't know how long I'll have to wait to hear anything!!

They mostly just ask you about yourself and your reasons for wanting to be a part of the program. It's really mellow and I felt pretty good afterwards :)

I am a current MBS DO track student:

Had the second day of interviews on Friday. It was nice to meet all of you and I am looking forward to meeting the third and fourth interview groups Wednesday and Friday.

As far as my knowledge, they have not scheduled any interview dates past this coming Friday (March 30th) but they plan to have a few more weeks of interviews and will be scheduling them in the near future.

Word of advice: Make sure to ask lots of questions during your tour! We love answering them and telling people about our school and the MBS program.

I had my interview yesterday (Friday). First off, thanks to all the current MBS students that took us on the tour and answered all of our questions. It was extremely informative and all around a great experience! The only advice I would give is to be yourself and to not stress about the interview. All of the faculty were very welcoming and positive throughout the entire process.

No updates anyone?? New interviews...nada??

feeling pretty bummed now that I found out about this program and there is an april 15 deadline!! I will probably not be able to get everything in by then - missed it by only a few days probably!

feeling pretty bummed now that I found out about this program and there is an april 15 deadline!! I will probably not be able to get everything in by then - missed it by only a few days probably!

No worries, try again next year!! The program is totally worth it...applications open in January. This year they've already started the interview process.

Hello, has anyone heard anything from admissions, gotten any new emails????

Just received an email today about scheduling an interview. I'm reallly looking forward to it. Anyone have any key points to be aware of for the interview to do really well on it? I've been working so hard to get into this program. Good luck to everyone!!!

hey guys! I just got offered an interview today as well. Any advice??

I had my interview back in March and still waiting on an update...but I suppose I won't get one until all the interviews have been done.

Best advice to give for the interviews is just relax and be yourself, and ask your "tour guides" a lot of questions.

Likewise, had my interview early April... Still waiting, guess wont hear till mid to late may. A/C last years may 16 is the date to watch out for (SDN says) ??
Wonder how many more interviews they have scheduled. Man, this program is def hard to get into.

few more weeks and hopefully we will be hearing something. I had my interview the end of March!!

So are they not doing interviews anymore. I just got my stuff in by the deadline.

few more weeks and hopefully we will be hearing something. I had my interview the end of March!!
I hope so!! This is wait is not very scrumptious! I think maybe 15 more days... Hopefully!! Fingers crossed****

So are they not doing interviews anymore. I just got my stuff in by the deadline.
I am sorry!! But FYI! LECOM has a great post bacc program in Lake Erie, and they "guarantee" in a way. 3.0 in the post bacc and 23 MCAT and a good interview and I heard if you fulfill those reqs. you are pretty much in! Call them up! See if that helps :)

I hope so!! This is wait is not very scrumptious! I think maybe 15 more days... Hopefully!! Fingers crossed****

I feel the same way!! Tomorrow is officially May and my nerves are gonna be in full anxiety mode!! Good luck to everyone, think positive :)

I feel the same way!! Tomorrow is officially May and my nerves are gonna be in full anxiety mode!! Good luck to everyone, think positive :)
I know !! I am with you.. Ugh Ugh Ugh lol! Applications for med started last year, thank you GOD for teaching me patience?!?!

I just spoke with admissions today and they said they are still reviewing and scheduling interviews so we should hear about interviews being scheduled still by end of may early june.

I just spoke with admissions today and they said they are still reviewing and scheduling interviews so we should hear about interviews being scheduled still by end of may early june.

I'd take what admissions says with a grain of salt because they were also telling people that they didn't review applications for interviews until after the deadline...then again it may be true. I hope not, I'd rather find out in a couple weeks than by the end of the month =/

I'd take what admissions says with a grain of salt because they were also telling people that they didn't review applications for interviews until after the deadline...then again it may be true. I hope not, I'd rather find out in a couple weeks than by the end of the month =/
I agree they told us in our interview we should hear sometging by mid to late may. i cant wait any longer. I hope not

Just keeping this thread going and checking to see if anyone has heard any new updates?

Just keeping this thread going and checking to see if anyone has heard any new updates?

Nope no updates. I called them last week I think and they told me they are still interviewing, and that we should hear something end of May :/ blehhhh... waiting sucks!

Nope no updates. I called them last week I think and they told me they are still interviewing, and that we should hear something end of May :/ blehhhh... waiting sucks!

Same here, I really hope it's sooner though!! But if it is at the end of the month, that's around the time of my birthday and an acceptance would be an amazing gift!! For now, the waiting is horribleeeeeee =/

Same here, I really hope it's sooner though!! But if it is at the end of the month, that's around the time of my birthday and an acceptance would be an amazing gift!! For now, the waiting is horribleeeeeee =/
I couldnt help but think that we will hear mid may. Last yr and the yr before was mid may. I think tgey are just sayimg that so people can calm down.