NOVA vs. CCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

A-MAC

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do all of you think about NOVA and CCOM, how do you think they compare. I have been accepted to CCOM and invited for an interview at NOVA. I think I am pretty set on going to CCOM, but I am wondering if NOVA is worth checking out. I know about the prison rotations and this does not bother me, in fact I think it would be a great opportunity. For those of you who have been to both schools or one of the schools, would appreciate your thoughts on the subject.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Rotations aside, I think CCOM is the more academic of the two and, at least from my perspective, that makes it a stronger school. Or sorts of research is coming from CCOM, including the latest NEJM article on OMT and LBP.

I like NSU too, but if it were up to me to decide between the two, I'd go with CCOM.

Or I'd apply to NYCOM (the best, in my opinion) and just go there.
smile.gif

Tim of New York City.

A-mac,I've also in much the similar situation as you. I've been accepted to both CCOM and NOVA. NOVA's facilities are definitely worth checking out(better than CCOM, library is ten times bigger with much much more computers, anatomy lab is big, OMT lab is big too), and the weather down there is much nicer than in Chicago. However, I do want to specialize one day and knowing NOVA puts more emphasis on primary care, I'm a bit hesitant. CCOM seems to have more affiliations with hospitals around that region. I'm in the process of getting back with the Admission's coordinator at NOVA (Miss Higgs) to find out about matching statistics of its students. She's going to send me the info. then once I get an idea then I'll decide.

Just my biased opinion but I think PCOM is still the best osteopathic school if you're just lucky to get in (they prefer PA state residents). It's like a combo between CCOM and NOVA. I still haven't heard peep from them though.

I also got interview offers from NYCOM,KCOM,OUCOM,WVSOM but not sure if I want to go there. I'm having a cashflow problem at the moment.

My state allo school also put me on the waiting list so I'm waiting for a decision too.

I'll post any new info. from NOVA when I get them.

Members don't see this ad :)
You choose not to interview at the osteopathic mecca (this time I mean KCOM)? Well it is out in the boonies, but it's a great school from what I've heard. I'm still pretty partial to NYCOM, then CCOM and PCOM tie it up for #2, and for the next spot, I'll give it to MSU.
smile.gif

Tim of New York City.
(just an opinion from a med student who doesn't go to any of those schools -- please, no flak)
smile.gif

A-Mac,
I was accepted to NOVA last year and I can concur that their facilities are immaculate. However, aside from being close to home, I chose CCOM because I feel that the academic program from first year to fourth is stronger. As you probably know, NOVA uses a systems based approach while CCOM uses the traditional basic sciences 2+2 approach. We are also building a new library so that will be a nice improvement if you should choose to attend next year. As far as the other schools are concerned, it seems to be the general consenus that PCOM, KCOM, and CCOM are the top three DO schools. I have not heard good things about the Pacific school or NYCOM. But decide for yourself.

I am a MSII at CCOM and was in the similar position of having a choice between NOVA and CCOM. You are smart to ask for residency matching results from the various schools that you have been accepted to. CCOM does not distribute this (yet) but they will give it to you if you ask. Matching results will give you an idea of how the program is respected by other insitutions, how the students do on the boards, how well they do on rotations, and in short how competitive they are. You may not want to do the most competive of specialties at the most prestigious institutions, but it cant help to know that, if you wanted to, you would not be the first from your school to do so.