2023-2024 Midwestern University (Chicago, Illinois) CCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How was the interview if you were in-person? What style is it and what types of questions should you prepare for?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
+1 on the same day! sorry for the late post
M1 student here. Congrats for those who got in!
We just completed our FIRST block (very hectic one). My feedback so far
* Be ready for some rigorous testing (some times 3 on same day). Some times a 7:30AM testing. Weekly testing for OMM. This is one of the original DO schools so they take pride on OMM. They even have the "Chicago" technique on few. (You can google)
* You will have classes on the days of exams too
* Professors are very caring. Nice environment. All students are supportive of one another.
Cadaver labs are fun.
* You will hardly have any free time for anything. This is likely true for any school.
I heard about 20 students dropped out (M1) due to academic reasons (remember this is a rigorous program). Attendance is not mandatory but finding time to watch the missed class is also not easy.

You will hear that the first block is the "weed out" period from couple of professors (in a good way).

Good luck for those who got the IIs.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Members don't see this ad :)
M1 student here. Congrats for those who got in!
We just completed our FIRST block (very hectic one). My feedback so far
* Be ready for some rigorous testing (some times 3 on same day). Some times a 7:30AM testing. Weekly testing for OMM. This is one of the original DO schools so they take pride on OMM. They even have the "Chicago" technique on few. (You can google)
* You will have classes on the days of exams too
* Professors are very caring. Nice environment. All students are supportive of one another.
Cadaver labs are fun.
* You will hardly have any free time for anything. This is likely true for any school.
I heard about 20 students dropped out (M1) due to academic reasons (remember this is a rigorous program). Attendance is not mandatory but finding time to watch the missed class is also not easy.

You will hear that the first block is the "weed out" period from couple of professors (in a good way).

Good luck for those who got the IIs.

Big yikes to openly “weeding” students out. Was getting in not enough proof we can a handle rigorous academic curriculum?

Reactions: 2 users
If you want some more perspective, M3 here.

-Can confirm testing is frequent in preclinical.
-Weekly OMM "testing" is just quizzes, not tests every week. We also got 1-2 OMM quizzes dropped each quarter.
-Agree that professors are mostly great. Our class is supportive of each other.
-I had plenty of free time M1. Less so M2 with boards prep. I'd argue this varies a lot from student to student.
-IDK about the struggles of the M1 class, but our class size has gone from 209 to 211 after we gained a couple students from the class above us.

I'd disagree about first block being a "weed out" block. First block of M1 is, imo, the easiest block of all preclinical. Some of the professors just like to reinforce the typical "med school is like drinking from a fire hydrant trope" to the M1s.

We still have our gripes with admin about various issues.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Incoming first year here! Can any current or former CCOM student tell me how they managed to have any time for themselves or what their school and study schedule looked like? I saw a schedule from 2017 for the ms1 and ms2 winter quarters and I feel as if I would always be either studying or going to class. I also feel as if there’s no free time for anyone on the weekends as CCOM consistently has 2-3 exams per week and several quizzes. I’d like to think that im a very studious person but I also value my mental health more now. Thanks in advance!

Incoming first year here! Can any current or former CCOM student tell me how they managed to have any time for themselves or what their school and study schedule looked like? I saw a schedule from 2017 for the ms1 and ms2 winter quarters and I feel as if I would always be either studying or going to class. I also feel as if there’s no free time for anyone on the weekends as CCOM consistently has 2-3 exams per week and several quizzes. I’d like to think that im a very studious person but I also value my mental health more now. Thanks in advance!
I'd like to know this as well! and are the exams each week really full exams that take hours worth of time or is it shorter quizzes?

Hi! Current M1. I’d say the testing schedule here is a little too much, can be intense at times. Despite that though I definitely have free time. Most of M1 year we have Fridays off for “studying”, clinic time, whatever you want basically. I use this as my catch up day and don’t study Friday night or Saturdays. This is my preference and I’m also not the gunner type of person. I think valuing mental health is super important and it’s something as a class we have been more outspoken about! We got some tests and quizzes moved this quarter to “better” our schedule, which I thought was nice of them to move for us. The weekly OMM quizzes are annoying ( everyone hates them) but there’s nothing they can do about it ( I guess). There is good and bad, but overall I feel like I’m learning a lot and in a positive environment to do so. Yes the school definitely needs work when it comes to listening to students, but I think they are making head way. We started focus groups with admin to talk/discuss changes. I feel like my class has been super outspoken and we have changed some things. Feel free to DM me for any more questions!

Reactions: 2 users
20 M1s dropping out is WILD
Not sure where this information came from but we definitely did not have 20 people drop out. I know of two at most and one is taking a temporary leave of absence. We still have 200 signed up for our winter quarter!

Hi! Current M1. I’d say the testing schedule here is a little too much, can be intense at times. Despite that though I definitely have free time. Most of M1 year we have Fridays off for “studying”, clinic time, whatever you want basically. I use this as my catch up day and don’t study Friday night or Saturdays. This is my preference and I’m also not the gunner type of person. I think valuing mental health is super important and it’s something as a class we have been more outspoken about! We got some tests and quizzes moved this quarter to “better” our schedule, which I thought was nice of them to move for us. The weekly OMM quizzes are annoying ( everyone hates them) but there’s nothing they can do about it ( I guess). There is good and bad, but overall I feel like I’m learning a lot and in a positive environment to do so. Yes the school definitely needs work when it comes to listening to students, but I think they are making head way. We started focus groups with admin to talk/discuss changes. I feel like my class has been super outspoken and we have changed some things. Feel free to DM me for any more questions!
What supplies should we start getting? Are scrubs and a stethoscope provided/necessary?

What supplies should we start getting? Are scrubs and a stethoscope provided/necessary?
A stethoscope will be provided during orientation! You can buy scrubs, highly recommend two-four pairs because you wear them twice a week for OMM and clinical skills lab. The color for your class is Navy Blue! You have to buy scrubs in that color FYI for the mandatory class stuff.

They said that more decisions should be coming out end of next week.

A stethoscope will be provided during orientation! You can buy scrubs, highly recommend two-four pairs because you wear them twice a week for OMM and clinical skills lab. The color for your class is Navy Blue! You have to buy scrubs in that color FYI for the mandatory class stuff.
What kind did you get?

Accepted, OOS; interviewed 12/6. Will most likely be declining this A so hopefully WL peeps get this one

Heard there was a recent meeting to vote on pass/fail and we will stay on letter grades/gpa. Any current students know if this applies to all of preclinical?

Heard there was a recent meeting to vote on pass/fail and we will stay on letter grades/gpa. Any current students know if this applies to all of preclinical?
MS3 here.

Yup, pre-clinical is letter grading.

The Class of 2024 petitioned to change pre-clinical to P/F, it was shot down by admin. Admin's response is basically "we have good Comlex passing rates and overall outcomes, why should we change anything if it works." Not an actual quote, but the gist of their response.

How are ppl from 6/23 and 10/23 getting invite on the same day kinda confusing lol