NPTE - July 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gambit47

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Usually there is a forum up by now, but since I can’t find one I thought I would start one for this board exam. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Looking back at past test notification forums and FB posts, the past 2 years (at least) have been pretty consistent from what I can see---test on a Wednesday, notifications start the following Tuesday evening.

Reactions: 1 user
I called FSBPT and they said Wednesday August 1. I think this whole process is ridiculous. We should know immediately or within 24 hours, not a week. Considering how expensive this whole process is, and how computers electronically grade these tests. There has to be a more functional and effective way. We have computer phones, and cars that drive themselves but hey we can't get a test graded within 24 hours. I feel bad for the parents of PT school, and those that have families and kids to support. I am very fortunate it is just me, and I don't have any dependents. Hope everyone gets the results they earned!
They have to make sure there weren't an discrepancies, cheating, etc. going on at every single testing center in the US. Is a big legal process as well. Also have to make sure that everyone who took the exam was legally allowed to take the exam in the first place (i.e. someone signed up for the npte somehow without having had graduated, etc.). Some medical schools have to wait a month for results for their boards. Id rather it take it week and know that they combed through everything that could have gone wrong.

Reactions: 2 users
Looking back at past test notification forums and FB posts, the past 2 years (at least) have been pretty consistent from what I can see---test on a Wednesday, notifications start the following Tuesday evening.

I'm not sure why it would be tomorrow evening tbh. I've seen alot of posts saying after 9 pm, I'm assuming hey are in West Coast time zones. Do they set up their system to reveal the results right at midnight on the 1st?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure why it would be tomorrow evening tbh. I've seen alot of posts saying after 9 pm, I'm assuming hey are in West Coast time zones. Do they set up their system to reveal the results right at midnight on the 1st?

EST~ And no. I don't know why, but scores come in randomly, even within states. Here in NC, for April 2018 people found out around 6pm the Tuesday after. The April group in 2017 in our area found out the following Wed morning, but according to the forum for that exam, ppl were finding out as early as Tuesday night. But even those in the same state found out at different times it seems. The past forums on here are available~ The only thing for sure, something will happen at some time soon. Best of luck!!!!!!

EST~ And no. I don't know why, but scores come in randomly, even within states. Here in NC, for April 2018 people found out around 6pm the Tuesday after. The April group in 2017 in our area found out the following Wed morning, but according to the forum for that exam, ppl were finding out as early as Tuesday night. But even those in the same state found out at different times it seems. The past forums on here are available~ The only thing for sure, something will happen at some time soon. Best of luck!!
EST~ And no. I don't know why, but scores come in randomly, even within states. Here in NC, for April 2018 people found out around 6pm the Tuesday after. The April group in 2017 in our area found out the following Wed morning, but according to the forum for that exam, ppl were finding out as early as Tuesday night. But even those in the same state found out at different times it seems. The past forums on here are available~ The only thing for sure, something will happen at some time soon. Best of luck!!!!!!

Thank you and best of luck to you as well! I don't mean to ask so many questions lol. The fear that I tried as hard as I could and it still just wasn't enough is starting to weigh me down. It seems like that's what everyone is feeling right now and that's why we're all so stressed about when results will be up! I sincerely hope that this test has the highest pass rate of all time and that everyone gets good news!!

Reactions: 3 users
Haven't been on here in two or three years. Finally remembered my account info.

Took the NPTE last Wednesday. Wanted to post here for the purpose of providing data for future students.

My school has a great pass rate for the NPTE and basically said all we needed to study was O'Sullivan. Just to be safe, I bought Scorebuilders as well. I read O'Sullivan cover to cover, twice. Made a ton of flash cards. I did all of the review questions, and used Scorebulders to supplement O'Sullivan as well as answer the Scorebuilders review questions. Took all three exams from each book.

O'Sullivan: A) 59% (took this cold without any prep prior to studying) B) 75% C) 70%

Scorebuilders: A) 64% B) 66% C) 70%

For what it's worth, I had a much tougher time with Scorebuilders. Probably because I mainly studied from O'Sullivan. Scorebuilders seemed way more nitpicky to me and I did not find it quite as helpful. Overall I thought O'Sullivan did a better job simulating the NPTE. After each exam I studied all of the questions/rationales.

I also took the PEAT.

Practice Form: 77% (640/800 converted)

Retired NPTE: 80% (681/800 converted) (took about 10 days out from the NPTE).

Thought the retired was relatively easy and felt extremely confident going into the NPTE.

I was wrong. Thought that the NPTE was incredibly difficult and far more difficult than most of the practice exams. Felt comparable to O'Sullivan in difficulty. I don't feel comfortable getting into more detail than that, but man...I did not feel great leaving the test center last week. Like...physically ill. Part of me thinks I must have passed because I know the statistics that go along with passing the PEAT, but another part of me knows that test was absurd. I won't be shocked either way. Tough to tell what is going to happen.

Praying things work out. I am moving to a different state at the end of this week. I have my dream job lined up, which I lose if I fail. I don't know what I will do if I don't pass. I am very scared. Ready to find out results ASAP.

Reactions: 1 users
Will we get an email when scores have been posted? Or... should I keep refreshing the fsbpt page?
I don't think we get an email until a few days after the pass or fail is sent out. So simply...I'm refreshing this page until then just to avoid looking at my actual score come up without warning...just in case I need to throw something and cry..

Looking back at it the NPTE has the Bitter sweet feeling to it.
this july exam was my first time taking it and i hope for the best for everyone.
For those taking the exam for the 2nd 3rd or even 4th time, don’t lose heart.

prepping for this exam i didnt really know how to start or a plan for that matter. I joined the 2 day class hosted by therapy Ed but i thought that it was not necessarily, except for the small book they gave summarizing the O sullivan book.

Read O Sul cover to cover and averaged 75% on 3 exams
got 55% on the PT final frontier exam (not my best)
average 80% on the scorebuilder exams

then re read O’ sul another time and the scorebuilder flashcards by system and took the NPTE prep app tests by system

took PEAT exams and scored avg. of 80% on both

bottomline:
going in to the NPTE you just need CONFIDENCE and perform to the best of your ability.

Haven't been on here in two or three years. Finally remembered my account info.

Took the NPTE last Wednesday. Wanted to post here for the purpose of providing data for future students.

My school has a great pass rate for the NPTE and basically said all we needed to study was O'Sullivan. Just to be safe, I bought Scorebuilders as well. I read O'Sullivan cover to cover, twice. Made a ton of flash cards. I did all of the review questions, and used Scorebulders to supplement O'Sullivan as well as answer the Scorebuilders review questions. Took all three exams from each book.

O'Sullivan: A) 59% (took this cold without any prep prior to studying) B) 75% C) 70%

Scorebuilders: A) 64% B) 66% C) 70%

For what it's worth, I had a much tougher time with Scorebuilders. Probably because I mainly studied from O'Sullivan. Scorebuilders seemed way more nitpicky to me and I did not find it quite as helpful. Overall I thought O'Sullivan did a better job simulating the NPTE. After each exam I studied all of the questions/rationales.

I also took the PEAT.

Practice Form: 77% (640/800 converted)

Retired NPTE: 80% (681/800 converted) (took about 10 days out from the NPTE).

Thought the retired was relatively easy and felt extremely confident going into the NPTE.

I was wrong. Thought that the NPTE was incredibly difficult and far more difficult than most of the practice exams. Felt comparable to O'Sullivan in difficulty. I don't feel comfortable getting into more detail than that, but man...I did not feel great leaving the test center last week. Like...physically ill. Part of me thinks I must have passed because I know the statistics that go along with passing the PEAT, but another part of me knows that test was absurd. I won't be shocked either way. Tough to tell what is going to happen.

Praying things work out. I am moving to a different state at the end of this week. I have my dream job lined up, which I lose if I fail. I don't know what I will do if I don't pass. I am very scared. Ready to find out results ASAP.

so true. where do they come up with these exam questions

what helped me through the exam was finding ways to smile...
I drew a smiley face on my board
“you got this”

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm honestly not surprised to hear this. I was very skeptical about results being released tonight. After taking the test last week, it was very apparent to me that the test was designed to be tricky and difficult. My instinct tells me they did that for a reason. It benefits them financially to make the test tricky and lower pass rates. They profit $400 from each examinee every time they test. It makes them more money if we fail unfortunately than if we pass. Once I figured this out, I realized that they are not on the side of the students, so why do us a favor like release results early? I know that sounds very pessimistic but that's what's been rattling around in my head since sitting for the exam and explains why they would make the actual exam so much different than the PEATs they had us purchase for $100 to prepare us. This whole thing feels like one big money grab to me.
I heard from a colleague of mine that they make the exams harder every year cause current DPTs/PTs ,who have been working in the field for years, think fresh grads are really stupid.

Guarantee you that there are 20 year post-grads who wouldn’t have stood a chance on that exam. Especially if the retired PEAT was any indication. I just want to know what I made already..

I heard from a colleague of mine that they make the exams harder every year cause current DPTs/PTs ,who have been working in the field for years, think fresh grads are really stupid.
Well if they tried to make me question myself whether I am stupid or not..they succeeded haha

Reactions: 1 users
Well if they tried to make me question myself whether I am stupid or not..they succeeded haha

Haha seriously I came out of there like wait did I really just sit in for a PT exam ... my guessing game better have been on point . Would’ve been lovely if they had every answer weighted that way if u were between 2 at least u wouldn’t get it fully wrong

Did you have questions with X-ray/CT/ MRI images? What about EKG? And what about modalities settings (like ionophoresis, US, TENs)? How many of those questions did you have? I am trying to figure out how much time I should spend on reviewing/relearning that stuff.

anything and everything under the sun is what i could say. just take practice exams and study on topics/questions you keeps getting mistakes on.

then re evaluate by taking more exams to see if you are improving

read o sul therapy Ed then take exam every two weeks A,B C

then get scorebuilder and take exam every week

you can then do PEAT for the remaining two weeks before exam

what practice exams usually do besides assessing where you stand is that they tell you what usually is a high yield topic

Does anyone else's FSBPT page say "results received" but you don't have a pass/fail score yet? I feel like I'm going to puke right now.

Interesting, so I haven't seen anything change on my screen and I live in Arizona. But I was thinking that they probably did things alphabetical by state so that makes sense! I wouldn't worry I bet it will tell you pass/fail very soon.

Based on the previous exams most of the people i know who took the exam in guam got their results first prolly because they are 13 hours ahead of us when they took the test.

It feels like a sick joke. "Hey, we have your results, but you can't have them"

Could you ever call and try to talk to someone on the phone?

Also, what does it look like when it changed but theres no results? Like, the box is checked but there's nothing to click?

Yeah it made me feel worse lol. I wish I didn’t check yet.

I really don't think it has anything to do with pass/fail. It just has to do with how they are putting scores into the system. I would save yourself the panic attack until the first person says they either passed/failed. If it helps I use the 4-7-8 breathing technique when I feel panicked. Breath in slow and deep through your nose for 4 seconds, hold that breathe for 7 seconds, blow the air gently out of your mouth with your tongue behind your front teeth so you make a 'woosh' sound. It should help calm your anxiety.

I had my score withheld last January. Im a 2nd taker.
Hi all, first time poster here. I just received a “Score Withheld” on FSBPT site and needed to complete a survey. The questions were basically asking what resources I used, and about understanding the NPTE handbook. After completing the survey it says I’ll be notified within 10 business days of my score, but may take up to 30 days. Does anybody have any idea what this may mean?

I took and failed the exam in April with a very low score of 489. I was going through a very personal hardship during the months leading up to the exam and wasn’t studying to my full potential, along with practicing with a temporary license for 30 hours a week (which was basically 40 hours due to an excess of writing evals and notes. I got professional help with my personal circumstances, and got myself healthy again. I took time off from working at my clinic and studied rigorously for 6-8 hours per day, took Scorebuilders, O’Sullivan Therapy Ed, and PEAT practice exams and did average on all, performing best on the retired PEAT.

I’m very confused as to what this may mean having my score withheld, so I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of this and what it means? I 100% did not cheat in any way. Studied alone, using my own materials d study guides from school, along with PT 365 app and Content Master app from Scorebuilders.
I had my score withheld last January. Sometimes they withold your score due to a really high score that you managed to get on your attempt now or sometimes its just a random thing fsbpt does.

Hi all, first time poster here. I just received a “Score Withheld” on FSBPT site and needed to complete a survey. The questions were basically asking what resources I used, and about understanding the NPTE handbook. After completing the survey it says I’ll be notified within 10 business days of my score, but may take up to 30 days. Does anybody have any idea what this may mean?

I took and failed the exam in April with a very low score of 489. I was going through a very personal hardship during the months leading up to the exam and wasn’t studying to my full potential, along with practicing with a temporary license for 30 hours a week (which was basically 40 hours due to an excess of writing evals and notes. I got professional help with my personal circumstances, and got myself healthy again. I took time off from working at my clinic and studied rigorously for 6-8 hours per day, took Scorebuilders, O’Sullivan Therapy Ed, and PEAT practice exams and did average on all, performing best on the retired PEAT.

I’m very confused as to what this may mean having my score withheld, so I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of this and what it means? I 100% did not cheat in any way. Studied alone, using my own materials d study guides from school, along with PT 365 app and Content Master app from Scorebuilders.
You might have done “too well” according to your score jump . But no worries !

Currently in ND and no results have come. I am extremely nervous about the exam. That exam was very tough. Hoping we all did well!

What other people have said is correct-- this often means that your score has improved a good deal and so they're "making sure" you didn't cheat. A big increase in score makes sense given the fact that you studied 6-8 hours a day, among other things. And like someone else already said, sometimes the witholding really does seem to be "random".
I'm in VA with no change on my FSBPT "results received" status.

Currently in ND and no results have come. I am extremely nervous about the exam. That exam was very tough. Hoping we all did well!

Me too im getting really nervous and my hands are literally shaking. It should be out in a few hours..

the-wait-is-unbearable.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
I felt good walking out. But I think it was only because a) I couldn't believe it was over and b) I somehow kept my calm throughout the exam. But talking to everyone else and them saying over and over again how hard it was made me realize I think I blacked out during the exam hahaha. And now I'm panicking. It could go either way!!!

SAAAAME!