NPTE - July 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gambit47

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Usually there is a forum up by now, but since I can’t find one I thought I would start one for this board exam. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody have a link to a spreadsheet? Usually somebody posts the states that have been received.

Seems like the link wont work in here. Just go to PT Final Frontier on facebook page. Most states began rolling out the result. But nothing yet for NY.

Reactions: 1 user

I passed!! Good luck everyone! I felt awful about the exam. I did fairly well on all the practice exams, but nothing that made me think I had a guarantee pass.
The exam was way out of left field. I didn’t see how it really related to what most PTs would do on a daily basis, but I passed.
You will too! If you put in the work, you’ll get it guys!! Good luck to everyone!!

I passed!! Good luck everyone! I felt awful about the exam. I did fairly well on all the practice exams, but nothing that made me think I had a guarantee pass.
The exam was way out of left field. I didn’t see how it really related to what most PTs would do on a daily basis, but I passed.
You will too! If you put in the work, you’ll get it guys!! Good luck to everyone!!

Congrats to everyone who has passed!!! did you take it on Tuesday or Wednesday?

Hi all! I’m new posting here but I also passed in Texas!! Congrats to all that have passed and those who did not, do not lose hope!! You will get it next time!

Members don't see this ad :)
I PASSED!! Hot damn. And tbh I didn’t pass a single practice test. PEATs: 598/599. I also didn’t study before either due to my intense clinical Scorebuilders: 68/72.5/74.5.
I used Basecamp to walk me through the entire book but leaving the test I didn’t think I stood a chance of passing the exam. Heads up people!

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats guys! Took it last April finally passed! Just waiting for license endorsement for PA..

Passed in NJ! I took it Tuesday AM.
For future test takers, here is the order I took the practice tests:
Scorebuilders 6 months before the exam (Offered through my school): 73%
TherapyEd Exam A 6 weeks: 69% - went in with no studying
Therapy Ed Exam B: 76.5%
PEAT Retired Form: 88% - 714 scale score
Therapy Ed Exam C: 74.5%
PEAT Practice Form: 83% - 726 scale score

This past week, I literally felt like I failed the entire time so please don't lose faith! The NPTE was way harder than any of the practice tests I took so just prepare to feel like you failed (I know everyone says that).

Good luck to those still waiting!

Passed in NJ! I took it Tuesday AM.
For future test takers, here is the order I took the practice tests:
Scorebuilders 6 months before the exam (Offered through my school): 73%
TherapyEd Exam A 6 weeks: 69% - went in with no studying
Therapy Ed Exam B: 76.5%
PEAT Retired Form: 88% - 714 scale score
Therapy Ed Exam C: 74.5%
PEAT Practice Form: 83% - 726 scale score

This past week, I literally felt like I failed the entire time so please don't lose faith! The NPTE was way harder than any of the practice tests I took so just prepare to feel like you failed (I know everyone says that).

Good luck to those still waiting!

Awesome wow you nailed it like really beat it with flying colors! CONGRATS!

Passed in AZ!!!! Good luck everyone. I never passed any of the retired PEATs (hence why I was scared to death) but I still made it! Best of luck to everyone!!

Passed in NY! I hope everyone got the results they wanted. Its worth every sweat we had during the exam!

I don't see the link on NPTE Frontier page, just a post that they plan to put out a link. Do you have to join to see it? Or can someone link the post, please? Thank you for all the updates and congrats to all!

I left the exam feeling I totally failed. I have been stressing over this exam for 6 months, and I passed it on my first try!

My test scores in the order I took them:

Scorebuilders A(2 weeks of studying): 61%
TherapyEd A: 59%
Scorebuilders B: 67.5%
PEAT retired (3.5 weeks out): 582
TherapyEd B(2 weeks out): 72%
PEAT practice (10 days out): 648
PT final frontier exam(5 days out): 650

As you can see my scores are not that great. I was going absolutely crazy these past few weeks since my exam scores were not that good compared to many on this forum. But I still stuck with it. I hope it can be helpful for anyone taking it in the future.

Last edited:
For future test takers, I studied 3 months and used Scorebuilders. I bought the O’Sullivan book as well but only used it for the practice exams.

Here are the orders and scores of my tests:

1. Scorebuilders Exam #1 66%
2. O’Sullivan Exam #1 56.5%
3. Scorebuilders Exam #2 67%
4. O’ Sullivan Exam #2 70%
5. Retired PEAT (2.5 weeks out) 71% (550 scale)
6. Practice PEAT (5 days out) 75% (660 scale)

I was worried because I only passed the Practice PEAT. I didn’t take the last SB or O’Sullivam exams due to time constraints. I would say that I learned more from reviewing the O’Sullivan exams compared to SB.

For future test takers, I studied 3 months and used Scorebuilders. I bought the O’Sullivan book as well but only used it for the practice exams.

Here are the orders and scores of my tests:

1. Scorebuilders Exam #1 66%
2. O’Sullivan Exam #1 56.5%
3. Scorebuilders Exam #2 67%
4. O’ Sullivan Exam #2 70%
5. Retired PEAT (2.5 weeks out) 71% (550 scale)
6. Practice PEAT (5 days out) 75% (660 scale)

I was worried because I only passed the Practice PEAT. I didn’t take the last SB or O’Sullivam exams due to time constraints. I would say that I learned more from reviewing the O’Sullivan exams compared to SB.
I also bought the NPTE app and used it to quiz myself after I finished a particular section. For example, after I finished neuro in the SB book, I would quiz myself on neuro using the NPTE app.

Also, I think reviewing the tests is almost as important, if not more important, than studying from the books. It helps you understand which topics get asked the most and the logic behind answers.

Also took it on Tuesday, passed in Michigan! if anyone has any questions about how I studied and wants any study tips, I may not be the smartest guy, but I'd love to help anyway I can! Hoping and praying we all passed!

Congrats everyone!! Could you share how your studying and study tips??

Failed in SoCal, took Tuesday Morning. Congratulations to those who passed it! \(^▽^)/

if anyone has any questions about how I studied and wants any study tips, I may not be the smartest guy, but I'd love to help anyway I can! Hoping and praying we all passed!

Yes please!

Foreign Educated, but from the US.

Kind of lost on what to study and how to approach it now. Could anyone offer advice if i should try again in October/January (depending on the allowed procedure for foreign educated students, eligibility on FSBPT says I am ineligible to take October at the moment) or go to a tDPT/ppDPT program that doesn't require a license (e.g. Loma Linda Univ)?

But these are my scores throughout my review history

1. Scorebuilders Exam #1 54% (Taken January 2018)
2. Scorebuilders Exam #2 57% (Taken April 2018)
3. Scorebuilders Exam #3 92.5% (Taken 1st week of July 2018)
4. O’Sullivan Exam #1 67% (Taken January 2018)
5 O’Sullivan Exam #2 74% (Taken May 2018)
6. O'Sullivan Exam #3 89% (Taken 1st week of July 2018)

Practice PEAT (1st week of July 2018) 68% (531 scale)
Retired PEAT (7 days before) 76% (664 scale)

I felt like I was at a disadvantage going into the exam, a Bachelor of PT going into a Doctor of PT exam from the get-go and the pass rate (93% US vs 39% Foreign) but from what the review books and PEAT scores told me, my self-review, with help from others from time to time paid off. I started reviewing since January with TherapyEd's Course Manual. Then in April I added TherapyEd's NPTE Review and Scorebuilder's NPTE Review. And when I'm not reviewing i used iOS NPTE apps to keep me in tune outside (e.g. Quick 10 questions on PocketPrep) Felt confident going in, felt destroyed coming out. What hurts me the most right now (besides breaking the news to family) is my July practice exams including PEAT were relatively well. What happened on the exam?

Last edited:
This really helped me when I was studying:

Here are my practice exam scores:
Therapy ed A: 65%
Therapy ed B: 74%
Scorebuilders online advantage: 69%
Retired PEAT: 84% (2.5 weeks out)
Therapy ed C: 72%
Practice PEAT: 75% (1 week out)

I reviewed all of my questions, even the questions I got correct, that helped me the most. I was really honest with myself about whether I actually knew the answer or I guessed. I also purchased the independent study course for PT final exam (It's not cheap though). I found the videos to be really helpful! I intended to do their work book... but I got married this summer and just didn't have time. I didn't study based upon system, I studied based upon weaknesses. I would set daily goals to go over, such as: special tests, EKGs, lab values, metabolic disorders. I also only made handwritten notes, as opposed to typing my notes, and I drew a lot of pictures. About a week before the exam I gave my binder of handwritten notes to my husband and had him quiz me for about 30 minutes to an hour every night. I really liked the NPTE pocket prep app and the scorebuilders app too! I don't know if these methods will work for everyone, but if you're stuck, take a practice exam and figure out your weaknesses and work from there. Be really honest with yourself about what your weaknesses are, don't waste time studying what you already know.
Hope this helps someone, good luck to all the future test takers!

Failed in SoCal, took Tuesday Morning. Congratulations to those who passed it! \(^▽^)/

Yes please!

Kind of lost on what to study and how to approach it now. Could anyone offer advice if i should try again in October/January (depending on the allowed procedure for foreign educated students, eligibility on FSBPT says I am ineligible to take October at the moment) or go to a tDPT/ppDPT program that doesn't require a license (e.g. Loma Linda Univ)?

I felt like I was at a disadvantage going into the exam, a Bachelor of PT going into a Doctor of PT exam from the get-go and the pass rate (93% US vs 39% Foreign) but from what the review books and PEAT scores told me, my self-review, with help from others from time to time paid off. I started reviewing since January with TherapyEd's Course Manual. Then in April I added TherapyEd's NPTE Review and Scorebuilder's NPTE Review. And when I'm not reviewing i used iOS NPTE apps to keep me in tune outside (e.g. Quick 10 questions on PocketPrep) Felt confident going in, felt destroyed coming out. What hurts me the most right now (besides breaking the news to family) is my July practice exams including PEAT were relatively well. What happened on the exam?

Just curious--how much experience do you have in American clinics? One thing that really paid off for me on some questions was not the book studying, but experiences in clinic as an aid and during rotations where I had to make similar decisions. I also did one rotation abroad. I found it different enough to say that maybe exposure to clinics in the US could be helpful? Maybe if you can do any shadowing/aid work to get exposure and attach what you are studying to hands on experience within the system you are testing for? I hope that is helpful, and best of luck to you for what you are taking on! Brave.

Passed!

Our school required us to take practice exams during our senior rotations. The exams cover different systems such as MS, cardio, neuro, peds, and lympathetic. Each exam covered one specific system and was provided at intervals. We were required to score a 60% or above or else we have to retake the exam. Most people do some light studying including myself. I had purchased the scorebuilders book and NPTE app to assist me in studying. Before we were allowed to graduate we had to take a prep course and pass a retired PEAT. I had completed the scorebuilders book prior to taking the retired PEAT. After graduation, I study from O'Sullivan almost exclusively. My scores were as followed:

#1: retired PEAT (MAY) 77%
#2: scorebuilders (Early June) 67%
#3 scorebuilders (Mid June) 72%
#4 scorebuilders (Late June) 76.5%
#5 O'Sullivan (Early July) 72%
#6 O'Sullivan (Mid July) 82%
#7 Practice PEAT (1 week before the exam) 76.5
#8 O'Sullivan (3 days before the exam) 72.5%

After each practice exam, I would review each question whether they are right or wrong.

I almost ran out of time on the NPTE and was not able to take a break during the last three sessions. I would recommend that you up with a strategy for timing yourself. I walked out of the exam not feeling too horrible. I felt like it could have gone either way. I had a few questions that I was not sure about. I looked them up and it did not calm the nerve.

I was also job searching before the exam. I think if I were to do it again I would have held off until after the exam. It was very stressful preparing for interviews. Of course, if there is a job that fits you then you should go for it. But otherwise, you are not likely to have a hard time finding a job. If anyone have any questions I am more than willing to help. Congrats to those that passed the NPTE.

Usually there is a forum up by now, but since I can’t find one I thought I would start one for this board exam. Thoughts?

Sorry not sure how to make my own post on this thread so I’m replying to yours , just found out I failed with 570. Anyone have an idea of how many questions I missed from getting a 600? Thanks

I also forgot to mention I did a few online tutoring sessions with a great tutor who helped me strategize on how to study and gave me confidence in passing the boards. PM me if you want the tutors info!

Passed in PA! Found out around 5:15! I really thought I failed...honestly had 25-30 questions I knew I got wrong! People are serious when they say you’re gonna feel like you failed but really didn’t! Have faith!

Found out about 5:15pm in GA that I passed.

I studied around 10 hours a week for two weeks, 25 hours a week for 4 weeks.

Therapyed A: 62% (10 days out)
NPTE retired: 613 (3 days out from exam)

Thought I failed. Glad I didn’t. Haven’t heard of anyone from my program failing so far this time. Best of luck to everyone!

I passed!! Took the exam in Chicago on Tuesday morning!! Thank God! I got a 652 and then a 672 on the PEATs and felt that they were fair! But this exam was TOUGH!! Studied for a little under 8 weeks, 5 days of the week Time to get a job

Just curious--how much experience do you have in American clinics? One thing that really paid off for me on some questions was not the book studying, but experiences in clinic as an aid and during rotations where I had to make similar decisions. I also did one rotation abroad. I found it different enough to say that maybe exposure to clinics in the US could be helpful? Maybe if you can do any shadowing/aid work to get exposure and attach what you are studying to hands on experience within the system you are testing for? I hope that is helpful, and best of luck to you for what you are taking on! Brave.

Since you can't live without a salary, I've actually been a PT Aide in 3 private clinics/hospital. Clinic A is primarily Musculoskeletal since the adjacent clinic is an orthopedic clinic, direct referral. Clinic B is primarily Musculoskeletal but has a somewhat in a load of neuro-geria, neuro-pedia, women's health patients too. Clinic C is a OPD department hospital catering to mainly musculoskeletal who since I've a BS degree, I also work in IPD with SubAcute rehab and MedSurg rehab. SubAcute is for the most part neuro with the exception of a few musculo. MedSurg is all patients from pedia to geria, Musculo, neuro, endocrine, a full platter.

Being a PT Aide definitely helped with understanding the material, just it does confuse me when i come across questions on the review exams that attack critical thinking: what was done in the workplace does not equate to the answer for review exams and vice verse.

Yes please!

If I were to guess based on everything you've explained, it sounds to me like it was test anxiety. Did you feel yourself getting very nervous during the test? I could not seem to get my PEAT scores to improve and was stuck at scores of 595 and 598. After thoroughly reviewing my correct and incorrect answers, I realized that I was anxious, overanalyzing, rushing, and not trusting my instincts. I believe what also helped me was drilling the fundamentals repeatedly. Dermatomes, myotomes, sci, strokes/arteries of the brain, brachial plexus, reflexes, fundamentals of pediatrics. Brain dump all of this information on to your scratch paper before you answer the first question so you can use it throughout the test. I wrote thorough online flashcards based on the content of the practice exam. Quizzed myself with apps like NPTE pocket prep. Look for patterns when reviewing PEAT exams, that is the key to improving scores. You've got to figure out why you missed what you missed but also why you got questions right. Therapyexamprep has some good strategies for improving test taking skills. I bought a video on avoiding exam mistakes for $40 but I'm very confident it helped me reach a passing score despite my disappointing PEAT scores.

Does anyone know how long it takes to be cleared when results are being withheld? Hoping this is a good sign that I scored significantly higher than in April. This EXTRA waiting is driving me mad!