NPTE - July 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gambit47

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Usually there is a forum up by now, but since I can’t find one I thought I would start one for this board exam. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I thought it was a lot harder than both PEATs. It’s crazy how much more difficult they are making these tests. I’m pretty nervous about the results

I felt the exam was very difficult. I had studied O'Sullivan/Scorebuilders like mad, vigorously reviewed my PEAT exams, even the questions I had correct I studied the rationales, used NPTE pocketprep. I had my entire scratch paper/board filled with important concepts for each topic covered on the multiple practice tests I took. And that test still smacked the s#$t out of me for 5 hour's straight........

I thought it was extremely hard! I feel like I definitely failed. It was way harder than both the PEATs and I got over 680 on both of them. I studied from the TherapyEd book and got in the 70s on all those practice test and I thought the NPTE was way harder.

Members don't see this ad :)
Completely agree!! Much more difficult then any practice exam I took and I'm sick to my stomach thinking I failed ☹️

Usually there is a forum up by now, but since I can’t find one I thought I would start one for this board exam. Thoughts?
Thought the retired PEAT was pretty easy and straight forward. Got high 80s without even going back to review answers. The practice PEAT was a little more difficult but reasonable! Also passed well above the minimum. But the NPTE ... I walked out not knowing what I was hit with! So many random questions of very specific things. I thought the wording was super round-a-bout & at times i wasnt sure what the question was even asking. My critique for the FSBPT is that they shouldn’t offer $100 practice materials that mislead you to think the test will be as simple. I was panicking before taking the PEAT because I did just “okay” on the scorebuilders and O’sullivan (70s) but after doing the PEAT exams I felt at ease knowing even the lower end of my projected scores were well above passing. I also had a few questions on things I have never come across in 3 years of school or all my studies.. don’t know if anyone else got that vibe. *rant over*

I also had a few questions on things I have never come across in 3 years of school or all my studies.. don’t know if anyone else got that vibe. *rant over*

I definitely got the same vibe. I also agree that the PEATs may have given many people a false sense of confidence and we're not an accurate representatation of what content to expect on the test. Obviously I have to be careful not to give anything away but I also had a difficult time with the wording of multiple questions as well. Ive been asking myself how that exam measures entry level competence. In my opinion much of the content and the level of difficulty seemed more advanced than entry level. And that's my rant hahaha

I felt the exam was very difficult. I had studied O'Sullivan/Scorebuilders like mad, vigorously reviewed my PEAT exams, even the questions I had correct I studied the rationales, used NPTE pocketprep. I had my entire scratch paper/board filled with important concepts for each topic covered on the multiple practice tests I took. And that test still smacked the s#$t out of me for 5 hour's straight........

Yeah the NPTE is usually twisted and very much different from tge PEAT. I call it the craziest exam ever..

I hate to spread rumors but I’ve been seeing things on various facebook groups claiming that our projected pass score for the July NPTE is going to be around 136 (as in 136 correct items). I’m not sure where these claims are coming from but can anyone back that? also, anyone know when we may hear back at the earliest? I’m going crazy and literally cannot think about anything else.

I hate to spread rumors but I’ve been seeing things on various facebook groups claiming that our projected pass score for the July NPTE is going to be around 136 (as in 136 correct items). I’m not sure where these claims are coming from but can anyone back that? also, anyone know when we may hear back at the earliest? I’m going crazy and literally cannot think about anything else.

136 was April’s passing rate apparnelty ours will be 2-4 questions higher from what I heard . The test was so out there and was more difficult then it needed to be .

Where are you guys getting this info about scoring?
And I completely agree with everyone. I felt like there were a lot of really random questions that I wasn't prepared for.

Where are you guys getting this info about scoring?
And I completely agree with everyone. I felt like there were a lot of really random questions that I wasn't prepared for.
From multiple PT teachers like final frontier and will crane .

Reactions: 1 user
Did every one feel horrible about this test? I actually felt okay leaving the exam. There were of course quite a few questions I wasnt sure about but i feel confident I passed. Keep the hope everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's just so hard to say. On a short exam I'm able to say how many I guessed on so I can feel what my score range will be. This exam makes it impossible because 50 questions are not scored and we don't know which those are. Plus, after so many questions, I lost count of how many I had to guess on. It felt like a lot to me.

My experience so far, maybe this will help clear up somethings.... I’ve taken this test 4 times.
July 2017: 598 132/200 passing score 134
October 2017: 598 132/200 passing score 134
April 2018: 587 131/200 passing score 136
July test: I had at least 3 questions that didn’t match the pictures/wording (they contradicted each other) seriously this test is a racket.

My experience so far, maybe this will help clear up somethings.... I’ve taken this test 4 times.
July 2017: 598 132/200 passing score 134
October 2017: 598 132/200 passing score 134
April 2018: 587 131/200 passing score 136
July test: I had at least 3 questions that didn’t match the pictures/wording (they contradicted each other) seriously this test is a racket.

How did you do on your practice ones/which ones did you take?

I can’t remember my exact scores but I smashed the PEAT and practice PEAT (80 plus percentiles) passed all the scorebuilders 140’s plus

Wow, it really is so crazy how different the PEAT was to the real thing because I was the same way. They should really update the retired form to a more recent version to allow us to practice at a similar difficulty level

136 was April’s passing rate apparnelty ours will be 2-4 questions higher from what I heard . The test was so out there and was more difficult then it needed to be .
when you say 2-4 questions higher, do you mean 138-140 to pass? or 132-134 to pass?

I felt good walking out. But I think it was only because a) I couldn't believe it was over and b) I somehow kept my calm throughout the exam. But talking to everyone else and them saying over and over again how hard it was made me realize I think I blacked out during the exam hahaha. And now I'm panicking. It could go either way!!!

What is everyone doing in the meantime to keep from going crazy? :whistle:

Distraction, find something fun to do and take your mind off of it. It's been really helping me to remind myself that life isn't about passing/not passing tests. Yes if I failed I will be upset and I will have to wait another three months but what can I really do about it now? Worrying yourself sick won't make the scores show up any faster. Be kind to yourself and take some time to do hobbies and things you enjoy. Try not to catastrophize or put yourself into a panic. From what I have heard it's rather normal to feel like you failed the npte but alot of people end up passing. So just eat well, pray, exercise and have some fun in the meantime

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone else counting the questions they got wrong? I hate that keep looking up answers while I wait for the results...its a terrible downward spiral!

Distraction, find something fun to do and take your mind off of it. It's been really helping me to remind myself that life isn't about passing/not passing tests. Yes if I failed I will be upset and I will have to wait another three months but what can I really do about it now? Worrying yourself sick won't make the scores show up any faster. Be kind to yourself and take some time to do hobbies and things you enjoy. Try not to catastrophize or put yourself into a panic. From what I have heard it's rather normal to feel like you failed the npte but alot of people end up passing. So just eat well, pray, exercise and have some fun in the meantime

I need to be more like this! Thanks for the encouragement :)

Anyone else counting the questions they got wrong? I hate that keep looking up answers while I wait for the results...its a terrible downward spiral!

I’m the same way, definitely up to at least 20-26. Only thing keeping me hanging on is the possibility that some of them are the 50 that get thrown out.

While there were definitely some odd balls in there, overall I know I walked out feeling pretty decent about the test. I think that may have been because I went in so mentally prepared to get wrecked that when I knew the answers to a decent number of questions it was a relief. Right now I'm taking comfort in the statistics, that passing the PEAT before taking the test puts it at high odds that I passed, and that taking a Scorebuilders course (apparently taking that course has a 97% first-time pass rate success according to the therapist that taught it) should have also boosted my odds. I know there's always outliers to statistical odds, but I've found a lot of calm in reminding myself that my preparation points to a successful outcome and I know a lot of you here have taken similar steps to forward yourself towards success. I know a lot of people are freaking out right now, so I wanted to pass along what's currently keeping me together if my mind starts to wander to questions I was unsure of.

I’m the same way, definitely up to at least 20-26. Only thing keeping me hanging on is the possibility that some of them are the 50 that get thrown out.
Lol yeah I’m counting as well. I have around 25-30 that I’m pretty sure are wrong and 20 that I’m 50/50 about

Same...some of the ones I am unsure about I looked up and ended up getting right which should make me feel better but I just keep thinking anout the ones I know I got wrong...
I know what you mean. I keep dwelling on the dumb ones I got wrong cuz I over thought the question and am worried I failed the test because of those 2-3 questions

I know what you mean. I keep dwelling on the dumb ones I got wrong cuz I over thought the question and am worried I failed the test because of those 2-3 questions
Agreed! Sadly some of the ones I have looked up, I still don’t have a conclusive answer on. Because although I thought my answers made sense, they may have not been the “BEST” or “MOST CRITICAL” choices. Damn you NPTE for making me question everything. :diebanana:

I was in the zone during the exam and I felt really confident. I took 4 breaks even with the time running. I walked out feeling okay but now that the results are getting nearer, I find myself feeling so nervous. I'd wake up and I'd recall some questions and I'm just like "damn it I knew it!". I don't want to take this again. It's harder than practice exams and I find that I wasted money buying them because it didnt help at all. Short quizzes and short reviews helped me more. And idk if you guys know Dr. Kyle Rice? But he is amazing in coaching DPTs and PTs for the exam. I just hope it worked out well for me.

Yeah the NPTE is usually twisted and very much different from tge PEAT. I call it the craziest exam ever..
I agree! Some questions were just so vague that I stared at it for a while then gave up and chose an answer and moved on.

Did you have questions with X-ray/CT/ MRI images? What about EKG? And what about modalities settings (like ionophoresis, US, TENs)? How many of those questions did you have? I am trying to figure out how much time I should spend on reviewing/relearning that stuff.

Did you have questions with X-ray/CT/ MRI images? What about EKG? And what about modalities settings (like ionophoresis, US, TENs)? How many of those questions did you have? I am trying to figure out how much time I should spend on reviewing/relearning that stuff.
Get out of here.

Reactions: 2 users
W
It's illegal to share what's on the PEAT and NPTE.

Reactions: 3 users
Please do not share any information that was on the test in this forum. This is only for communication on when scores post and to help vent. I know we’re getting close to scores coming out so please stay positive and I wish the best outcome for everyone!

Please do not share any information that was on the test in this forum. This is only for communication on when scores post and to help vent. I know we’re getting close to scores coming out so please stay positive and I wish the best outcome for everyone!
Do we know if Monday after 9 pm or Tuesday at 6 am status should be up?

As others mentioned, reproduction of copyrighted material is a violation of TOS. Don't ask for it, don't post it.

Reactions: 1 users
I called FSBPT and they said Wednesday August 1. I think this whole process is ridiculous. We should know immediately or within 24 hours, not a week. Considering how expensive this whole process is, and how computers electronically grade these tests. There has to be a more functional and effective way. We have computer phones, and cars that drive themselves but hey we can't get a test graded within 24 hours. I feel bad for the parents of PT school, and those that have families and kids to support. I am very fortunate it is just me, and I don't have any dependents. Hope everyone gets the results they earned!

Occupy your time, there’s nothing we can do about the wait. It’s out of our hands. I took it Wednesday, July 25th in VA. I was told that results will be in on Tuesday (which is tmrw). But if not, my time is occupied. For those who are down about the potential score. Just Trust God throughout this process. We have done everything we were supposed to do up until this point. Now it’s time to have faith. I’m sure everything will work out in His timing. Just believe, and not doubt.

I called FSBPT and they said Wednesday August 1. I think this whole process is ridiculous. We should know immediately or within 24 hours, not a week. Considering how expensive this whole process is, and how computers electronically grade these tests. There has to be a more functional and effective way.

I'm honestly not surprised to hear this. I was very skeptical about results being released tonight. After taking the test last week, it was very apparent to me that the test was designed to be tricky and difficult. My instinct tells me they did that for a reason. It benefits them financially to make the test tricky and lower pass rates. They profit $400 from each examinee every time they test. It makes them more money if we fail unfortunately than if we pass. Once I figured this out, I realized that they are not on the side of the students, so why do us a favor like release results early? I know that sounds very pessimistic but that's what's been rattling around in my head since sitting for the exam and explains why they would make the actual exam so much different than the PEATs they had us purchase for $100 to prepare us. This whole thing feels like one big money grab to me.

Occupy your time, there’s nothing we can do about the wait. It’s out of our hands. I took it Wednesday, July 25th in VA. I was told that results will be in on Tuesday (which is tmrw). But if not, my time is occupied. For those who are down about the potential score. Just Trust God throughout this process. We have done everything we were supposed to do up until this point. Now it’s time to have faith. I’m sure everything will work out in His timing. Just believe, and not doubt.

I was going to let this slide, but I couldn't disagree more with "there's nothing we can do about the wait." I have heard that way too many times in the past 3 years. Whether it be from teachers taking weeks to return grades, etc. We pay premium prices for everything in PT school, being dissatisfied with the product I have paid for is 100% okay because I communicated it tactfully and respectfully. Sitting on my hands being content with this arduous process is exactly why it is currently implemented like this. If we all voice our opinion on how we feel then change happens. I occupy my time well, as we all do, hence we wouldn't have made it this far in the first place.

If we buy some bread at the grocery store is it okay that half the bread is moldy? I am just voicing a fact that this process needs to be changed. If I am held to a standard through the 7 years of school, why not keep others accountable too? I imagine if it was one's own money they earned instead of 7% interest borrowed money, maybe our value of the dollar would be much higher than being okay shelling out all of this money for poor customer service.

Reactions: 5 users