NPTE - July 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gambit47

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Usually there is a forum up by now, but since I can’t find one I thought I would start one for this board exam. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats everyone!! Could you share how your studying and study tips??
Yes!

For me, I outlined each of the big 3 (Cardiopulm, Neuro and Musculoskeletal) in separate journals and then combined the rest (lymphatics, modalities, metabolic/endocrine, professional responsibilities etc) into one journal as well (4 Journals total). This way, I could go directly to one journal if i scored low in one area during my practice test. Id spend two hours in the morning purely writing down information from the the scorebuilders book, directly into my notebook. If I could create a mnemonic for anything, I would. It's a great way to memorize things. Then I'd give myself a big break to do something I enjoy. At night I would then come back to the things I wrote down, and study them for 2 hours. If there is anything your uncertain of that you wrote down try searching the topic thoroughly online. If you can, maybe include the words "Physical therapy" with that topic so it pertains to your topic. This way you're really learning and understanding the material, not just memorizing facts. Continue to do this until about the final week. On the final week, take all uncertain areas + big concepts/Areas (like CVA differences between R and L hemisphere, joint athro's, patho's, special test, etc) and make notecards out of them into question form and really drill those into your brain.

I also took a test about every two weeks. (Scored low 80's on the PEATs, Low-Mid 70's on the Ther. Ed, didn't take the score builders). I took the test at night and then reviewed each and every single question in the morning and looked at each response/reasoning again to make sure I understand what they're looking for in the answers. All in all, it took me about 3-4 hours/day for 8 weeks. Hopefully this helps some of you!

Reactions: 1 user
If I were to guess based on everything you've explained, it sounds to me like it was test anxiety. Did you feel yourself getting very nervous during the test? I realized that I was anxious, overanalyzing, rushing, and not trusting my instincts. Therapyexamprep has some good strategies for improving test taking skills

During the actual NPTE i didn't feel nervous/anxious for the most part. I only felt nervous during Section 5 due to fighting the clock, i just wanted time to go back with questions i know for a fact are part of a DPT level program that weren't in my BSPT level program, extreme critical thinking. Hence why a question in the original post "Should I go for a tDPT/ppDPT program that does not require a license prior to taking the exam again?" My test taking fatigue tolerance is high since where i was trained, we had 3-5 midterms/finals in one day, each with 200 questions in 2 hours.

I believe what also helped me was drilling the fundamentals repeatedly. Dermatomes, myotomes, sci, strokes/arteries of the brain, brachial plexus, reflexes, fundamentals of pediatrics. Brain dump all of this information on to your scratch paper before you answer the first question so you can use it throughout the test.

I actually did just that before answering the first question, helped me tremendously, esp with time mgmt. A habit i picked up during the 1000Q exam days, to separate which class was which.

I wrote thorough online flashcards based on the content of the practice exam. Quizzed myself with apps like NPTE pocket prep. Look for patterns when reviewing PEAT exams, that is the key to improving scores. You've got to figure out why you missed what you missed but also why you got questions right.

Just waiting for the performance report to appear in my account. Whats funny, now that I look at it, i made notes to teach a class content of PT. If you or anyone else would maybe help or confirm if its 'all there'? Or im missing things that'd be appreciated.

Does anyone know when and how to get access to our PT license #?
Nothing on the state website yet. Was wondering if I can find it somewhere else

Members don't see this ad :)
Passed in IL.

Just thought I'd share my prior scores for future people taking the exam. I always liked to see how other people who passed had done on practice tests.

SB 1- 63%
Ther Ed A- 64%
Ther Ed B- 74.5%
Ther Ed C- 70.5 %
Practice PEAT 78% (155/200)
Retired PEAT 86% (172/200)

Studied 6 weeks, about 20 hours a week with more during the final two weeks. Did a practice test each Wednesday and went over every question and answer. Read most of therapy Ed and referenced SB. Studied topics pretty randomly as sticking to a solid schedule just wasn't working for me. Find what works for you!

Thought the actual tests was extremely hard and much different than the PEATs. I usually finished the PEATs in under 4 hours but I used every last second for the real thing. Was sure I had failed walking out of there. So I guess believe people when they say you'll feel like you failed! Only had one classmate that felt good about it after.

Sorry not sure how to make my own post on this thread so I’m replying to yours , just found out I failed with 570. Anyone have an idea of how many questions I missed from getting a 600? Thanks

When I failed last January, I bought the Performance Feedback Assessment in the FSBPT website to see my score (raw and scaled, so you could see how many questions off you were from passing), and they break it down by component (which body system, section, area where you weakest). I felt it helped me a lot during my review for this exam, because the assessment basically told me I was terrible in musculoskeletal interventions. So in reviewing for July, I really focused on that area, and others that had a pretty low scale score. It's pricey ($90) but it was a worthwhile investment for me.

Congrats to all my colleagues who passed the July NPTE!

Because it helped me as well, I wanted to post my practice exam stats to help those who have yet to take the exam. I began studying 9 weeks in advance. The first half of my study plan I averaged about 12-15 hours of studying a week, then around the halfway mark, I took the TherapyEd prep course that was arranged by my school. It was very helpful and our instructor was great at helping me feel less overwhelmed with the amount of material I needed to review. I increased my studying to about 20-25 hours for the last 4 weeks prior to the exam as I do better with deadlines and I struggled with my study routine at the beginning since 9 weeks out, I still didn't really feel the pressure of a hard deadline.

TherapyEd practice exam (a separate practice exam offered by my school that I took in March cold with no prior studying) - 61.5%
TherapyEd Exam A: 69.5% - took this exam after 1 week of studying to get an improved baseline compared to my March exam
TherapyEd Exam B: 73.5%
TherapyEd Exam C: 67.5%
SB 1: 70% (I took this one after TherapyEd Exam A about a week later) - I didn't take any more of the SB exams because I felt they were too nit picky with recall whereas I felt that I would be more successful in my prep strategy to work on clinical reasoning via the more difficult TherapyEd exams.

Practice PEAT (2 weeks before): 81%
Retired NPTE (1 week before): 87%

The PEAT's gave me a huge confidence boost going into the exam and helped me believe that I was ready. The NPTE was tough but I maintained my confidence throughout and I passed. Update: I got a 704/800 (88%) which I think is hilarious because that was pretty much the same scaled score I got on both PEAT exams.

Last edited:
I must say... I was very nervous coming out of that test... I passed... and here are the approximate scores on all of my practice exams... I did not take a PEAT at all..

Mock Board with scorebuilders before beginning clinicals: 64
Mock Board with scorebuilders before graduation: 67

Read through scorebuilders sections SLOWLY... I graduated May 12 and began working full time June 4, I also have 2 children age 4 and 6.... I studied with free time, completed most sections except the "research" and the "neuro" portions... took a vacation June 24th-July 10th... didn't look at a thing...

Got back from vacation and took a practice exam with scorebuilders: 69
Read through the exam, finished up the neuro portion and took another practice exam on scorebuilders: 71
Read through exam again, and took final scorebuilders exam: 79

Finally I went on and took the NPTE practice exams... scored 70 and 72 I think.... (all 5 of those were within the July 10-July 24 dates... I crammed a bit to say the least... looked through my handwritten notes I made on subjects I struggle with from scorebuilders... and took the exam... Walked out of there a bit nervous, but felt like I knew a lot within the exam... The questions I had no clue about, I didn't stress over, because had I spend an entire 50hours additional in studying, I would have NEVER studied those anyway...

Needless to say, I felt like my program prepared me WELL for this exam, as well as my clinicals and the prep time I allowed myself without stressing over it day in and day out... I studied maybe 1-2 hours 3x/week at work... and the 2 days before my exam on the 25th I sat in the library reviewing material I struggled with most... took 2 practice exams and that was that... Congratulations to all of you that passed, and for those of you that did not... Don't give up... Good Luck!

Passed in NY!
Reading forums and other peoples practice exam scores was helpful for me so I thought I'd share my scores too:
Scorebuilders Exam 1: 59% 2: 59.5% 3: 66%
Was freaking out initially after my first few scorebuilders tests because of my low scores but just used the feedback to work on my weak areas. Personally I thought the scorebuildrers exams had some really poorly worded/subjective questions. But I mainly used the scorebuilders book and basecamp to study

PEAT 1: 80% 2: 72%
Thought the PEAT was most similar to the actual exam

Osullivans: 65.5% #2: 68.5% #3: 66.5%
Thought the Osullivan's was hardest out of all of the practice exams that I took, but good practice

I think I prepared well for this exam studied for about ~8 weeks while working part time at a PT clinic 2 days a week. I liked studying this way because working in the clinic broke up the days of studying and made it less monotonous.

Lmao I got a 787 on the NPTE. I can’t believe it. Legitimately thought I failed.

Once more with the test scores for future students browsing here:

O'Sullivan: A) 59% (took this cold without any prep prior to studying) B) 75% C) 70%

Scorebuilders: A) 64% B) 66% C) 70%

PEAT Practice Form: 77% (640/800 converted)

PEAT Retired NPTE: 80% (681/800 converted) (took about 10 days out from the NPTE).

NPTE: 787/800

Kind of a crazy jump from my PEAT scores to the NPTE score but apparently I do well under pressure. BELIEVE IN YOURSELF!

I thought that I failed the exam walking out of it but I actually got a 718/800!
I only used the scorebuilders book to study and went through the entire book once, then repeated small sections I wanted to review. Studied for about 7-8 weeks, 30 hours/week for about 5/6 weeks and less for the other 2/3 weeks. I started studying after I graduated in the middle of May.
Took 2 scorebuilders exams and 2 PEATS.
Scorebuilers exam #2: 76.5%
Scorebuilders exam #3: 74.5%
PEAT 1: 652/800
PEAT 2: 672/800

I also utilize NPTE final frontier, the scorebuilders app, and the NPTE pocket prep app

My program purchased the academic PEATs for their exit exam so I was able to take 4 PEATs. The list is in order of the practice tests I have taken prior to exit exam & then NPTE. I mainly used Score builders for my studies and did not read it cover to cover, I only read the info which was unfamiliar. I only skimmed the big 3 in the therapy ed a week prior to exam. I actually referenced textbooks used in school throughout my preparation (Physical rehabilitation, Magee, Patho- implications for PT). After the exam I was confident I passed and only had self doubt when I was looking online and seeing everyones comments about how hard it was... Either way, BE CONFIDENT in yourself

Score builders 1 (no studying): 57.5%
Therapy Ed A: 63%
Score builders 2: 69.5%
PEAT-Retired NPTE (academic): 76% --> 648/800

Score builders 3: 72.5%
Therapy Ed B: 76.5%
Therapy Ed C: 69.5%
PEAT-Practice form (academic): 79.5% --> 658/800
PEAT-Practice form (Candidate): 84% --> 743/800
PEAT- Retired NPTE (Candidate): 86% --> 694/800

July NPTE: 723/800

I see a lot of people talking about how the test felt way harder than any of the practice exams. I agree for the most part. I think the O'sullivan ones were pretty similar. Also the physical therapy ed test was pretty good and not very well known. I can't post the link because this is a new account, but the website is just called physicaltherapyed. They also have free quizzes which is nice.

The PEATs and Scorebuilders tests definitely give you a false sense of security in my opinion. Before I took the exam I thought the O'sullivan ones were overly difficult, but looking back they were pretty good as well.

Like some have mentioned earlier, my program required we take and pass the Academic retired PEAT prior to graduating. Below, I've listed the practice exams in the order I took them. I had an 8 week study schedule, 1-4 hours a day, depending on my ability to focus.

I studied by reviewing every question--even the ones I got right--after taking a practice exam at the start of each week. This process of reviewing will take about a week if done thoroughly. I solely used O'Sullivan to review concepts, and sometimes would refer to my textbooks if I needed more clarification, since O' Sullivan is very condensed.

Academic Retired Peat [No studying; passing requirement to graduate]—662

O Sullivan Exam A—66%
Academic Practice Peat—627
Scorebuilders— 80%
O Sullivan Exam B—76%
Student Retired Peat— 653
Student Practice Peat—743

July NPTE: 713/800

Good luck to all the future PTs! You'll do well. Remember to rest and take breaks, and remind yourself you KNOW THIS.

Congratulations everyone who passed!
Those who had exit exam in their schools, how was it compared to NPTE? And what scores did you get on your exit exam?
Thanks in advance!