NPTE May 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TDPT

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
*Ensure that contents of the exam are NOT discussed within this forum!

Congrats to those who have taken the May 2020 NPTE thus far and good luck to those yet to take it this month!

I wanted to start this thread for 3 purposes - to see how everyone felt about the exam, to encourage each other/post results when they come in; and to serve as a resource for future test takers. It was extremely helpful for me to read past posts about how others felt about their respective exam, how they studied, and what their practice tests scores were leading up.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I thought it was hard! I got low 70's on the three TherapyEd exams and low 80's on two PEAT exams, so hoping I was prepared enough. I took it on May 2nd, so I get my results on May 11. The waiting game is hoooooorrrrrible.

Literally almost nauseous at the thought of not passing. I need to run to the liquor store.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I thought it was hard! I got low 70's on the three TherapyEd exams and low 80's on two PEAT exams, so hoping I was prepared enough. I took it on May 2nd, so I get my results on May 11. The waiting game is hoooooorrrrrible.

the waiting game is absolutely brutal! I keep going back and fourth in my mind if I failed or not, and keep thinking of questions I got wrong lol. #endlesscycle

Thought it was pretty challenging. A very “generalized” test imo.

Scores:
SB 1- 79
SB 2- 84.5
SB 3- 82.5

Retired PEAT- 89
Practice PEAT- 92

Gonna be a long wait till the 11th.

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought the exam was very challenging as well. Listed below are my practice test scores and how I studied.

In this specific order -
Therapy Ed Exam 1: 67% - 134/200 (baseline done before any studying)
Therapy Ed Exam 2: 73% - 146/200
Therapy Ed Exam 3: 78% - 155/200

Practice PEAT: 77% - 154/200
Retired PEAT (week of exam): 83% - 165/200 - scaled score 653 w/ estimated range between 627 - 679 on NPTE.

I studied for about 8 weeks with half of that time frame taking place during clinicals. I solely utilized Sullivan Therapy Ed book and would take notes in a word document as I went on topics I wanted to review after going through the whole book (ended up being 135 pages). I would try to get in ~2 hours/day during clinic days and 5-6 hours on Saturday or Sunday w/ 1 day off/week. Did this for about 4 weeks then COVID-19 hit and studied full time 4-6 hours/day 6 days/week for 4 weeks leading up to the NPTE. I also utilized NPTE pocket prep app and payed $34.99 for all of the 600 questions of which I would recommend for an easy way to quiz yourself and isolate specific topics.

I will update regarding NPTE status and score when they're posted next week.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if our pass/fail results will be posted on our fsbpt portal ~6 days after the test was taken, like in previous years? I know fsbpt plans to release score reports on May 11th for those that took the exam 5/1-5/6, but I'm not sure if this is independent from the barebones pass/fail result. I just want to know when I can expect a pass or fail, as someone who took the test on May 2

Last edited:
I called fsbpt and they confirmed that the earliest we will know pass/fail results is May 11th (for those that tested between May 1st and 6th)

Reactions: 3 users
That’s interesting about the May 11th date, but not surprising. However I did speak to someone earlier this week at FSBPT about transferring my score to another state (tested on May 1st) and was informed I’d have to wait until scores are released, but that I could expect to see pass/fail within 7 days.

here’s to hoping!

That’s interesting about the May 11th date, but not surprising. However I did speak to someone earlier this week at FSBPT about transferring my score to another state (tested on May 1st) and was informed I’d have to wait until scores are released, but that I could expect to see pass/fail within 7 days.

here’s to hoping!
Oh wow, no I'm going to be checking the website every few hours starting on Saturday!

Oh wow, no I'm going to be checking the website every few hours starting on Saturday!

I’m hoping it’s soon than later because the wait is already rough! It seems we can expect to get varying information from FSBPT during these uncertain times too. I’ll definitely post back here if I happen to find out before the 11th!

EDIT: update, still no results. Looks like tomorrow it is!

Last edited:
Taking it Saturday ... how did everyone feel it compared to the therapyed exams and the peat?

My Prometric appointment got cancelled AFTER I sat for the exam. Nobody (FSBPT) really knows if that will affect my score reporting, but I'm with you all--the waiting is tough.

Members don't see this ad :)
My Prometric appointment got cancelled AFTER I sat for the exam. Nobody (FSBPT) really knows if that will affect my score reporting, but I'm with you all--the waiting is tough.
Wait... how is that even possible? Sorry you have to deal with that.

Wait... how is that even possible? Sorry you have to deal with that.
EDIT: FSBPT told me that my scores were received even with the strange cancellation. Monday it is!

What did you all think of taking the exam with a mask on?

I found it less than ideal, but it may have actually helped me be aware of my breathing and helped with alerting me when to dial down my stress response.

Last edited:
Easier than TherapyEd, harder than the PEAT. However, the PEATs were closest to the real thing.
That’s good to hear... I’ll be in tomorrow and let y’all know how I felt.

My practice exam scores in order of when I took them:
Retired peat before studying: 155/200 78%
SB 1: 133/200 66.5%
SB 2: 125/200 62.5%
SB 3: 142/200 71%
Therapy Ed 1: 148/200 74%
Therapy Ed 2: 150/200 75%
Therapy Ed 3: 158/200 79%
Practice peat 5 days before exam: 167/200 84%

Feeling okay but I hope I don’t have a stressful mental block!

Yeah that was definitely hard... BUT not as hard as i thought it would be, I was honestly expecting much worse. Some definite gimme questions, some questions that were curveballs, and some that I wasn’t even sure what some of the words were lmao. But yeah right along the lines of the peat and maybe easier than therapyed.... now the dreaded waiting game.

What makes me nervous the most is that I feel confident and I’m pretty sure I passed.... which is not common and everyone thinks they failed. So now I’m like oh crap lol.

Yeah that was definitely hard... BUT not as hard as i thought it would be, I was honestly expecting much worse. Some definite gimme questions, some questions that were curveballs, and some that I wasn’t even sure what some of the words were lmao. But yeah right along the lines of the peat and maybe easier than therapyed.... now the dreaded waiting game.

What makes me nervous the most is that I feel confident and I’m pretty sure I passed.... which is not common and everyone thinks they failed. So now I’m like oh crap lol.
Congrats on completing the NPTE! I agree with your assessment of the exam. Easier than TE, harder than PEAT, with PEAT being the closest thing to it. For me, currently t-minus 2 days until the results are supposed to be posted. Further, if you feel good about the exam that’s not a bad thing at all! For me I just feel like it could have gone either way.

Congrats on completing the NPTE! I agree with your assessment of the exam. Easier than TE, harder than PEAT, with PEAT being the closest thing to it. For me, currently t-minus 2 days until the results are supposed to be posted. Further, if you feel good about the exam that’s not a bad thing at all! For me I just feel like it could have gone either way.

Thanks you too! And yeah I feel that, definitely made some mistakes but there were a majority of them I kne for sure another chunk that I worked my way to the right answer and some educated guesse. But out of 250 counting the ungraded questions I just can’t see myself getting 100+ wrong. I am an optimist though so who knows if that will come back to bite me in this situation hahaha. Let us know how you do when the grades come out! Super jealous you find out in two days.

I take my NPTE tomorrow. I know we have to bring two forms of ID. I have my drivers license but my student ID has expired and I never renewed it. Does anyone know if this is a problem?

I take my NPTE tomorrow. I know we have to bring two forms of ID. I have my drivers license but my student ID has expired and I never renewed it. Does anyone know if this is a problem?

They said that even a credit/debit card with your signature on it is fine. But an expired school ID might be good to bring just in case, cant hurt to have 3 forms of ID lol.

They said that even a credit/debit card with your signature on it is fine. But an expired school ID might be good to bring just in case, cant hurt to have 3 forms of ID lol.
Thanks lol! I had a dream last night the test wasn’t written in English.. getting a little nervous I’d say..

They were pretty relaxed with me, you should be fine. You can bring anything with your name on it, credit cards, bank statements, passport, etc.

Anyone have any idea what time results will be released tomorrow? Wild speculation is welcome

Reactions: 2 users
Nervous as you can be, definitely thought other systems and inter/lymphatics was harder than it should have been.

Reactions: 3 users
Results are up! I passed! I will post scores on the NPTE and practice exams when they’re released!

I truthfully had several bouts of anxiety since the test thinking that I failed. I know most people say "yea I walked out feeling like I failed", but that is an UNDERSTATEMENT. Wow.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Results are up! I passed! I will post scores on the NPTE and practice exams when they’re released!

I truthfully had several bouts of anxiety since the test thinking that I failed. I know most people say "yea I walked out feeling like I failed", but that is an UNDERSTATEMENT. Wow.
The wait game is unreal! My anxiety was at its highest all week. I probably went back and fourth in my mind on pass/fail 50x per day and checking the FSBPT page the same amount even though I knew they wouldn’t be posted till today lol

The wait game is unreal! My anxiety was at its highest all week. I probably went back and fourth in my mind on pass/fail 50x per day and checking the FSBPT page the same amount even though I knew they wouldn’t be posted till today lol
That is where im at RN lmao. I left feeling pretty good, but each day that passes I remember a question and im like... wait... crap.... I messed that up. The anxiety is killing me.

Also, just curious... How long did it take you guys to finish the exam... I was done in a little under 4 hours and I took the full 15 minute break... This is where my anxiety is at... thinking that the length of time it too kme to take the exam will make an impact on passing or not lmao

Also, just curious... How long did it take you guys to finish the exam... I was done in a little under 4 hours and I took the full 15 minute break... This is where my anxiety is at... thinking that the length of time it too kme to take the exam will make an impact on passing or not lmao
I took 4 hours and only utilized 5 min of the 15 min break!

I thought the exam was very challenging as well. Listed below are my practice test scores and how I studied.

In this specific order -
Therapy Ed Exam 1: 67% - 134/200 (baseline done before any studying)
Therapy Ed Exam 2: 73% - 146/200
Therapy Ed Exam 3: 78% - 155/200

Practice PEAT: 77% - 154/200
Retired PEAT (week of exam): 83% - 165/200 - scaled score 653 w/ estimated range between 627 - 679 on NPTE.

I studied for about 8 weeks with half of that time frame taking place during clinicals. I solely utilized Sullivan Therapy Ed book and would take notes in a word document as I went on topics I wanted to review after going through the whole book (ended up being 135 pages). I would try to get in ~2 hours/day during clinic days and 5-6 hours on Saturday or Sunday w/ 1 day off/week. Did this for about 4 weeks then COVID-19 hit and studied full time 4-6 hours/day 6 days/week for 4 weeks leading up to the NPTE. I also utilized NPTE pocket prep app and payed $34.99 for all of the 600 questions of which I would recommend for an easy way to quiz yourself and isolate specific topics.

I will update regarding NPTE status and score when they're posted next week.

Expand above to view my practice test scores and how I studied if you’re interested. Truly I do not know how it happened but...

Scored 800/800 on May 2020 NPTE!

I truly felt SO TERRIBLE leaving the exam and for the rest of the week.

Last edited:
Scorebuilders 1: 150/200 75%
Scorebuilders 2: 147/200 73.5%
Scorebuilders 3: 129/200 64.5%
PEAT Retired NPTE: 171/200 85.5% 688/800
PEAT Practice Form: 159/200 79.5% 696/800
May 2 NPTE: 696/800

Took about 4 hours total to complete the test, which was longer than it took for practice tests, but walked out feeling pretty good about it. Got the score that I expected

PEAT Retired: 74% (before studying)
Therapy Ed Exam 1: 72%
Therapy Ed Exam 2: 71%
Therapy Ed Exam 3: 73%
PEAT Practice: 82% (three days before exam)

NPTE: 735/800.

I read in some blog that most people tend to get ~ 8-15% better on the NPTE than the PEAT. For me I scored exactly 10% better, if that helps you plan your studying.

For those interested, the average (median) score on the NPTE is approximately 670.

Last edited:
Congrats to all who passed the NPTE and good luck to those who are taking it this month sometime (as well as those sitting for the July exam)!

Hope this can be helpful to those who are looking for guidance:

SCORES
Therapy Ed Exam B 73% (before studying at all)
Therapy Ed Exam C 73.5% - thought this one was the hardest
Therapy Ed Exam A 83%
Purchased Peat (retired) 82% (643 scale score)
Purchased Peat (practice form) 74% (644 scale score)
Academic Peat (practice form) 75% (627 scale score) - took this one in January after about a week of studying
Academic Peat (retired) 82% (701 scale score) - took about 10 days before the NPTE

NPTE - Passed!

I was also incredibly nervous the entire time waiting for the results (took the NPTE May 2) - I was convinced I failed even though everyone tells you to trust the process. Now that I am on the other side I can absolutely say: TRUST THE PROCESS AND BE CONFIDENT. I highly recommend taking the boards early as long as your program allows it, being in the school mode and picking things up from the rotations was huge for me to apply the concepts (my rotation was also acutes so the schedule was way nicer than the OP rotation and left ample time in the evening to study about 2-3hrs/night 5 days a week plus catch-up/review exams on the weekends). I also used Kyle Rice - I was a little late to the game on his stuff but the cheat sheets were helpful for additional insight and his explanations on the podcasts are well done if you are an auditory person.

CONGRATS AGAIN TO ALL!

Passed 790/800.
Only used scorebuilders review book and tests. Didn’t use any other materials (therapyed or basecamp). Did take the PEATs

imo- pick one source and stick with it. These companies profit off of students nerves for these tests

For those who have already found out that they passed, what time were scores posted? I don’t find out till May 18.

Last edited:
Failed the exam, 587
Oh no, I'm so sorry :(

Is there any way you can post what materials you used to study and how you did on the practice tests and such? I take mine in a few weeks but may push it back if I don't do well on the retired PEAT. Thanks in advance and better luck next time!!!

I take my NPTE on May 21!
Got low 70's on the Therapy Ed/scorebuilders exams I took (one each)
I got a 618 on the PEAT retired form and a 665 on the PEAT practice form so I'm hoping they correlate well with my NPTE score!

I take my NPTE on May 21!
Got low 70's on the Therapy Ed/scorebuilders exams I took (one each)
I got a 618 on the PEAT retired form and a 665 on the PEAT practice form so I'm hoping they correlate well with my NPTE score!
Good luck! I felt like it was a bit easier than the therapyed so if youre getting low 70's on those you should be fine!

Next day, 12:01 am eastern time

I CAN'T WAIT ANYMORE they aren't up yet, I'm dying!! I took the exam the 9th in a little under 3 hours with no breaks (I'm always a fast test taker--like, first or second one done in the class every test, fast--but I'm nervous I skipped questions and keep going back and forth thinking I failed). Anyone else stalking the site right now and have their score yet??

I CAN'T WAIT ANYMORE they aren't up yet, I'm dying!! I took the exam the 9th in a little under 3 hours with no breaks (I'm always a fast test taker--like, first or second one done in the class every test, fast--but I'm nervous I skipped questions and keep going back and forth thinking I failed). Anyone else stalking the site right now and have their score yet??
Nothing yet... should be up in the morning. Hope we all pass!