NPTE May 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TDPT

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
*Ensure that contents of the exam are NOT discussed within this forum!

Congrats to those who have taken the May 2020 NPTE thus far and good luck to those yet to take it this month!

I wanted to start this thread for 3 purposes - to see how everyone felt about the exam, to encourage each other/post results when they come in; and to serve as a resource for future test takers. It was extremely helpful for me to read past posts about how others felt about their respective exam, how they studied, and what their practice tests scores were leading up.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Results are up in CA! PASSED!!!!
Woohoooooooooooo! What an amazing feeling holy crap!!!!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Passed!!!!

Wow, the past week has been an anxiety ridden roller coaster... My scores were 'withheld' this morning but they were uploaded a few hours later. I can honestly say, the past 3 months has been the most stressful of all 3 years in graduate school. My NPTE was rescheduled/ cancelled 4 times and my motivation was lost little by little. I can finally relax! My test scores were not great but I cannot say I did not put the time in...

Scorebuilders:
Test #1: 53.5% (No studying)
Test #2: 63%
Test#3: 75%

O'sullivans: (Definitely more challenging)
Test #1: 60%
Test #2: 63%
Test #3: 69%

PEAT:
Test #1: 63% or 566
Test #2: 76% or 586

I found Scorebuilders to be lacking enough substance in their book. I purchased Basecamp but thought it was all over the place and ended up not using it... I though O'sullivans was easiest for me to follow and their tests more close to actual NPTE Q's. Scorebuilders test Q's were either extremely random or straightforward. I also used free applications for daily questions and podcasts during driving. Lastly, I made a cheat sheet for each of the sections and reviewed each test question by question.

Good luck to everyone and congratulations to those who have passed/ graduated recently!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats everyone!!! Does anyone know when the actual scores come out and where we see them??

Congrats everyone!!! Does anyone know when the actual scores come out and where we see them??
I expected to get them today since it seems like the people who knew if they passed or failed on the 11th got their scores on the 12th... I believe scores are under the “status of my request” tab.

I expected to get them today since it seems like the people who knew if they passed or failed on the 11th got their scores on the 12th... I believe scores are under the “status of my request” tab.
Thats what i was expecting but cant seem to find it anywhere...

The waiting truly sucks. It is making me second guess myself and reminisce on all the questions that I know I got wrong. I left the test feeling decent. But, now I'm starting to over think.... like maybe I did mess up too much or flag too many things and maybe came up with the wrong answer. I know 50 questions don't count, but I don't know which ones are counted and which aren't. What if the ones that were easy that I know I got wrong were the ones that were counted..... blah... Tuesday can't get here fast enough :(

Reactions: 2 users
Passed 790/800.
Only used scorebuilders review book and tests. Didn’t use any other materials (therapyed or basecamp). Did take the PEATs

imo- pick one source and stick with it. These companies profit off of students nerves for these tests

how did you find your score? I can not seem to find mine.

I took it yesterday! I felt confident during/immediately after but of course now that I have to wait until June 1 to find out my results I’m going to be overthinking it

Im taking it this weekend. What topic should i focus on? Or shall I say “Last Dance” before my actual exam! lol

Im taking it this weekend. What topic should i focus on? Or shall I say “Last Dance” before my actual exam! lol
I would say focus on... whatever you feel is your weakest topic. :) You know posting information pertaining to the NPTE is not allowed. So, that's the best advice lol

Members don't see this ad :)
The waiting truly sucks. It is making me second guess myself and reminisce on all the questions that I know I got wrong. I left the test feeling decent. But, now I'm starting to over think.... like maybe I did mess up too much or flag too many things and maybe came up with the wrong answer. I know 50 questions don't count, but I don't know which ones are counted and which aren't. What if the ones that were easy that I know I got wrong were the ones that were counted..... blah... Tuesday can't get here fast enough :(

UPDATE: PASSED!!! WOO!! Shows that those feelings are normal!

I PASSED!!!!!

This was my second attempt...back in January, I failed by only 3 questions (test anxiety was horrible and it was truly a self-fulfilling prophecy).
But, I rallied and worked my butt off!!! I did the PT Final Exam Program as well as Kyle Rice's NPTE PASS System...cannot recommend these enough!! They both give great info, and Kyle's program did a great job of teaching me test taking strategies and ways to cope with anxiety.
My scores were as follows:
Therapy Ed B: 68% (baseline, before studying)
Therapy Ed A: 72%
Therapy Ed C: 72%
SB OA 1: 70%
SB OA 2: 72%
PT Final Exam: 71%
Retired PEAT: 91% (760)
Practice PEAT: 86% (766)
NPTE: 673

I definitely found the NPTE to be much harder than any of my practice tests, as well as both PEATs, but by remaining calm and confident, I was able to work through most of the tricky questions. They had quiet a few easy/gimmies, but there were definitely some harder questions. I scored much lower than my PEATs, but I attribute this simply to game day nerves :)

Good luck to everyone!!! If it doesn't work out in your favor, try not to panic...life goes on and I promise you, you'll recover, rock it next time, and then never have to think about it again :)

Reactions: 3 users
These forums helped me out a lot during my NPTE preparation so I thought I would post some of my info for future test takers. I thought the NPTE was definitely harder than the PEATs but the same difficulty or slightly easier than TherapyEd. My original study plan was about 10 weeks but it got extended to 12 with the test being postponed due to Covid-19. I mainly studied from TherapyEd and was also enrolled in Final Frontier which was definitely a game changer.

Scorebuilders #1: 95/200 48% (Baseline)
Scorebuilders #2: 128/200 64%

Therapy Ed #1: 118/200 59%
Therapy Ed #2: 146/200 72%
Therapy Ed #3: 131/200 66%

Academic Retired PEAT: 122/200 61% (553/800)
Academic Practice PEAT: 151/200 76% (631/800)

Final Frontier Retired Exam: 143/200 72% (636/800)
Final Frontier Exam 2: 161/200 81% (716/800)

Student Retired PEAT: 152/200 76% (590/800) 3 wks out
Student Practice PEAT: 164/200 82% (721/800) 1 wk out

NPTE: Passed! 661

As you can see my scores were not the best but the key is that it improved over time. Don't put too much importance on the score itself but rather try to learn why you got that score and what you can do to change it. Like everyone else mentioned, you will most likely feel like you failed walking out of the exam but just remind yourself that you've done everything in your power and leave the rest to God.

Congrats to all of my fellow colleagues on crushing the exam and best of luck in your future endeavors!

I felt comfortable after leaving the test center. Definitely was confident in my preparation and I passed with flying colors (score = 751/800).

My study method included reading the therapy Ed book over the fall semester and scorebuilders over the spring semester. Both while on full time clinicals. I took notes on a word document and made notecards on information I felt was important and/or did not know well. I would consistently review my word doc and notecards over the spring semester all the way leading up to the test. I also was able to listen to podcasts (NPTE clinical files and Kyle Rice) and review old course notes due to the covid delay.

I felt the keys to my success were making a study schedule and sticking to it, consistent review, and taking practice tests. My scores are below. I hope this information helps someone. The more you prepare the more confident you will be. Don’t try to cram in all that content in a short period of time. Also, it’s okay to get questions wrong on tests, just move on to the next question. Don’t let several tough questions ruin your test.

SB 1: 71% SB 2: 82% SB 3: 82% TE 1: 69% TE 2: 72% TE 3: 78% PEAT retired: 90% (744/800) PEAT practice form: 83% (732/800) NPTE: 751/800

I found out I passed first time this morning! Wanted to share my practice test scores because I was NOT passing my practice exams and there is hope for those in the same boat!

SB1: 54% - baseline
SB2: 59%
TE1: 51%
TE2: 64%
Practice PEAT: 64%
Retired PEAT: 59%

I attribute passing to going over both PEATS in the 2 weeks before the test question by question, answer by answer. Figuring out why my wrong answer was wrong and studying that material, and also all the other answers. And studying all of the incorrect answers when I got something correct, too. It was extremely time consuming (8 hours/test) but I have no regrets. I also don’t wish that week of waiting when you haven’t passed a practice test on anyone. Best of luck to everyone! Dealing with all of the cancellations and postponements is no easy feat!

Reactions: 4 users
Scores are available now!

Here’s my breakdown:
Therapy Ed Course in December: 65% (baseline)
Therapy Ed 1 (Feb): 65%
Academic PEAT: 159/200 scale 671
Then coronavirus happened and I stopped studying.
Started back up at the end of April:
Score builders 1: 65%
Therapy Ed 2: 67%
Score builders 2: 76.5%
Therapy Ed 3 (hardest exam): 75%
Practice Peat: 159/200 scale 658
Scorebuilders 3: 82%

NPTE: 725/800

Hello everyone!

Congrats to everyone that aced the NPTE, and for those who didn't, don't be depressed about it as there's time for everything. Stay strong and never give up!
Let me introduce myself. My name is Tosin from Preferred Healthcare. We staff for all Allied/Therapy disciplines and we have positions posted in all settings- Acute, Outpatient, Rehab, Home Health. We offer opportunities for local, travel, or per diem placement. Let me be a resource to you in your future job searches. Here is my email address, [email protected]. Alternative email and direct line to reach( mention my name) [email protected] ; 858-810-8660. Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Kind Regards,

Tosin/Quyen
Healthcare Recruiter
Preferred Healthcare Staffing
9089 Clairemont Mesa Blvd#200
San Diego, CA 92123
Fax: (858) 429-7992
www.PreferredHealthcareStaffing.com

I just got result. I failed. This feeling sucks. I have no idea what to do next. I took npte in Jan 2020 I failed that, I thought I study hard and gave it all this time. I had a good feeling about exam too I am just shocked. Any advice on studying is appreciated. Thank you.

I just got result. I failed. This feeling sucks. I have no idea what to do next. I took npte in Jan 2020 I failed that, I thought I study hard and gave it all this time. I had a good feeling about exam too I am just shocked. Any advice on studying is appreciated. Thank you.
Hey I just DMed you!

I am very sorry to hear that. I recommend the PT hustle youtube channel with kyle rice, following the final frontier facebook page, and the PT365 app by scorebuilder. I felt like it was important to just answer as many questions as possible and each of the resources are great for seeing different questions and explanations of them. I focused mostly on the therapyed book, but i did have scorebuilder as well for the extra 3 practice exams. I went over each of those exams like 2-3 times as well as the PEATs. Studying i really only focused on the big 3 as far as actually writing stuff down and putting it to memorization. The other sections I just read through once or twice.... One of kyle rices suggestions said that you should treat your stdying as a ratio of time studying/percentage chance and possible number of questions will be asked. So rather spending 5 days studying and memorizing modalities questions which will probably only have like 5 questions best to spend like a day on that and then the other 4 days on MSK which will have more like 50 questions. I also really didnt fell like i enjoyed following a schedule as far as like 8am-11am study, then lunch, then 1-4 study.... I definitely followed a daily topic to study type of schedule, but i just studied when the juices were flowing. That is what helped me absorb the info more. Also IDK if you have a fried that is also taking the boards but a friend of mine and I would text each other questions that we made while we were studying if we came across something tricky. It really help because yo have to write the question then explain to them why the correct answer is correct... And also like i said the more questions the better, overall I would say I answered like 2000+ questions between the practice exams, random online practice questions, kyle rice, final frontier, the PT365 app, and my friend asking me questions. The more the better. Dont be too hard on yourself, you will get there.

I am very sorry to hear that. I recommend the PT hustle youtube channel with kyle rice, following the final frontier facebook page, and the PT365 app by scorebuilder. I felt like it was important to just answer as many questions as possible and each of the resources are great for seeing different questions and explanations of them. I focused mostly on the therapyed book, but i did have scorebuilder as well for the extra 3 practice exams. I went over each of those exams like 2-3 times as well as the PEATs. Studying i really only focused on the big 3 as far as actually writing stuff down and putting it to memorization. The other sections I just read through once or twice.... One of kyle rices suggestions said that you should treat your stdying as a ratio of time studying/percentage chance and possible number of questions will be asked. So rather spending 5 days studying and memorizing modalities questions which will probably only have like 5 questions best to spend like a day on that and then the other 4 days on MSK which will have more like 50 questions. I also really didnt fell like i enjoyed following a schedule as far as like 8am-11am study, then lunch, then 1-4 study.... I definitely followed a daily topic to study type of schedule, but i just studied when the juices were flowing. That is what helped me absorb the info more. Also IDK if you have a fried that is also taking the boards but a friend of mine and I would text each other questions that we made while we were studying if we came across something tricky. It really help because yo have to write the question then explain to them why the correct answer is correct... And also like i said the more questions the better, overall I would say I answered like 2000+ questions between the practice exams, random online practice questions, kyle rice, final frontier, the PT365 app, and my friend asking me questions. The more the better. Dont be too hard on yourself, you will get there.
Thank you so much!

Just received my score on the exam and figured I would post my scores since this forum helped me a lot when I was preparing. Congratulations to all the newly licensed therapists!

Here are practice exam scores in the order they were taken:
TherapyEd Course in December: 76% (baseline)
TherapyEd Exam A (January): 78%
TherapyEd Exam B (February): 76%
Retired PEAT (late February): 80%, 702
**Continued studying for a few weeks, but took about 5 weeks off when COVID started. Began studying again 5 weeks out from my exam date once I found a seat.
Practice PEAT (2 weeks out): 86%, 728
TherapyEd Exam C (1 week out): 78%

May NPTE: 794/800

Last edited:
Congratulations to everyone who passed! For those who didn’t, I would just like to say to keep on grinding and don’t let failure stop you from achieving your goals. I just wanted to share my experience with the process of preparing for the NPTE and hopefully help other foreign-trained PTs like me.

So I signed up for the independent study bundle under NPTE Final Frontier and purchased the Scorebuilders book (mainly for the 3 practice exams) and got these results:
•NPTEFF Exam 1 = 464/800 (58%) - Baseline, no studying
•NPTEFF Exam (Retired) = 664/800 (83%)
•NPTEFF Exam (NEW) = 668/800 (86%) – This practice exam was challenging and I thought that I did badly in it, but surprisingly got a passing score. Took this 2 weeks before NPTE.

•SB1 – 72% (145/200 )
•SB2 – 72% (144/200)
•SB3 – 76% (152/200)

I found the exam really challenging and there were a lot of questions that threw me off. I suffered from nervous jitters throughout the 1st set of my exam and I feel like it affected my performance. But as time went by, I started to calm down and regain my focus. I suffered a migraine during the last 2 sets and it was probably one of the worst experiences in my life, especially knowing that I’m taking an exam that directly affects my future. But I fought through it and finished the exam with 1 hour to spare. I left the Prometric Center feeling like I 100% failed and had various bouts of mental breakdowns at home. I now understand some of my PT friends who felt like this. It was emotionally taxing, to say the least. However, I had no time to wallow in self-pity because I had to prepare for my CA jurisprudence exam (which I just finished taking a few hours ago lol). A few days later, I checked on the FSBPT website and saw the word “PASSED” and I couldn’t believe it! (Had to log out and log in several more times to make sure that my mind wasn’t playing tricks on me). I still don’t have my test scores, but I’ll post it once it's available.

So with that said, I just wanted to share some tips that might help others that are planning to take the NPTE:
• Following a study table greatly helped and kept me motivated to study. I just used the one provided by NPTE final frontier.
• At least 1 practice exam every 1-2 weeks and study the rationale for each question (I usually study 50-70 questions a day)
• While studying, think like a test-maker. Like, anticipate how the specific topic you’re studying will be asked in the exam.
• I compiled questions that I found hard or the one’s I got wrong during my practice exams on a PowerPoint and studied it. (Was able to collect 300+ questions lol)
• Do NOT doubt yourself while you’re taking the exam. Instead, save all the doubts for later when you’re out of the testing center.
• I think purchasing PEAT will be a great advantage. I didn’t purchase it and I honestly regret it, because my self-doubt was through the roof after finishing the NPTE.

:giggle: Good luck to all future test takers and may all of us stay safe and healthy during these trying times!

Congratulations to everyone who passed! For those who didn’t, I would just like to say to keep on grinding and don’t let failure stop you from achieving your goals. I just wanted to share my experience with the process of preparing for the NPTE and hopefully help other foreign-trained PTs like me.

So I signed up for the independent study bundle under NPTE Final Frontier and purchased the Scorebuilders book (mainly for the 3 practice exams) and got these results:
•NPTEFF Exam 1 = 464/800 (58%) - Baseline, no studying
•NPTEFF Exam (Retired) = 664/800 (83%)
•NPTEFF Exam (NEW) = 668/800 (86%) – This practice exam was challenging and I thought that I did badly in it, but surprisingly got a passing score. Took this 2 weeks before NPTE.

•SB1 – 72% (145/200 )
•SB2 – 72% (144/200)
•SB3 – 76% (152/200)

I found the exam really challenging and there were a lot of questions that threw me off. I suffered from nervous jitters throughout the 1st set of my exam and I feel like it affected my performance. But as time went by, I started to calm down and regain my focus. I suffered a migraine during the last 2 sets and it was probably one of the worst experiences in my life, especially knowing that I’m taking an exam that directly affects my future. But I fought through it and finished the exam with 1 hour to spare. I left the Prometric Center feeling like I 100% failed and had various bouts of mental breakdowns at home. I now understand some of my PT friends who felt like this. It was emotionally taxing, to say the least. However, I had no time to wallow in self-pity because I had to prepare for my CA jurisprudence exam (which I just finished taking a few hours ago lol). A few days later, I checked on the FSBPT website and saw the word “PASSED” and I couldn’t believe it! (Had to log out and log in several more times to make sure that my mind wasn’t playing tricks on me). I still don’t have my test scores, but I’ll post it once it's available.

So with that said, I just wanted to share some tips that might help others that are planning to take the NPTE:
• Following a study table greatly helped and kept me motivated to study. I just used the one provided by NPTE final frontier.
• At least 1 practice exam every 1-2 weeks and study the rationale for each question (I usually study 50-70 questions a day)
• While studying, think like a test-maker. Like, anticipate how the specific topic you’re studying will be asked in the exam.
• I compiled questions that I found hard or the one’s I got wrong during my practice exams on a PowerPoint and studied it. (Was able to collect 300+ questions lol)
• Do NOT doubt yourself while you’re taking the exam. Instead, save all the doubts for later when you’re out of the testing center.
• I think purchasing PEAT will be a great advantage. I didn’t purchase it and I honestly regret it, because my self-doubt was through the roof after finishing the NPTE.

:giggle: Good luck to all future test takers and may all of us stay safe and healthy during these trying times!
Thank you for sharing your experience.

Expand above to view my practice test scores and how I studied if you’re interested. Truly I do not know how it happened but...

Scored 800/800 on May 2020 NPTE!

I truly felt SO TERRIBLE leaving the exam and for the rest of the week.

I thought the exam was very challenging as well. Listed below are my practice test scores and how I studied.

In this specific order -
Therapy Ed Exam 1: 67% - 134/200 (baseline done before any studying)
Therapy Ed Exam 2: 73% - 146/200
Therapy Ed Exam 3: 78% - 155/200

Practice PEAT: 77% - 154/200
Retired PEAT (week of exam): 83% - 165/200 - scaled score 653 w/ estimated range between 627 - 679 on NPTE.

I studied for about 8 weeks with half of that time frame taking place during clinicals. I solely utilized Sullivan Therapy Ed book and would take notes in a word document as I went on topics I wanted to review after going through the whole book (ended up being 135 pages). I would try to get in ~2 hours/day during clinic days and 5-6 hours on Saturday or Sunday w/ 1 day off/week. Did this for about 4 weeks then COVID-19 hit and studied full time 4-6 hours/day 6 days/week for 4 weeks leading up to the NPTE. I also utilized NPTE pocket prep app and payed $34.99 for all of the 600 questions of which I would recommend for an easy way to quiz yourself and isolate specific topics.

I will update regarding NPTE status and score when they're posted next week.

Is this book named as Therapy Ed? I know this is the older version but is it so that this book's newer version is called Therapy Ed?

National Physical Therapy Examination Review & Study Guide (Red book)Susan B. O'Sullivan,Raymond P. Siegelman- 2008

99, member: 956740"]

[/QUOTE]

I PASSED!!!!!

This was my second attempt...back in January, I failed by only 3 questions (test anxiety was horrible and it was truly a self-fulfilling prophecy).
But, I rallied and worked my butt off!!! I did the PT Final Exam Program as well as Kyle Rice's NPTE PASS System...cannot recommend these enough!! They both give great info, and Kyle's program did a great job of teaching me test taking strategies and ways to cope with anxiety.
My scores were as follows:
Therapy Ed B: 68% (baseline, before studying)
Therapy Ed A: 72%
Therapy Ed C: 72%
SB OA 1: 70%
SB OA 2: 72%
PT Final Exam: 71%
Retired PEAT: 91% (760)
Practice PEAT: 86% (766)
NPTE: 673

I definitely found the NPTE to be much harder than any of my practice tests, as well as both PEATs, but by remaining calm and confident, I was able to work through most of the tricky questions. They had quiet a few easy/gimmies, but there were definitely some harder questions. I scored much lower than my PEATs, but I attribute this simply to game day nerves :)

Good luck to everyone!!! If it doesn't work out in your favor, try not to panic...life goes on and I promise you, you'll recover, rock it next time, and then never have to think about it again :)

I want to do Kyle Rices Pass system but 1,000 is so much money!!!!!! This is my first attempt. I am already doing final frontier but just liked the strategies about it!

Congrats to those who have taken the May 2020 NPTE thus far and good luck to those yet to take it this month!

I wanted to start this thread for 3 purposes - to see how everyone felt about the exam, to encourage each other/post results when they come in; and to serve as a resource for future test takers. It was extremely helpful for me to read past posts about how others felt about their respective exam, how they studied, and what their practice tests scores were leading up.
Can anyone plz provide me with note practice exams or soft copy of score builder 2020 or 2019 please. My email is [email protected] and I am foreign PT

Can anyone plz provide me with npte practice exams or soft copy of score builder 2020 or 2019 please. My email is [email protected] and I am foreign PT