NPTE Oct 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pratima1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How did everyone do on Today's NPTE exam? Appearing again :( and this is my last change.
- Posting for my partner :love:

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats to all Who nailed it,,it's such a relief ,can't evn describe in words.. it was my 4th try and still was not sure ,,but god is so great and I got it this time,,for those who could not get it this time, don't get discouraged ,believe in yourself your time will come because you work hard and hard work does always pay,,best of luck for JAN 2016 warriors,,,REMEMBER, YOU CAN DO IT,,

I PASSED!! And congrats to everyone who also passed! (I'm in CA for anyone who is still waiting on their scores)

I also wanted to post how I studied to help those who unfortunately didn't pass, and for people who will be taking it for the first time in the near future.
I used TherapyEd and Scorebuilders, and I didn't take any exam course. I would say total time I studied would be 6-8 weeks, anywhere from 3-8 or 9 hours a day. I also took the PEAT/practice tests. Use O'Sullivan, Scorebuilders, etc. to build up your test endurance. I know for my first practice exam I was dying by the 3rd section. Take the PEAT when you feel like you wanna get a better hold of the wording and terminology of the actual NPTE. Do this whenever you know you need it in your overall study schedule.

Comparable scores I've found are around the following: O'Sullivan 130-135/200 (65-67.5%), Scorebuilders 145/200 (72.5%), PEAT 145-150 (72.5-75%)

That being said, I got 61% and 62% on O'Sullivan, 62.5% on Scorebuilders. I got really discouraged and it was a week and a half till the exam. My husband helped me realize I was only trying to cram a bunch of crap in my head, which isn't realistic. I wasn't considering what the tester is trying to ask me. When people say study the questions and why you got them wrong, don't just remember what the right answer is as another fact. What I started to do is after reading the entire question once, I read the part of the stem that has what they're asking of me more attentively, and then find the information I need to answer. The exam writers tend to throw in things that wouldn't affect what you're doing at all, and definitely ones that would change your entire answer. Then I'd narrow down the choices from there.
Once I started doing that, I got 66% on O'Sullivan, 83% on the practice PEAT, and 81% on the retired NPTE. I passed the actual NPTE on the first try.
What I'm trying to say is to really figure out what your weaknesses are. Mine was trying to answer solely based on my own knowledge, instead understanding the question more. Hope this helps and good luck to you all! :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Passed. (In California)

I started studying early as I wanted to work part-time and had to wait for my temporary license so I made the most of my time off. I started about 11 weeks out and would study 3 hours a day 6x/week (sometimes more or less but I think I averaged 18 hours / week). I took a practice test every 2 weeks. O'Sullivan (63%, 64%, 65%) followed by PEAT (Retired - 80%, Practice - 74%). I don't know if it was a bad idea to start so early as the last 3 weeks were not very productive. I think 8 weeks of solid studying would probably be ideal.

Reactions: 1 users
I had 3 weeks off before my last clinical . This was 12 weeks before test. I used the 3 weeks to study around 3-4 hours a day. I took all of scorebuilders exams as well as 1 osullivans during this time.Once my last rotation started I tried to put in 1 hour of solid studying 5 days a week. I took the last 2 osullivans with around 5 weeks left. I took the practice PEAT and retired NPTE with a couple weeks left. I scored in high 60s on all osullivans and mid 70s on scorebuilders. I made in the mid 80s on retired and low 80s on practice PEAT.I used osullivans book almost exclusively. I did purchase scorebuilders app so I could use it on the go and take quizzes with it. 2 weeks before real exam I went back over retired NPTE and practice PEAT. I also would pull up the questions and practice reading the questions. I made myself slow down and pick out key words . I didn't worry about the answers just reading the questions. As the great mike Tyson said "everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth" . So I wanted to develop a game plan. That started with practicing reading the questions , building my testing endurance up and learning not to get discouraged on questions I didn't know. I took this into the exam and hey I guess it worked out . Best of luck to everyone

didn't pass,Georgia,......i need a study partner to ace this exam for January.
I was convinced that I'll pass this time but didn't happened.

Study time: 4-5 hours/day @8-10 weeks if recently passed.
I passed 15 years back from India.so I made that 3months.
Books : Sullivan's Physical Rehabilitation, Kisner, Magee, Scorebuilders, TherapyEd book.
Practice exams: Scorebuilders ( avg 75%) TherapyEd ( avg 68%), PEAT retired 80%, practice form 84%
Don't miss the PEAT exams.
My weakness was that I could not memorize stuff if my life depended on it.
I had to understand. Which stood me in good stead because even if the context changed, I had the core to build upon. I love the Sullivan Physical Rehab book. It got me to understand the basics.
Write along if that is your study style.
Make diagrams, flow charts, tables..anything that helps you UNDERSTAND.
I cant stress that enough. Don't try to cram words without knowing what they mean.
If you come across something unfamiliar and cant find it anywhere, google it.
It is doable. I didn't take any course /class. It all comes down to one word - study. Study hard. Study well. Study smart.
And never give up. You can do this !
Good luck and god bless.

Last edited:
Where do we check our scores ? On the state application or wait for FSBPT to send it to us ?

Does anyone know if VA is a hold pass/fail state? Got a buddy who says her status is "score received from prometric" but no pass or fail.

Members don't see this ad :)
failed too. but i dont wanna give up just yet... i am planning to take it this january. congrats to those who passed... and for those who failed just like me, we can do this! i can see brighter ahead!

failed too. but i dont wanna give up just yet... i am planning to take it this january. congrats to those who passed... and for those who failed just like me, we can do this! i can see brighter ahead!
if you like to do group study share your email id.

Congratulations to all of those who passed.
I passed on all sections but failed on 5th section as a result of testing center's computer issue; which i had shared before.
It was my last chance to pass but i am not giving up EVER; i will appeal.

Whoever did not pass, please do not give up ever.

Has anyone taken 9 days live seminar from therapy team? Is it worthy to fly, pay so much money, stay in hotel to take that course?
http://therapyteam.com/

@Pratima1 - definitely appeal

I did not pass again and have one more try. At this point I really don't know what to do anymore. This time around I had a private tutor and gave up working for three months to solely concentrate on studying and received the same score. Did great on the peat (80% and 83%) and I can't believe it. I truly do not believe this is a reflection of my knowledge at this point. I have tried TEP and PT final exam in the past. At this point, I'm running out of money and running out of courage but not giving up just trying to figure out what to do next.

I passed on all sections but failed on 5th section as a result of testing center's computer issue; which i had shared before.

Has anyone taken 9 days live seminar from therapy team? Is it worthy to fly, pay so much money, stay in hotel to take that course?

Considering therapy team too? Anyone have personal reviews ?

@Pratima1 - definitely appeal

I did not pass again and have one more try. At this point I really don't know what to do anymore. This time around I had a private tutor and gave up working for three months to solely concentrate on studying and received the same score. Did great on the peat (80% and 83%) and I can't believe it. I truly do not believe this is a reflection of my knowledge at this point. I have tried TEP and PT final exam in the past. At this point, I'm running out of money and running out of courage but not giving up just trying to figure out what to do next.
I admire your bravado ! Great score on PEAT..difficult to believe u didn't make it. Must hv missed by a whisker.

Does it have anything to do with focus during the exam ? Just trying to help here.
Or too much anxiety making you read too much into the question? Relating it to past questions you came across?

Why not try just 5 questions every day? Know the reasoning of the right AND the wrong ones.
Then see how you can change the question so the wrong answers are right.
I got this from a Will Crane youtube video.
I never tried it but sounds good for you.

If you read something, ascertain that you understand. It will stay with you longer.

All the best to you, Pratima and everyone hanging in there. Make it happen !

One more thing I want to say here. I wont take names. 2 days before the NPTE, I attended a live webinar and paid 50 dollars for a "highly recommended" video.
The presenter told everyone that unless you score 185/200 on every practice test, you ARE NOT READY for NPTE.
Quite shook me up. Undermined my confidence and made me question my exam readiness.
I literally had to "talk myself" out of it. Was not very pleasant.
Pls DO NOT connect with people who are out there for their own financial gains. Not right before the Boards. DoNOT give them the power to mess with you. All they want is for you to fail and go back to them and stuff their pockets.
Would you believe they said things like:

"Don't read the WHOLE question. "

"No need to read ALL the answer options."

"Pick the first answer you think is correct."

Incredible, really.
Please stay away from such ploys.
Good luck!

I admire your bravado ! Great score on PEAT..difficult to believe u didn't make it. Must hv missed by a whisker.

Does it have anything to do with focus during the exam ? Just trying to help here.
Or too much anxiety making you read too much into the question? Relating it to past questions you came across?

Why not try just 5 questions every day? Know the reasoning of the right AND the wrong ones.
Then see how you can change the question so the wrong answers are right.
I got this from a Will Crane youtube video.
I never tried it but sounds good for you.

If you read something, ascertain that you understand. It will stay with you longer.

All the best to you, Pratima and everyone hanging in there. Make it happen !
that would be me.. too much anxiety during exam.. its like i am on my 2nd set and i can still hear my heart pounding!

that would be me.. too much anxiety during exam.. its like i am on my 2nd set and i can still hear my heart pounding!

A good place to start is to feel in control.
Instead of thinking They are testing me,
Think - I know my stuff and I am gonna show them that I've got this !

Good luck!

It's getting harder and harder.Now they ask a 26 in Toefl speaking and I read that is almost impossible to pass it,......so depressing for international graduates.
is there anybody here that passed this section ?
whats' the remediation plan for NPTE?can somebody clarify?thx

It's getting harder and harder.Now they ask a 26 in Toefl speaking and I read that is almost impossible to pass it,......so depressing for international graduates.
is there anybody here that passed this section ?
whats' the remediation plan for NPTE?can somebody clarify?thx

Delia, pls don't be disheartened. It does sound difficult, I agree. But it's not impossible. My Toefl score is 117/120. Of which Speaking is 28/30. I agree it takes effort and time. But it can be done. You can't give up so easily. Come on! You can do this.

PTatHeart ,thanks for all your help and encouragement!
I'll try again.I started to think that is something different with international graduates ,a different criteria for passing,because this time I was confident that I'll pas,..I was confident with the answer for most of the questions.....but you are the prove that it can be done.So I don't give up.

hi

Last edited:
Hello everyone,
I'm new here and was reading your posts. I also toke the last test in October and unfortunately I didn't pass..... After feeling worse than nothing yesterday I just want to put this failure behind and start studying again. I'm an international graduate and out of school for many years now....so Im thinking about taking a prep course this time....anybody knows if the therapy team is good???? Going to buy the new O'Sullivan and Scorebuilders, also PEAT that I didn't take the last time.... any other advice in books??
Thank you and congratulations for those who passed, well done!!!!!

Where do we check our scores ? On the state application or wait for FSBPT to send it to us ?

You can check your score at FSBPT status of my request 10 days after the exam. So that's probably next Tuesday or Wed. Congrats

Hi everyone I have been reading your posts, Im a chilean PT , I graduated here in Chile I had to take the TOEFL test before I could take the NPTE, so for me I pretty much had to study a LOT for this test, I didn't have much knowledge about some things that are tested in the NPTE , but I studied 4-6 hrs a day for the better part of this year ( Im not saying you have to study THAT much to pass the test) while I worked part-time , I quit my job 2 month before the test so I could focus better. I also tried to take 1 or 2 practice exams each week .

I scored at first mid 60s on the therapy ed book and never passed the mid 70s on the scorebuilders, I took both PEAT exams two weeks before the test and I got 78% and 81% in each one.

after each exam I reviewed all questions and all answers ( correct and incorrect) I didn't try to memorize them, just understand them so next time I took and exam and I found the question to be similar I would know what the correct answer was, I read I think in total 15 times the therapy ed book , wrote notes on it and also read a few times the scorebuilers one , taking notes aswell. I found that Pathology Implication for Physical Therapist book and sullivan book were very helpful to understand the material, I started studying with another chilean PT that was also taking the test on October two month before the NPTE , we studied everyday together for 1-2 hrs and send eachother questions constantly

At the end we both passed the exam on our first try, but if anyone of you didm´t please don´t be discouraged most of the time you don´t pass because you are too nervous or anxious not because you don´t know the stuff .

just keep trying!!!!

Does anyone know if VA is a hold pass/fail state? Got a buddy who says her status is "score received from prometric" but no pass or fail.
I had that before score received from prometric and then after 36 hours it stated failed.

Hi everyone I have been reading your posts, Im a chilean PT , I graduated here in Chile I had to take the TOEFL test before I could take the NPTE, so for me I pretty much had to study a LOT for this test, I didn't have much knowledge about some things that are tested in the NPTE , but I studied 4-6 hrs a day for the better part of this year ( Im not saying you have to study THAT much to pass the test) while I worked part-time , I quit my job 2 month before the test so I could focus better. I also tried to take 1 or 2 practice exams each week .

I scored at first mid 60s on the therapy ed book and never passed the mid 70s on the scorebuilders, I took both PEAT exams two weeks before the test and I got 78% and 81% in each one.

after each exam I reviewed all questions and all answers ( correct and incorrect) I didn't try to memorize them, just understand them so next time I took and exam and I found the question to be similar I would know what the correct answer was, I read I think in total 15 times the therapy ed book , wrote notes on it and also read a few times the scorebuilers one , taking notes aswell. I found that Pathology Implication for Physical Therapist book and sullivan book were very helpful to understand the material, I started studying with another chilean PT that was also taking the test on October two month before the NPTE , we studied everyday together for 1-2 hrs and send eachother questions constantly

At the end we both passed the exam on our first try, but if anyone of you didm´t please don´t be discouraged most of the time you don´t pass because you are too nervous or anxious not because you don´t know the stuff .

just keep trying!!!!

Hi,
Congratulations on passing!!! So, did u study this whole year?

Guys, please don't take this the wrong way. I ALWAYS recommend studying with someone who did well on the exam. I know study groups may sound like a good idea, but a group made up of those who failed will not address individual weaknesses. There is also the issue of harmonization, meaning that everyone should be using the same materials and moving at the same pace.

Guys, please don't take this the wrong way. I ALWAYS recommend studying with someone who did well on the exam. I know study groups may sound like a good idea, but a group made up of those who failed will not address individual weaknesses. There is also the issue of harmonization, meaning that everyone should be using the same materials and moving at the same pace.

Hi,
Do you know anything about The Therapy Team? Any information if its a good course??
I didn't pass and I'm getting desperate here trying to figure out what could help me to pass next time....though about taking their 8 week course but it is so expensive I just would like to know if its a good class. I would really appreciate any help!!!
Thanks

Hi,
Do you know anything about The Therapy Team? Any information if its a good course??
I didn't pass and I'm getting desperate here trying to figure out what could help me to pass next time....though about taking their 8 week course but it is so expensive I just would like to know if its a good class. I would really appreciate any help!!!
Thanks

Hi. Sorry, but I never took a formal course. I used O'Sullivan's TherapyEd study guide and found that it was all I needed to prepare for the exam. I used the study guide as outlined and did not jump around based on my own "perceived" weaknesses. I also had a copy of score builders and found that helpful also, but did not use it much in terms of information assimilation. I studied 4-6 hours for 5 days of the week x6 weeks before the July exam and I did well.

Hi. Sorry, but I never took a formal course. I used O'Sullivan's TherapyEd study guide and found that it was all I needed to prepare for the exam. I used the study guide as outlined and did not jump around based on my own "perceived" weaknesses. I also had a copy of score builders and found that helpful also, but did not use it much in terms of information assimilation. I studied 4-6 hours for 5 days of the week x6 weeks before the July exam and I did well.

Thank you much for answering!!!!

Thank you so much for answering anyway!!!!

Hi everyone!
I also didnt pass. I am applauding in CAlifornia. Do you know what are the steps to reapply to take the npte in January 2016 again? Do I need to seend all my application again? I saw the deadline is nov 9? Thanks!

is it advisable to take the PEat again or buy it again when one already took it the first time he took the NPTE?

is it advisable to take the PEat again or buy it again when one already took it the first time he took the NPTE?

I remember someone mentioning that it is the same thing. I would rather call up FSBPT and check with them.