NRMP questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedBri

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is so confusing so let me tell you what happened after the osteopathic match today and then ask questions.
I did NOT take the USMLE and did NOT match today. I applied to as many programs as I could in the scramble but haven't heard back yet, although I do have an interview on Thursday.
I did not register for the NRMP, possibly d/t a misunderstanding. Are USMLE scores required to register for the MD match? One program I'm interested in doesn't say either way if it requires the USMLE even though they DO takes DOs. I couldn't find deadlines to register for that match although clearly I couldn't interview in the regular manner since residency deadlines have passed. So, thinking of the SOAP/MD scramble only, can I still register for that match and then apply in that scramble IF I haven't matched into a program by then? Or is participating in that match completely out now?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

From what I see, you can still register up until the rank deadline. You will need to update your information in ERAS and probably submit a blank certified rank list.

Reactions: 1 user
All you can do is try. I can't remember the specifics though. If you can get registered then you'll probably be able to SOAP.

Just be prepared to be asked a lot about why you didn't match, I wouldn't get too into the fact that you didn't apply ACGME.

And no, you 100% do not have to take the USMLE to apply for the NRMP. Not doing so will limit the programs you can apply to because some individual programs require it for consideration, but the NRMP/ACGME do not care if you took it or not.

Last edited: