NSU-COM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Awfully strange.

Are you above their median GPA and MCAT?
HA! 24 mcat, 3.1 undergrad gpa.. 3.4 grad gpa (masters in neurobio and physiology from northwestern unil)

Members don't see this ad.

Awfully strange.

Are you above their median GPA and MCAT?

I believe stats-wise, I am above their median. I've been complete since August, and haven't heard back either. I wonder if there is a red flag somewhere in my application that I am not aware of. must be patient! :xf: for all of us

I believe stats-wise, I am above their median. I've been complete since August, and haven't heard back either. I wonder if there is a red flag somewhere in my application that I am not aware of. must be patient! :xf: for all of us

Im waiting too....mot as long but since I submitted the secondary I haven't heard anything at all. I emailed them and never got a response either...

Members don't see this ad :)

I thought that I might have a red flag too, but being confident in your application is the only mentality you should have right now.

It's interesting to hear that I'm not one of the few then. Why are so many people being put on the alternate list?

I also went to the experience day on November 4th and was put on the alternate list about a week later.

The thing is, Anastasia just emailed me yesterday requesting an interview. Okay I'm glad for the opportunity, but honestly what's going on? I mean if my application wasn't good enough to begin with why didn't they just offer me a traditional interview in the first place? Now I'm paying more than double the airfare and hotel accommodations for a single interview (even if it is my first choice). It's just the principle that has me frustrated.

Frustration all around, I know I'm not unique, but seriously. This is backwards. Anyway good luck to all of you --- hard to enjoy the holidays with all this stress.+pity+

I have no clue, the same thing happened to me. I went to the November 4th "experience day" and they made it seem as if we were already in. In fact one of the doctors even told me "don't worry about getting in, they want you here for a reason." I was pretty shocked myself when I learned I was put on the alternate list. I too would have wanted a tradional interview. It makes no sense!

accepted!!! 28 mcat and 3.96 gpa

interviewed on Novemeber 2 and accepted like 2 weeks later

Headed down tomorrow for Friday's Experience day! PM if you are around early!

I have no clue, the same thing happened to me. I went to the November 4th "experience day" and they made it seem as if we were already in. In fact one of the doctors even told me "don't worry about getting in, they want you here for a reason." I was pretty shocked myself when I learned I was put on the alternate list. I too would have wanted a tradional interview. It makes no sense!

Have you had a chance to speak with anyone regarding your candidacy?

I have several theories as to why we were wait-listed:

There were a lot of guys that day and the historical split is 50:50 guys:girls. To stick to that maybe they had to wait-list more guys.

They put us on the wait-list to see if we would try to get off of it. In other words, maybe they were apprehensive about offering us a spot based on our transcripts and want to see that we really want to go to their school. Regarding this, I wrote a letter to the admissions committee/dean.

They are fans of the Rick-Roll.:thumbdown:

Anyone from the Nov. 10th group hear anything?

I interviewed Nov. 10th, and am still playing the waiting game. I'm pretty sure that Anastasia told us to contact her if we don't hear anything by Dec. 12th, but please correct me if I'm wrong. So if I don't hear by tomorrow, I'm going to try to get in touch with her first thing Monday morning to see what the hold up is. Good luck everybody!

Have you had a chance to speak with anyone regarding your candidacy?

I have several theories as to why we were wait-listed:

There were a lot of guys that day and the historical split is 50:50 guys:girls. To stick to that maybe they had to wait-list more guys.

They put us on the wait-list to see if we would try to get off of it. In other words, maybe they were apprehensive about offering us a spot based on our transcripts and want to see that we really want to go to their school. Regarding this, I wrote a letter to the admissions committee/dean.

They are fans of the Rick-Roll.:thumbdown:

I was kind of along the same line that they wanted to see if we really wanted to go. I mean they went as far as to call us all "exceptional candidtates" so maybe they didn't want to offer us a spot unless they knew for certain we had intentions of going to that school. Did you feel you did anything that would have caused you to be put on the waitlist, because I know I can't think of anything? Someone else put up the idea that maybe their class was getting too full and they have to wait for room to take us off? I'm not sure.

Ok I am a little confused with webstar. When I go under admissions I see it say "Admission type: doctor of osteopathic medicine" "current program: Dr of osteopathic medicine" and I have the admission slots there as well. I was told on the waitlist, but there is no status on my webstar as being on the waitlist. What does this mean or am I just reading into this too much? What will webstar actually say when you are accepted?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok I am a little confused with webstar. When I go under admissions I see it say "Admission type: doctor of osteopathic medicine" "current program: Dr of osteopathic medicine" and I have the admission slots there as well. I was told on the waitlist, but there is no status on my webstar as being on the waitlist. What does this mean or am I just reading into this too much? What will webstar actually say when you are accepted?
Do you have the first and second deposit slots under "requirements"?

Do you have the first and second deposit slots under "requirements"?

Yes they are under requirements, but I called admissions earlier today and they still have me on the alternate list. I'm really confused now.

I was kind of along the same line that they wanted to see if we really wanted to go. I mean they went as far as to call us all "exceptional candidtates" so maybe they didn't want to offer us a spot unless they knew for certain we had intentions of going to that school. Did you feel you did anything that would have caused you to be put on the waitlist, because I know I can't think of anything? Someone else put up the idea that maybe their class was getting too full and they have to wait for room to take us off? I'm not sure.

I don't think it's getting too full. They have 200 seats and typically accept 300. I find it hard to believe that they're nearing that 300, of course this is nearly baseless.

As for the the certainty of our intentions...yes, I feel it's so important that you contact the school and let them know that you want to go there. I have been calling non-stop and requesting to speak to anyone and everyone and finally had my file brought up personally to the dean by the admissions counselor. Whether it turns out well or not is to be seen, but a letter and some phone calls to address your intentions cannot hurt.

How do you access Webstar to see your status (on deposits, etc)?

nevermind, got it.

webstar.nova.edu for anyone else that is unsure

@mattdrbs1221 Hm, that is confusing. Even more so, I've been accepted for awhile now, and I still don't see "accepted" under my application summary in webstar. I've sent in my primary deposit, and the slot for the first deposit disappears. I now only have a slot for the second deposit. Ask OneHotPepper7 how NSU let him/her know of his/her acceptance. On page 18, he/she had been pulled of the alternate list

I talked to someone in admissions who told me that there was a delay in the decisions process. She said that we should be hearing soon. I asked if she thought it would be by next week, but she said she couldn't say. I bet that they are waiting for a deposit deadline to pass so that they will have more spots to offer before the holidays, and hopefully the waitlisters and the recent interviewees will get a nice Christmas present in the mail.

has NSU rejected anyone post secondary?
because ive been complete for more than 3 months now and still under review :-s
should i just take it as a rejection by now?

If they didn't send you a rejection letter, you haven't been rejected. Stay positive!

For those of you who haven't gotten/checked your email, I was told that decisions for the Nov. 10th group will be given out sometime during the week of Dec. 19th. I assume this applies to waitlisters and others who have interviewed during November as well, but don't take my word for it.

I talked to someone in admissions who told me that there was a delay in the decisions process. She said that we should be hearing soon. I asked if she thought it would be by next week, but she said she couldn't say. I bet that they are waiting for a deposit deadline to pass so that they will have more spots to offer before the holidays, and hopefully the waitlisters and the recent interviewees will get a nice Christmas present in the mail.

You are right about a deposit deadline...anyone accepted since september has until Dec 14 to respond (to any medical school, they all have similar dates). So I'm guessing a few weeks after that they will start making more decisions. Good luck to everyone!

Does anyone know why NSU has such high indebtedness compared to other schools for 2010 grads?

According to osteopathic medical college book, the average indebtedness was $290k for 2010 grads from NSU, and $215k for 2010 grads from AZCOM. This is strange because the cost of living and tuition both appear to be less at NSU then AZCOM. Why such a difference? In case you cant tell, Im trying to decide between the two.

1st post!

Does anyone know where the status is supposed to appear?:scared:

I log in to WebStar and then to my submitted appand this is what I see :confused: (in addition to my ID info and docs received):

Application Data
Admission Term: Fall 2012
Admission Type: Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine
Current Program
Dr of Osteopathic Medicine
Level: Prof Doctorate - Osteopathic
Program: Osteopathic Medicine
Catalog Term: Fall 2012
College: College of Osteopathic Med
Campus: Main Campus - HPD
Major and Department: Osteopathic Medicine, Dr ofOsteopathic Medicine

Where am I supposed to look at the “status” changefor when I get accepted?!?! (hopeful :D)

P.S. I already attended Experience Day :D

1st post!

I log in to WebStar and then to my submitted appand this is what I see :confused: (in addition to my ID info and docs received):

Application Data
Current Program

Where am I supposed to look at the “status” changefor when I get accepted?!?! (hopeful :D)

I think the only changes they make is to add first/second deposit slots under "requirements" if you are accepted or waitlisted.

Isn't AZCOM like $50k per year? NSU is no where near that much. Cost of living couldnt make up that difference. Those stats are wrong.

Has anyone talked to the admissions counselors recently about the decision date? It's been 8 days now since the committee last met.

Has anyone talked to the admissions counselors recently about the decision date? It's been 8 days now since the committee last met.

Anatasia has said that decisions would be out by next week for those who interviewed till the week of Nov 15

I interviewed 11/28 and Anastasia said I would know at some point during the week of 12/19.. Good luck!

1st post!

Application Data
Current Program

I also attended experience day on November 4th and I also do not see a status on my webstar. I am on the alternate list but there is not a status section where I can see that. I'm still confused haha

.Anastasia just replied to my email a couple of minutes ago.

.Good Afternoon,.
. .
. .
.I am schedule to meet with the Dean tomorrow evening. I will present your file to him and once signed I will be able to advise you of the comittees recommendation. Unfortunatly, you wont receive this information until Friday afternoon (the latest)..
. .
. .
. .
. .
.Sincerely,.
. .
. .
.Anastasia P. Leveille.
.Admissions Counselor.
.College of Osteopathic Medicine.
.Telephone : 954-262-1113 or 800 356-0026 ex 21113.
.Email: [email protected].

.Anastasia just replied to my email a couple of minutes ago.

.Good Afternoon,.
. .
. .
.I am schedule to meet with the Dean tomorrow evening. I will present your file to him and once signed I will be able to advise you of the comittees recommendation. Unfortunatly, you wont receive this information until Friday afternoon (the latest)..
. .
. .
. .
. .
.Sincerely,.
. .
. .
.Anastasia P. Leveille.
.Admissions Counselor.
.College of Osteopathic Medicine.
.Telephone : 954-262-1113 or 800 356-0026 ex 21113.
.Email: [email protected].
what was your email about..?

Hello Anastasia:

Do you know if decisions are schedule to go out today or early tomorrow morning? I ask because I have a DMU interview on the 16th and didn't want to postpone/cancel unless a decision is expected within the day or so. Thank you again for your time.

****That's the email I sent her. I was part of the Nov. 4 experience day and was subsequently wait-listed.
cleardot.gif

Does anyone know why NSU has such high indebtedness compared to other schools for 2010 grads?

According to osteopathic medical college book, the average indebtedness was $290k for 2010 grads from NSU, and $215k for 2010 grads from AZCOM. This is strange because the cost of living and tuition both appear to be less at NSU then AZCOM. Why such a difference? In case you cant tell, Im trying to decide between the two.

I noticed that too. Anybody wants to elaborate?

I too would like someone to elaborate on this... I also would like to say how rediculous I think it is how NSU claims that osteopathic medicine is "distinguished by an emphasis on primary care and a tradition of caring of patients in underserved rural and urban areas." If I do end up getting accepted to this school, I would never consider going into primary care. I've been broke all my life and in debt for a long time now, so I will be shooting for a residency program that can guarantee my loans will be paid off in a timely manner after training.

I too would like someone to elaborate on this... I also would like to say how rediculous I think it is how NSU claims that osteopathic medicine is "distinguished by an emphasis on primary care and a tradition of caring of patients in underserved rural and urban areas." If I do end up getting accepted to this school, I would never consider going into primary care. I've been broke all my life and in debt for a long time now, so I will be shooting for a residency program that can guarantee my loans will be paid off in a timely manner after training.

If you review their match lists, it is clear that not all of their students go into primary care or work in rural areas for that matter.

If you review their match lists, it is clear that not all of their students go into primary care or work in rural areas for that matter.

Agreed, I think it would be stranger if they said they're focused on matching students into specialties. Their match lists are impressive.

I remember the dean saying it was very close to 50-50. 50% go into primary care/FM while 50% go into specialties. There will already be plenty of students who know they want FM/primary care/IM or rural care so work hard, and I don't see why you wouldn't match into a specialty.

I also would like to say how rediculous I think it is how NSU claims that osteopathic medicine is "distinguished by an emphasis on primary care and a tradition of caring of patients in underserved rural and urban areas."

Why is this ridiculous? If you read the vast majority of osteopathic medical school mission statements (easily done by reading through the CIB), the trend is filling the gap in primary care and underserved/rural areas.

Why is this ridiculous? If you read the vast majority of osteopathic medical school mission statements (easily done by reading through the CIB), the trend is filling the gap in primary care and underserved/rural areas.
It's not; it's rediculous.

Because tuition is almost way more than what it is for MD schools, at least in Florida. Completely rediculous and ridiculous! If they want to encourage students to go into primary care, why would they want to put you in so much debt? Tuition should be less than what it is for MD schools if that's truly their mission. This is the only reason I'd rather go to an MD school. If I get accepted to one, I might actually consider primary care.

Sorry to sidetrack the original question with my complaints...are the stats really wrong? It sure seems like it!

Because tuition is almost way more than what it is for MD schools, at least in Florida. Completely rediculous and ridiculous! If they want to encourage students to go into primary care, why would they want to put you in so much debt? Tuition should be less than what it is for MD schools if that's truly their mission. This is the only reason I'd rather go to an MD school. If I get accepted to one, I might actually consider primary care.

That's like asking why the sky is blue. NSU is still a business, and for the most part, tuition is comparable to most MD schools. It sounds like price of tuition is your biggest concern, not the match.

Wow, you're right! That's exactly like asking why is the sky blue.

FSU - 18K
UCF - 21K
FAU - 25K
USF - 27K
FIU - 28K
LECOM-B - 29K
UF - 30K
UM - 30K
Average for FL schools (NSU not included) - 26K
Average for FL schools (NSU included) - 27K
NSU - 38K

I personally wouldn't call that comparable, but that's just my opinion. LECOM is also still a business, and I would consider their tuition to be comparable to the average in FL. So I just don't get what the deal is with NSU.

Freaking bastards took 6 months to reject me!!! Disgusting school..screw them dumb *****s..so inconsiderate!

Freaking bastards took 6 months to reject me!!! Disgusting school..screw them dumb *****s..so inconsiderate!

Don't get bent out of shape. You win some and you lose some. If I remember correctly you posted about your stats being lower than their averages earlier in this thread. I know this is not just about numbers but consider their position. They receive a couple thousand applications for 230 spots. This whole process is a crapshoot.