NSU-COM Interview Discussion thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ok then I guess I should get my mom a chair to wait by the mailbox with for the next few months

Is there anyone that applied to NSU that wouldn't choose it as their first choice? It's like everyone I talk to would leave any other school in a heartbeat for NSU.

Well I think it would be hard to say "no" to the campus, the location, and the weather.

Members don't see this ad.

so anyone heard of any acceptances who interviewed on 1/25 or later?? i was thinking of calling closer to the end of the day tomorrow but i'm thinking it might even be better to wait a week. any idea how many seats they have left? i think we all got different numbers because i was told that they would have about 20-25% left, HOD had mentioned that their later estimate was ~35 which is close to 20% and now someone said that it was closer to 5-10%. this is killing me.... ahhhh

I'm assuming that they won't even start tallying up how many seats they have available until today or tomorrow. Let's face it, they're slow. That being the case, I'd be surprised if anyone hears anything sooner than Friday.

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone have the Dean's address??

so anyone heard of any acceptances who interviewed on 1/25 or later?? i was thinking of calling closer to the end of the day tomorrow but i'm thinking it might even be better to wait a week. any idea how many seats they have left? i think we all got different numbers because i was told that they would have about 20-25% left, HOD had mentioned that their later estimate was ~35 which is close to 20% and now someone said that it was closer to 5-10%. this is killing me.... ahhhh

It's probably better not to think of that.

I'm driving myself nuts enough wondering "...did I get in...where am I going to go to school?"

I think if I tried to put numbers on it I'd be in the corner rocking back and forth muttering "no word makes fifi go crazy...10%....15? 7? FOUR?!?!?!?"

As much as I'd like to say "we should all just relax and not worry about it at all" (which is great advice...wish I coudl follow it) I know full well that's not gonna happen (at least not for me). Good luck to everyone that's waiting to hear. I'll keep one set of fingers crossed for me and one for you :)

As behind as they are in admissions I wouldn't expect to hear anything for a few weeks, but I still keep checking this forum and my mailbox more than I ever had before I was waitlisted, so apparently I've lost what little mind I had.

5-10% is a fact. I asked one the admission counselors myself during my interview. However, he said the percentage will definitely change after March 15th. Did anybody have Dr. Bleicher as the interviewer? Out of the thank you emails I have sent to my interviewers, he's the only that responded to my email, wished me the best of the luck and hoped that everything works out. I thought that was very nice of him, and I will take it as a positive sign. I interviewed on March 13th, and they told me that I would hear back from them in two or three weeks.

5-10% is a fact. I asked one the admission counselors myself during my interview. However, he said the percentage will definitely change after March 15th. Did anybody have Dr. Bleicher as the interviewer? Out of the thank you emails I have sent to my interviewers, he's the only that responded to my email, wished me the best of the luck and hoped that everything works out. I thought that was very nice of him, and I will take it as a positive sign. I interviewed on March 13th, and they told me that I would hear back from them in two or three weeks.

5-10% would be roughly 12-24 spots or something like that? About how many people have interviewed since january? I wish they could just give me the list of people accepted so i could free up some more spots for us:smuggrin:

Figured I would start a list of all those applicants waiting for a post March 15th decision so that we can get a better idea of number of applicants waiting to hear... The list is far from complete. Feel free to add your name and those from past posts!! Not sure what good this will do, but at the very least, it might be interesting. [Please note next to your name the date of your interview and whether you have been waitlisted or are still awaiting a decision]

Post Interview Silence:
Springhurst (01/25)
Masalamonkey (01/25)
Bonsante (03/13)

Waitlisted: *Date = date of WL notification
ellinopedo182 (9/2007)
gqmo16 (11/2007)
d-bone (2/2008)
mtbiac (2/1)
umean2tellme (3/4)

Post Interview Silence:
Springhurst (01/25)
Masalamonkey (01/25)
Bonsante (03/13)

ellinopedo182 (9/2007)
gqmo16 (11/2007)
d-bone (1/25/2008 interview, 2/1 waitlisted)
mtbiac (2/1)
umean2tellme (3/4)

I just edited the date someone listed for me. For those adding themselves, remember to quote the previous listing and delete the QUOTE commands at the beginning and end. If you don't know what you're doing, just list your addition and someone can add it.

Post Interview Silence:
Springhurst (01/25)
Masalamonkey (01/25)
Bonsante (03/13)
justletmeinplz (1/18)

ellinopedo182 (9/2007)
gqmo16 (11/2007)
mtbiac (2/1)
umean2tellme (3/4)

I just edited the date someone listed for me. For those adding themselves, remember to quote the previous listing and delete the QUOTE commands at the beginning and end. If you don't know what you're doing, just list your addition and someone can add it.

Post Interview Silence:
justletmeinplz (1/18)
Springhurst (01/25)
Masalamonkey (01/25)
movinfwd867 (01/29)
Bonsante (03/13)

ellinopedo182 (9/2007)
gqmo16 (11/2007)
mtbiac (2/1)
umean2tellme (3/4)

Members don't see this ad :)
Figured I would start a list of all those applicants waiting for a post March 15th decision so that we can get a better idea of number of applicants waiting to hear... The list is far from complete. Feel free to add your name and those from past posts!! Not sure what good this will do, but at the very least, it might be interesting. [Please note next to your name the date of your interview and whether you have been waitlisted or are still awaiting a decision]

Post Interview Silence:
Springhurst (01/25)
Masalamonkey (01/25)
Bonsante (03/13)

ellinopedo182 (9/2007)
gqmo16 (11/2007)
d-bone (2/2008)
mtbiac (2/1)
umean2tellme (3/4)
UMCanesMD (2/1)

well, you can add me to the waitlisted section(interviewed 2/1)..also not to be a downer...but i am pretty sure that not everyone who applies to med school lives on this forum...so i feel like making a list will only make people even more crazy as there are probably a ton more people that we will not and cannot know about

well, you can add me to the waitlisted section(interviewed 2/1)..also not to be a downer...but i am pretty sure that not everyone who applies to med school lives on this forum...so i feel like making a list will only make people even more crazy as there are probably a ton more people that we will not and cannot know about

Yeah, I thought of that too. Based on the number of people from my interview group I was guessing about 25-35% of applicants post. Who knows though. Anyways, I was just playing along....

Yeah, I thought of that too. Based on the number of people from my interview group I was guessing about 25-35% of applicants post. Who knows though. Anyways, I was just playing along....

Its very hard to say...but as much as I would love to go to Nova..I have that feeling in the back of my mind that there are like hundreds of people in the same boat as all of us...hopefully im wrong...but knowing Nova's admissions office..they most definetly would set themselves up for numbers like that

Its very hard to say...but as much as I would love to go to Nova..I have that feeling in the back of my mind that there are like hundreds of people in the same boat as all of us...hopefully im wrong...but knowing Nova's admissions office..they most definetly would set themselves up for numbers like that

yeah this school's admissions dept seem like they're understaffed or something (Idk if all admissions departments are like that but from what I've heard about other schools they aren't). Roughly 500 people are interviewed and 230 accepted. A school will probably waitlist like 100 people atleast to make sure they have a full class. NOVA was probably so swamped that after like 1/25 they just waitlisted everyone, in addition to the people that were waitlisted from before. I think they should reject more people post interview (except me :))

Post Interview Silence:
justletmeinplz (1/18)
Springhurst (01/25)
Masalamonkey (01/25)
movinfwd867 (01/29)
monthrawe (02/18)
Bonsante (03/13)

ellinopedo182 (9/2007)
gqmo16 (11/2007)
mtbiac (2/1)
umean2tellme (3/4)

Did anyone else get told whether they're in Group 1, 2 or 3? I called a while ago and got this info, but no one has mentioned it here or anywhere before, like there's groups of waitlisted ppl and group 1 is the first in line to get empty spots... anyone?

Post Interview Silence:
justletmeinplz (1/18)
Springhurst (01/25)
Masalamonkey (01/25)
movinfwd867 (01/29)
monthrawe (02/18)
Bonsante (03/13)

ellinopedo182 (9/2007)
gqmo16 (11/2007)
mtbiac (2/1)
umean2tellme (3/4)

holaa btwww

Post Interview Silence:
justletmeinplz (1/18)
Springhurst (01/25)
Masalamonkey (01/25)
movinfwd867 (01/29)
monthrawe (02/18)
Bonsante (03/13)
flpkg1rl86 [2-18]

ellinopedo182 (9/2007)
gqmo16 (11/2007)
mtbiac (2/1)
umean2tellme (3/4)

NOVA was probably so swamped that after like 1/25 they just waitlisted everyone, in addition to the people that were waitlisted from before. I think they should reject more people post interview (except me :))

There are a lot of people who haven't heard *anything*, so I don't think they waitlisted everybody.

There are a lot of people who haven't heard *anything*, so I don't think they waitlisted everybody.

I'm really curious what the deal is with those who've heard nothing. There's at least one person from my interview date who's got nothing from them at all following the interview. I was waitlisted right away.

Are they in a pile to accept once they know who's committed following second deposits? Or are they holding their rejection letters to go out towards the end of the interview season?

I'm not trying to spook any of those who are in this situation. I'm sure all these scenarios have run through your heads too! It's really not that fair that they've given you guys no clue at all! Hopefully you'll all be accepted right away, hence, taking seats away from us waitlisters. Boooo!

I'm really curious what the deal is with those who've heard nothing. There's at least one person from my interview date who's got nothing from them at all following the interview. I was waitlisted right away.

Are they in a pile to accept once they know who's committed following second deposits? Or are they holding their rejection letters to go out towards the end of the interview season?

I'm not trying to spook any of those who are in this situation. I'm sure all these scenarios have run through your heads too! It's really not that fair that they've given you guys no clue at all! Hopefully you'll all be accepted right away, hence, taking seats away from us waitlisters. Boooo!

That's what I've been told. If you haven't heard anything there is probably a good chance you're in a pile to be accepted. If they hold rejections until the end of the process there is a chance you might be in that pile instead. I know for sure, however, that there is an acceptance pile waiting to be sent.

has anyone actually been accepted off the waitlist yet?

and what does it mean if they waited a while to waitlist me? Took like 3 weeks (or more) if i recall...hate this

anyone have the DEAN's ADDRESS? I want to send a LOI!

has anyone actually been accepted off the waitlist yet?

and what does it mean if they waited a while to waitlist me? Took like 3 weeks (or more) if i recall...hate this

anyone have the DEAN's ADDRESS? I want to send a LOI!

you should send one to his home ;) i think he would definitely appreciate it! I think i may send out a letter of interest, seeing that they are my second choice if i cant get into my first choice.

That's what I've been told. If you haven't heard anything there is probably a good chance you're in a pile to be accepted. If they hold rejections until the end of the process there is a chance you might be in that pile instead. I know for sure, however, that there is an acceptance pile waiting to be sent.

I think they are re-reviewing the files of those that haven't heard anything. I don't think they have a pile of "waiting to reject" ... what'd be the point in that? I mean, some of us that haven't heard may be rejected (or waitlisted) after review, but I don't think they are holding any rejections.

I spoke to Rachel today and asked her about waitlist vs alternate list. I'm a little confused still, but she did say people who haven't heard are technically are waitlisted and are still considered for acceptance, but then she sounded kind of unsure when she was explaining it to me. oh well I'll just wait and see what happens.

I spoke to Rachel today and asked her about waitlist vs alternate list. I'm a little confused still, but she did say people who haven't heard are technically are waitlisted and are still considered for acceptance, but then she sounded kind of unsure when she was explaining it to me. oh well I'll just wait and see what happens.

Does NSU ever reject people? Seriously, it seems that you are either a. accepted b. waitlisted or c. given the silent treatment. The committee supposedly should have met today..so I feel like somebody, maybe, should have heard something concrete?

Since I applied last year, I'm well aware of how frustrating it is to wait. The vast majority of medical students are type A and obsessive compulsive, so I can understand the need to call Rachel every week asking for a verdict...but it won't do you any good. If NSU is your first choice, send a letter of intent. After that, you'll just have to wait.

All interviewed students are qualified for acceptance. That is why NSU screens their applicants. And yes, there is an interview committee which reviews files and grants interviews. I know for fact that they don't waitlist or alt. list everyone. Applicants do get rejected post-interview.

I understand what you're going through, but use caution when you post on SDN. The admissions committee is well aware of SDN, some even peruse SDN to see what applicants are saying. I know for fact that some students have been identified pre and post interview. So, making comments, even in a joking manner, may be misconstrued.

Best of luck everyone and hang in there.

I wish more people would get rejected post interview. I think giving someone false hope is like torture. I mean, it's like if they waitlist/alt list everyone with not intention of admitting many then they could care less about those people. I understand that they have to protect their interests and make sure they have enough seats filled but silent treatment, waitlist, or accept are the only options they use. it must really suck to be on a waiting list for 6 months then get rejected. They send you letters every so often letting them know they are still considering you knowing damn well the only way you're getting in is if they arrest or murder half of the students (not that I want that to happen)

i wish i could just talk to rachel and be like let me in for class of 2013 from now and call it a day.

I understand what you're going through, but use caution when you post on SDN. The admissions committee is well aware of SDN, some even peruse SDN to see what applicants are saying. I know for fact that some students have been identified pre and post interview. So, making comments, even in a joking manner, may be misconstrued.

I think every admissions committee is well aware of SDN. Infact, at one of my interviews, one of the people we met during the day actually said "I'm really not as flighty as they say I am on SDN".

Thanks for all the encouragement/advice HOD.

It's good to know that the adcom does go through and reject some individuals in each interview group, otherwise they would have a ton of wait-lists etc. About those who haven't heard back, I'm pretty sure it's because they are holding our applicatons for potential acceptance, but that would be my guess. I am sure based on the number of seats they will review each of those applications for admission or wait-list. (Btw I'm pretty sure that someone had previously said that wait-list = alternate.) I'm really hoping to hear back soon... it's been almost 2 months now! Good luck to everyone, hopefully most (or all :D) of us will meet each other in the Fall!

You're quite welcome. For those accepted, assignments for academic societies should be distributed soon. Also, the upcoming M2 will be getting their peer mentor assignments. I wonder if i'll have any M1s to t...:smuggrin:, just kidding! :p

I think every admissions committee is well aware of SDN. Infact, at one of my interviews, one of the people we met during the day actually said "I'm really not as flighty as they say I am on SDN".

Thanks for all the encouragement/advice HOD.

That would be a lot of waitlisted individuals. In that case, the adcom, namely Rachel, will receive 250+ students calling her during the week... :eek:

If you're accepted, check out the Class of 2012 Facebook group. I've posted some good material on there. Enjoy.

It's good to know that the adcom does go through and reject some individuals in each interview group, otherwise they would have a ton of wait-lists etc. About those who haven't heard back, I'm pretty sure it's because they are holding our applicatons for potential acceptance, but that would be my guess. I am sure based on the number of seats they will review each of those applications for admission or wait-list. (Btw I'm pretty sure that someone had previously said that wait-list = alternate.) I'm really hoping to hear back soon... it's been almost 2 months now! Good luck to everyone, hopefully most (or all :D) of us will meet each other in the Fall!

You're quite welcome. For those accepted, assignments for academic societies should be distributed soon. Also, the upcoming M2 will be getting their peer mentor assignments. I wonder if i'll have any M1s to t...:smuggrin:, just kidding! :p

Ahaha.

Does every M2 mentor? Or is it something you apply for?

How are they going to inform us of our assignments, via snail mail?

The listserve is up and running. If you look at the Facebook group, directions to be added are included.

Thanks for the info HOD and Seneca20. ::thumbup:

Take it that no one has news? Checked my mail... nada! Guess I survived one more week, though they may have been closed for most/all of last week since it was Spring Break! :hardy::hardy:

HOD: Any new information from your meeting last week?

Take it that no one has news? Checked my mail... nada! Guess I survived one more week, though they may have been closed for most/all of last week since it was Spring Break! :hardy::hardy:

They weren't closed.

I spoke to someone there on wednesday.

Happy Easter everyone (well, those who celebrate it anyway)

:)

I haven't heard anything back from NSUCOM yet, but I was wondering does anybody know what's the acceptance rate for people on the waitlist? This is a state-of-the-art school, and I would love to go to it! Did anybody happen to see Harvey, the patient simulator during their interview? From what I have heard, 25 students can listen to discriminate and clear lung and heart sounds all at once with the mannequin, and it can perspire and dilate its pupils. This is very COOL since I think it is a great way to learn about the human body, and some of the internal factors that regulates it.

HOD: Any new information from your meeting last week?
They are reviewing files at the moment. Hold on there.

HOD your updates seem to be the most informed and are appreciated. Thanks!

This has gotta be the week those of us that have heard nothing finally hear something. I hope...

HOD your updates seem to be the most informed and are appreciated. Thanks!

This has gotta be the week those of us that have heard nothing finally hear something. I hope...

I totally agree - HOD you have been great to us! Thank you!! For those who have yet to hear anything, keep your fingers, eyes, tongue, etc. crossed - lets hope the excellent news comes soon. The anticipation is making me a little loco! :D

I totally agree - HOD you have been great to us! Thank you!! For those who have yet to hear anything, keep your fingers, eyes, tongue, etc. crossed - lets hope the excellent news comes soon. The anticipation is making me a little loco! :D

ditto! HOD, you're awesome! The "thank you" from me is way overdue. You've been tremendously helpful.

And to everyone else waiting, let's hope this is the last week and good news is already on its way. Good luck to all!

Awesome, thanks! Ditto on the appreciation ;)

Does this included waitlisters as well or just people who haven't heard? Do waitlisted people get re-reviewed every comittee meeting or is this separate and at a later date? I'd give anything for Nova at this point!